Jambands.ca

Ontario to ban handheld cell phones while driving.

Velvet

Pfft. First they ban drunk driving and now this:

Drivers in Ontario could be fined as much as $500 if they're caught using their cellphones under a proposed new law.

Transportation Minister Jim Bradley's new legislation calls for a ban on the use of hand-held devices to talk, e-mail or send text messages while driving.

The ban wouldn't affect the use of hands-free devices or 911 calls, but includes portable video games and DVDs.

Global positioning systems will be allowed, as long as they're properly secured to the dashboard.

There are no demerit points attached to the bill, but drivers who place others at risk by using one of the banned devices can also be charged under the existing careless driving laws.

They could face fines of up to $1,000, six demerit points, a driver's licence suspension and even jail time.

Legislation similar to this was introduced for the first time nearly 10 years ago by Progressive Conservative MPP John O'Toole. He thinks the government's legislation should take a softer approach, pushing education over punishment.

"On first offences, what they should do is require them to take some kind of course on driver distraction to show them in these lab things how you are 25 per cent more likely to be in an accident if you're involved with technology. So I would start that way, don't start with the hammer, start with the educational piece, I think that's the important part." said O'Toole.

The ministry says the ban is needed because driver distraction is a factor in 20 per cent of all accidents.

Newfoundland and Labrador became the first province to ban the use of hand-held cellphones in 2003, while Quebec and Nova Scotia both moved earlier this year to stop drivers from using hand-held cellphones.

The Ontario Medical Association is on record saying speaking on a phone while driving puts people at "a significantly greater risk" of getting in an accident, and warns that using hands-free devices doesn't really lower that risk.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/story/2008/10/28/cell-phones.html

As a user of cell phones while driving I say this is a great thing for everyone. Texting is especially dangerous, I can't believe people do that.....

But it has been mentioned in several studies that the distraction of the conversation is also a dangerous thing.

How long till you just can't use a phone in a car, handsfree or not? Maybe some kind of disabling field in the car that activates when its put into drive.

I think this will pass with no opposition and it should....

But it has been mentioned in several studies that the distraction of the conversation is also a dangerous thing.

How long till you just can't use a phone in a car, handsfree or not? Maybe some kind of disabling field in the car that activates when its put into drive.

Then thing about talking to a passenger is everyone involved is in the car and able to simultaneously react to the world around them. If someone cuts you off everyone in the car notices and shuts up, the driver doesn't have to explain why he can't concentrate on the conversation just then. Also, passenger conversation is often idle chit chat and not something that requires much concentration. If you're doing work stuff on the phone or even discussing stuff to pick up at the grocery store it's a different story.

All cellphone use should be banned, though I'd be happy for now if they just banned it while driving. Studies put it on par with drunk driving so the legislators should choose to ignore the lobbyists on this one.

I was listening to somebody talk about this subject on the radio last week. They mentioned that studies have shown that people who talk on hands free cell phones are more distracted than those who talk on regular cells. The main reason being that when people talk on regular cell phones they tend to drive slower. when talking on a hands-free they keep up fast speeds, yet are not fully concentrating on the road. so banning cell phone use could actually lead to more accidents if all of those people were to switch to hands-free cell phone use. There isn't enough data yet to show that banning cell phone use in cars leads to less accidents.

And , I think that you have a point re banning all cell phones. throw in mp3 players at the while you're at it.

You can look for C.D.'s though , mess around with the stereo still and chat with anyone that is in the car: or are those things to be banned on the next rev. of the current Bill. Also if not mistaken don't the friendly neighborhood Police drive around with cell phones.

Edited by Guest

Its sad but true. Sometimes it's one hand on the the spindle, the other frantically lifting CD's one at a time until I find Cully's Frontier Mix '06, or maybe it's Use Your Illusion II, either way, it's my left knee holding down the steering. Dont act like any of you have never done this before...

Edited by Guest

Weird. I've had that exact same idea for the last 2 years. It would affect any number but emergency numbers.