Jambands.ca

Tonight in Ottawa - The Slip!

bouche

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

blane i love how you look like you're 15 when you wear that hat, it put a bigass smile on my face

Funny, I got carded at the bluesfest and when the woman looked at my ID she said "oh...1976? Sorry about that...". Her co-pourer laughed at her.

So much great music last night, so many highlights. But the stand out for me besides the earth shattering Fuji and Even Rats was Sister Brother's cover of Woody Guthrie's "Way Over Yonder in the Minor Key" I had just stepped out of the office and was just trying ot get my head together when all of a sudden it dawned on me what was playing and I lost my shit as anyone that was near me can attest to. At first I thought it was just a song in my head, since the last song I listened ot before i left the house was Wilco & Billy Braggs version of it. Truly an amazing moment, it really made my night.

Thanks to EVERYONE that came out to share the love for The Slip, and those that came to find it and I hope FOUND it.

It was definately top-notch all the way. I can't even put it into words.

I really have to thank Randy and Oliver for getting this together with me. I guarantee there will be more nights like that. We make a great team.

The Slip along with Elizabeth and Michael Felbar were so gracious to come to Ottawa and treat us to a wonderful evening of music. It was close to being cancelled with Brad's cut finger yet he tried it out and decided that he could pull it off with only 3 fingers and a thumb. I swear I saw him using it though!

Maverick's definately should be given huge Kudos for coming through last night. They held the night for us to put this on. The supplied the bass cabinet and head the got Marc's sonic boom's out there. They also pulled out a bass drum when Marc's truck lock seized. They also made the artists feel well taken care of.

oh man. I'm just watching a video of the Slip from Colorado in 2003. check it out - windows media

She did have a georgeous voice, wish they had her fiddle a 'lil louder...

The big problem was that the fiddle often wasn't positioned well for being picked up by the microphone. When she had the f-holes right up close to the mic, you could hear it pretty well, but as soon as she moved away from the mic, it just faded out. There wasn't really anything that could be done with/by the PA to make the fiddle louder, as there just wasn't any signal there.

Aloha,

Brad

We saw them in Montreal WITHOUT mics for the instruments. Miccing(sp?) an all acoustic band is definately tough. The hums and unprojected sounds were probably a defeat for the overall experience for a few people, but I definately noticed shitloads digging it.

I know I was. yeehaw!

189171596_c0e82c3a1e.jpg

189174426_34cb842896_o.jpg

189175492_2b8d6f7751_o.jpg

when dan bern was introducing the boys tonight, he mentioned how their band would be playing in ottawa in october :)

so that's twice it's been mentioned...which is good.

tonight's set was different than yesterday's. it was good and very relaxed, with chitchat and many ottawa references woven into the songs. i did enjoy yesterday's set more though. the blacksheep stage is nice :) though we did have a nice sunny field tonight and dan was lookin real cute ;)

Hell, I think my favorite moment was seeing Ollie dance tonight! Cant say I have ever seen anything like this before, but during the Even Rats encore, he was headbanging ala Trey during a kick-ass Down With Disease.

I was waiting to rock that song all night and they made me wait until the encore. Awesome tune.

Thanks everyone for showing up on a week night. I was pretty happy with the turn out.

It's too bad Sister Brother's set was marred by sound problems and a chatty audience because I think they are really great and I loved the Fleetwood Mac cover.