Jambands.ca

Festival season hits Ottawa

Velvet

Rest up folks, the Ottawa festival marathon starts tomorrow, a mere two days off in the next 26.

June

22 Ribfest

23 Ribfest/Jazzfest (Robert Plant)

24 Ribfest/Jazzfest (Elvis Costello)

25 Ribfest/Jazzfest (k.d. lang)/Prince in Montreal

26 Ribfest/Jazzfest (soulive)

27 Jazzfest (Sisters Euclid)

28 Jazzfest (Youssou Ndour)

29 Jazzfest (Paco de Lucia)

30 Jazzfest (James Cotton)

July

1 Canaday/Super Ball IX

2 Jazzfest (Jaga Jazzist/Bela Fleck)/Super Ball IX

3 Jazzfest (Black Dub)/Super Ball IX

4 DAY OFF

5 Bluesfest

6 Bluesfest

7 Bluesfest

8 Bluesfest

9 Bluesfest

10 Bluesfest

11 DAY OFF

12 Bluesfest

13 Bluesfest

14 Bluesfest

15 Bluesfest

16 Bluesfest

17 Bluesfest

Then of course there's McCartney, Blues Skies and Folkfest, but at least there will be some breathing room in there!

Whew! Hang on to yer livers people, and happy summertime (which officially begins today doesn't it?).

Every summer I get excited for Ribfest and every summer I forget about one of my favorite parts about Ribfest.

That first waff my nose gets as I get off the bus in the downtown core. Jesusfuck it smells good down here!!!!!!!!!!

You ribbin' today?

People of Ottawa: for the love of fuck, go see Elvis Costello on the 24th. I saw him over here a few months ago for a solo show, and he was mind-bogglingly good. The Ottawa show is full band; I'm not sure if he is doing the Spinning Songbook for that date. Either way, you either have incredibly important previous engagements or some sort of mental defect if you skip this.

People of Ottawa: for the love of fuck, go see Elvis Costello on the 24th. I saw him over here a few months ago for a solo show, and he was mind-bogglingly good. The Ottawa show is full band; I'm not sure if he is doing the Spinning Songbook for that date. Either way, you either have incredibly important previous engagements or some sort of mental defect if you skip this.

I will definitely be there for EC. very much looking forward to it. haven't seen him since late '90s.

this will be my fifth EC show. First show was at MLG in 1980 with Squeeze opening. I was dissapointed because he played a bunch of "newer" stuff. My next show at Kingswood, about 15 years later) I thoroughly enjoyed. Saw him there again, and once with Steve Nieve at the Warehouse.

I never really 'got' Elvis Costello. I've seen him once or twice and saw his tv show a few times, but I will definitely be at the show tomorrow with ears agape. Hopefully the magic will pierce through my armour this time.

See you guys there Velvet!

I never really 'got' Elvis Costello. I've seen him once or twice and saw his tv show a few times' date=' but I will definitely be at the show tomorrow with ears agape. Hopefully the magic will pierce through my armour this time.[/quote']

See you guys there Velvet!

he's got some GREAT stuff, and IMO some not so great stuff. I actually lost interest in his work during the early-mid 80s. His first three albums are brilliant IMO. And then he picked it up again in 1986 when he released two albums - King of America and Blood and Chocolate. In 1987 he recorded some stuff with Sir Paul McCartney. Some of these songs were releases on Elvis' Mighty Like a Rose in 1991 and Sir Paul's Flowers in the Dirt in 1989.

People of Ottawa: for the love of fuÇk, go see Elvis Costello on the 24th. I saw him over here a few months ago for a solo show, and he was mind-bogglingly good. The Ottawa show is full band; I'm not sure if he is doing the Spinning Songbook for that date. Either way, you either have incredibly important previous engagements or some sort of mental defect if you skip this.

Elvis Costello was perfect tonight. Really.