All-Star Musician Survivor

Guest Low Roller

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Low Roller

quote:

Originally posted by Jaimoe:

Lowroller, you could have made this really interesting and made Jerry and Hendrix part of the Survivor mix.

(Shhhhh... They are in the next Survivor pool... don't tell anyone though.... [Wink] )

Dear John –

Hey, it’s Marc. How are things in hell? Not much better up here I guess. Wish you were around to hear the new Outkast album – you’d probably really enjoy it! Hey ya!

I’ve been thinking a lot lately about the time we spent together and I wanted to let you know I really appreciate the leg up you gave me as a kid. Remember when I was like 5 years old, and I discovered the albums my aunties had left at our place? Big, thick vinyl, UK copies of With The Beatles, and Please Please Me, and the Red and Blue albums? They were great. I loved listening to them. I also loved the look of red and yellow crayon on the black vinyl, it was like a canvas for me, but that’s besides the point. But the ones I didn’t destroy, I loved. I thought you were just the coolest. And you were!

Oh – the times we shared! Remember when you died? Wow. That was heavy. I would have been 6 years old. I remember my parents had some friends over – I don’t know if it was pre-arranged or if they came over in reaction to the bad news – but I can remember my Dad’s friend crying, and I also remember they had the Double Fantasy album out. I went down the hall into my parents bedroom and turned on the big wood-panelled TV set (the kind where you had to actually get up and crank a couple of dials to get a station, and beat the sides of it to get the picture straight). Anyway, CityTV pre-empted all their programming and played Beatles-related stuff all night long: A Hard Day’s Night, Help, some documentary footage, that kind of stuff. I stayed up real late and felt awful about how you were taken out like that. Scared the shit out of me: so *this* is what murder is!

I got sidetracked by Kiss, Iron Maiden, Dokken and Metallica for a few years there but later in grade school I rediscovered you. It was great. I read the Ray Coleman book about you (and the Albert Grossman one but it was kind of mean) and listened every Sunday night to the “Lost Lennon Tapes” on Q107. I was still discovering the wonders of songs like “Across The Universe” and “She’s So Heavy” and I fell in love with you and your spirit all over again. Remember when I bought Plastic Ono Band at Zap Records downtown? I had never heard anything like it: raw, gutteral, like punk music before any such term ever existed. Dude, in your day, you were the coolest thing going!

Thing is, I’m older now (almost 30!) and some time and perspective have lead me to some conclusions. One, is that you’re not nearly as interesting a person as I once thought you were. Seems to me you were kind of a jerk a lot of the time. And not the kind of “interesting” jerk like say, Pavarotti or Robert Downey Jr or God, but just kind of a spoiled, petulant naff. Really, sticking a kotex tampon on your forehead and asking people, “do you know who I am”, while heckling the Smothers Brothers? Beneath you. Ignoring your first-born with Cynthia so you could give it another go with baby Sean while you baked bread for 6 years? Hey, guy’s gotta do what he thinks is right, but again: not very interesting. Second, your solo career, um, sucked for the most part. Have you heard “Walls and Bridges” lately? Not a strong effort, John. “Imagine”? A career-high song, a dismal, self-absorbed, forgettable album. Despite his tendency towards treachy sentimentality, your old pal Paul made a much better showing in the 1970’s (he’s remarried now to a nice young girl – you’d probably really dislike her!).

Anyway – this all came about because here in the mortal world we’re prone to distracting ourselves from war and disease and the end of the world with these “Survivor” games where people get booted off an island (both literal and imaginary). And, sorry mate, but today’s your big day. All along I thought I’d be obliged to keep you in the running because I know you were such an influence on the other contenders but then it occurred to me: you really weren’t all that cool after you wrote “A Day In The Life” (barring Plastic Ono Band and the odd winning tune). After that, you became uncomfortably self-absorbed and really rather silly. A shame, really. But no matter – I’ll always smile when I picture you in that footage from your Washington Coliseum concert on your first trip to America in 1964: you were almost nervous, your guitar was cool, you were bow-legged and charming, a man made to reach deep to find his inner boy. That’s how I choose to remember you. Man you fucking rocked!

Anyway – I don’t suppose you’ll run into George (now there was a real gentleman) but if you do somehow, please say hi for me. He turned to gardening you know!

Sincerely,

Marc.

Guest Low Roller

Dear John letters always make me so sad.....

I suppose today is a good time as any to discuss what methods I'm going to use to decide a tie. In the event of a tie, through causality, previous days votes will be compared in order to break a tie. Tiebreaking votes will not be added to the percentage of total votes statistic for the day. This is another factor to consider when casting your vote. Who you vote for today, may affect the outcome tomorrow....

Guest Low Roller

quote:

Originally posted by purple foot:

Trey can go noodle and sing badly on the mainland.

Man, you must have a crazy hate-on for him, because Trey was already voted off on day #2. Welcome to day #3. I highly suggest reading the whole thread before posting... I provide daily updates that summarize the day's events and update the remaining roster.

Guest Low Roller

quote:

Originally posted by purple foot:

o.k i vote off low roller for day 3.

Sweet, just one vote. I got less votes than any of the other competitors!

(smart ass [Wink] )

If reading is too much of a crutch for you, may I suggest looking at this pretty picture that Weezy provided to make your real choice.

-

Y'know, I really think a few of you should change your votes. I mean, really, if Dylan stays on, he has a pretty good chance at top spot, and does he really deserve it? I say you change your vote to Dylan today, get him out now. Really, the last two will be Marley and someone, and Dylan is the only one who can really challenge Marley in the final showdown. And there's no reason to vote John, 'cuz Lennon will be a cinch to be booted off next round anyway. Dylan is getting too powerful!

So whattya say, alliances all 'round to vote off Dylan?

this really hurts but i really do dislike some of neils 80's stuff and i agree with king above. Right now i can think of a reason for each one but i think im gonna have to go.............................................................................................................Marley your off my list [Frown]

Low roller your puttin us through emotional stress here but i love it.

Archived