Jambands.ca

Superball vs Ottawa Jazz Fest - sway me!

Velvet

On the one side is a three day Phish camping festival less than six hours from home. Tix are $200+, add gas and food expenses and likely some posters and partyin' and it's looking lke a pricey little weekend. Add the fact that I'll have to leave pretty early on Monday morn to make it back to work in the afternoon, so it'll be a potentially rough ending to the weekend.

On the other side is Canada Day in Canada's capital, which is basically my favourite day of the year, and the Ottawa Jazz fest which will be featuring Bela Fleck and The Flecktones and Dan Lanois' new project (which includes my favourite drummer, Brian Blade) on the same weekend as Phish. This will all be free (I'll be acquiring a jazzfest pass either way), with any partying expenses being of the at-home variety, so it'll save me some serious bucks not going to Phish.

Added elements: While on one hand I'll be seeing at least three other Phish shows this summer, bring my total shows around the 50 mark, so do I really need to see three more? On the other hand, my lady really wants to go, I dare say she'll be going whether I do or not, but I'd say she really wants me to go.

So Phish is Phish, but it's up against free Fleck and Black Dub and Canaday...

What should I do?

Unless you need to celebrate Canada Day with balloons, it seems the choice is clear since you've laid it out so well already.

...but this is coming from a guy that's never seen Phish, their light show, or the sea of good times wash over a crowd like tide rushing back in over shallow waters.

There is no wrong decision here. Either way the times will be good.

To my mind, the value for money is in Ottawa. We have here in our own backyard two amazing festivals that deliver astounding quality for your entertainment dollar. That said, I probably get more out of the jazz fest than most of the skanks on this board...

Also, have you heard Black Dub yet? Absolutely gorgeous. It's really growing on me with each listen. Daniel Lanois is a genius, and Brian Blade is an all right drummer, too. This will be a beautiful weekend of music.

Tough call. Who knows? I guess if you're already seeing Phish three other times this summer that's one thing... But something tells me your heart & soul will seem far away while having a good time in Ottawa. I find the exhaustion factor is increasingly weighing in for me these days (I'm ashamed to admit). I don't always listen to it, but it certainly rears its ugly head.

Bottom line, when these two "tough" choices comprise your dilemma, life is good. Real good. Enjoy!

How is Heather even allowing this question?

It's three days of Phish Todd.

An epic maze will be played and a great time will be had by all.

I vote you go. You live in Canada I'm pretty sure you'll be able to celebrate Canada Day again some time.

Toddles, the last time I took the advice of someone half my age I awoke in a ditch and noticed I was spooning a dead marlin while the cops were slapping cuffs on me but the worst part is that I was wearing a dress and didn’t remember what had happened the 3 days prior.

If that is what you are looking for then I say go for it buddy.

Toddles, the last time I took the advice of someone half my age I awoke in a ditch and noticed I was spooning a dead marlin while the cops were slapping cuffs on me but the worst part is that I was wearing a dress and didn’t remember what had happened the 3 days prior.

If that is what you are looking for then I say go for it buddy.

That sounds like an amazing time!

Dang young people have great ideas...