Jambands.ca

Ottawa Folk Festival

Freak By Night

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I cannot believe is that the Harvest Picnic is charging $150 for a DAY with Neil headlining, while you can see all 5 days at OFF for less.

Congrats Ottawa!

My observation as well. Although (without knowing anything about the venue and set-up for OFF, and would be curious to know more) it is a pretty beautiful setting and unique vibe at the Harvest Picnic. But I wonder whether the free flowing, community nature of that may be further restricted due to the changes. As mentioned before it certainly restricts the "type" and range of people that are able to attend due to the price jump.

I would think the Ottawa festival is heavily subsidized by sponsors, while the Harvest Picnic is not. Ergo, the price difference.

Absolutely true. They also have the benefit of being Bluesfests little sister; who have likely garnered a lot of clout with booking agencies over the past 16 or so years that they would benefit from.

• 2 months later...
Neil Young solo is the only acceptable answer.

Not sure if you'rer serious or not, but I've seen a lot of people saying this. The Horse is such a different beast than Neil Young solo that I think it's unfair and unrealistic to expect such a drastic 180 on short notice. For all we know, maybe Neil hasn't even picked up an acoustic in months. I would love an acoustic solo show as much as anybody, but a cancelled Crazy Horse gig doesn't automatically entitle us to one.

I wasn't saying that Neil should show up and play solo, I was only saying that the only acceptable fill in for a Neil show would be Neil. I've read Neils book, I know he doesn't want to play acoustic shows anymore.

I'm not even coming to OFF, I am going to Harvest Picnic which makes this worse. They have a lineup and ticket price that was completely built around Neil. $140 for Lanois and Emmylou isn't going to cut it, especially after seeing them both at that fest last year. The rest of the lineup is 4th level festival undercard because they had such a marquee headliner.

Don't give us The Hip or Blue Rodeo or a similarly local and available act, it ain't going to cut it. Just offer refunds (which Harvest has yet to announce) and take this one on the chin.