Jambands.ca

The Marriage Ref

dave-O

WTF was this shit?

Anybody else catch this show last night? I lasted about 5 minutes. Seems like a premise that might have worked in 1985. Just because celebrities are laughing doesn’t mean anything is funny. Woof.

Ha! You suckers still watch prime-time TV. I gave up on that shit years ago (except hockey)

Ha! I'm with you Roller. In the last few years, prime-time TV has gone straight down the shit-catcher. If it weren't for sports, movies, The Sarah Silverman Show, and re-runs of Seinfeld, I'd have nothing to watch weeknights 7-10pm. Sundays are a different story though with the cartoon lineup on Fox.

Guest Low Roller
Seriously, this was beyond garbage. I can't believe it made it through any kind of development or pre-production, they rushed this piece of shit straight to air.

[color:purple]Who needs pre-production? It's JERRY SEINFELD!

we are talking about it though. no doubt a lot of other people are talking about it too. maybe thats the objective. just feed us shit. we'll all say yuck but end up eating some of it eventually. most just briefly but others will crave loads.

Can't really debate that. They won't get another 5 minutes from me, but you're probably right about the grand scheme of things.

The only bit of this show i've seen is the following clip with Ricky Gervais:

You have to admit, a panel of Larry David, Madonna and Ricky Gervais on a show called 'The Marriage Ref' (Thu., 10PM ET on NBC) is definitely one of the stranger pop culture phenoms at the moment. Gervais agrees, noting, "I feel like someone's put crack in my drank! What is going on? This is the weirdest show I've ever been on." Ever quick to respond, host Tom Papa shoots back, "Oh, and like every show you're on is sooooo normal."

As usual I completely disagree with you haters. I totally understand the everyman quality that Tom Papa has- his standup has been quite consistently good over the years and his stints in films like The Informant are pronounced- and why Jerry Seinfeld as a producer would want to bring him into people's living rooms. It's a strong premise for a show- you're fucking kidding me right? You think that it doesn't make for good television when Larry fucking David, Madonna (in a rare unguarded mode) and Ricky Gervais shoot from the hip about how fucked up it is that some wife keeps her dead ex-husbands prosthetic leg (with an athletic sock still on) in the closet.

It's not that all your criticisms aren't valid it just happens also to be quite good television, full of water cooler moments that rarely happen in network these days, and only someone of Jerry's clout could pull these people together. Fuck I left out Alec Baldwin in a previous episode talking about how inappropriate it was to have a stripper pole in the bedroom (then making the pinocchio nose gesture). Priceless.

Basically it could and is so much worse that oddly this seems like a grim speck on an already grim horizon, the unexpected beneficiary of the law of diminished expectations.

The only bit of this show i've seen is the following clip with Ricky Gervais:

now I need to see this episode. ricky and larry david on the same program? Ricky makes me laugh hard.

Ever see Ricky Gervais Meets Larry David? It was a fantastic interview on BBC.