Jambands.ca

Horrible news for our community: RIP BradM

Hartamophone

Awww my i felt winded to read this. I am so sorry to all who were connected to him and that are reeling from this loss. Brad was absolutely a core pulse of this forum and an incredibly gentle soul. It's quite incredible how many amazing musical moments in time are captured for those to share and reflect on because of him.

It's a testament of Brad to see how many of you are coming out of the woodwork to share that we haven't heard from in some time as the pace of life trucks along. I hope his legacy continues to keep this community strong. It's a pretty special thing and he clearly knew that and loved it and valued it through his enduring dedication. 

Love and light to you all

I went to the bradm well on the archive tonight after work to delve into just how much time and effort this man has put into spreading his love of music.  The list of recordings is staggering.  

https://archive.org/search.php?query=bradm&sort=-publicdate

Friends, there are 831 individual concert recording in Brad's Archive.  Soak that in.  Click the link and have a look at the shear number of bands he's seen and the incredible distances that it must have taken him.   It truly was his passion and now is a legacy that I am positive each and every one of us would be honoured to call our own.  I'll be honouring and remembering Brad with a gigantic smile for years and years to come because of this amazing gift that he has bestowed upon the music world.  

My first bradm Archival smile came tonight as I chose this show:

https://archive.org/details/nero2002-12-21.sbd.shnf

I am pretty sure that this was Punk's first show with nero.  As I listened to Carol of Bells in the second set I could distinctly hear drunk-as-fuck Schwa. coming through the recording loud and clear.....fuck you, my voice carries, ok?!   LOL.   I couldn't help but picture Brad standing by his rig just grimacing and wishing that this loud guy would just bugger off and stop jibbering over his recording.  Sorry BRO!!!  Personally, and I think I speak for a lot of my friends here, I mourn tragic events like this but there is far greater merit in celebrating a life force like Brad once it has left us.  I'll be keeping brad in my heart through memories like this one.  

What a huge and tragic shock. This leaves such a big hole in our lives and hearts. I just cannot imagine going out in Ottawa and not seeing him there. I used to think I went to a lot of concerts until I met Brad! He was an inspiration, so dedicated to the love of music and always sharing it with everyone. He was one of the first people I met when I moved to Ottawa, of course, as he was always at any show that I attended. He also introduced me to Velvet, for which I cannot thank him enough. We will miss him so much.  Rest in peace Brad.

My goodness, BradM was such a great friend. We went to Europe together, we saw countless, and I mean countless shows together, he introduced me to my wife, he was ALWAYS the first to arrive at every party I’ve thrown since I’ve known him, he was THE most dedicated music fan I’ve ever known (and in our crowd that’s saying a lot), and of course he recorded every band I’ve been a part of for the last…what…fifteen years? There are so many songs/lyrics/chord changes I would have forgotten if I didn’t have his recordings to go back to. He was so friendly, so smart, and so damn punctual. I mean, if a ticket said “8pm" BradM would be in the room by 7:30.

For years - and I mean years - every time I saw BradM he would pull a handful of CD's out of his ever-present backpack that he had specifically burnt for me.  They might be a show we had seen together, a show I had recently played, or some local band he had  recorded that he thought I should hear.  I have literally boxes and boxes of these CD's, and so do a lot of other people.  Go ahead, put up your hand if BradM ever gave you a CD.  The man was so unbelievably thoughtful.

BradM, I loved you. We all loved you. You were an indispensable, necessary, and utterly unique member of our social circle. You helped make it a community. You were so supportive. Man, you will be so, so very missed.

When I sat down to write this it occurred to me that over the last 16 years or so, more often than not, if I was at a live music event BradM was there. If it was a random last minute night out to see live music, more often than not, BradM was there. If it was a show I felt was worth traveling for, more often than not BradM was there.  If it was one one one of those magic shows that I still reminisce about occasionally, more often than not, BradM was there.

And more often than not, he caught some of that magic on tape and made it available to the world to enjoy.

BradM was a pillar of this community and I am deeply saddened that he is gone. It pains me to think that I won't ever see Brad bound across the bar toward me again or enjoy his enthusiasm for great music.

When my face is melting in the future I will do my best to remember "this is why BradM taped".

Aloha BradM 

This loss is still quite surreal, but I find it so touching to read these thoughts on this forum that he clearly loved, and to which he also contributed so much. Especially, accompanied by some familiar avatars/handles long unseen.. It's also truly heartwarming to look back on some of Brad's (often really impressive) writings, and to remember that we really made a difference in his life, just by being a welcoming pack of weirdos. He was truly a human adhesive for this strange collective, keeping records, keeping track. We will miss you bud. RIP Bradm

Marathon runners could not have kept up with Brad's attendance at shows. No way.

I'm going to see a band tonight and I'm doing it for Brad. It's cold outside and I've been working all week. It's warm in my house and it'd be really easy to stay in. But I'm gonna go see a show for Brad. I'm just going to the Carleton Tavern to see a band play some covers of Dylan and Petty but I think Brad might have enjoyed that. I'll order a scotch as well, but I don't know if there's a scotch he would approve of there. Might end up being a whiskey.

On November 8, 2017 at 10:59 PM, Davey Boy 2.0 said:

I think we've all heard that line from him "THIS is why I tape!" and everyone who did hear it couldn't help but feel that infectious unbridled joy.

This makes me smile. That happiness felt during a mindbending jam is perfectly summed up by these words of his, which would always make the grin on one's face just a little bit wider!

in recent years this board has struggled as many folks dropped off, but Brad kept at it, and probably accounted for half the posts on here! I think the rest of us are going to need to step it up now if we want it to continue. So let's all try to post more often about shows we're going to, music we're listening to, stuff we're doing, and share more stories, photos, and thoughts.

This is a huge blow to our community.  So very sad. My thoughts and warm vibes go out out to his friends and family.  What a wonderful note from his brother, it must have been terribly difficult to write.  No doubt, the passion and hard work Brad put into his taping will live on.  Tapes brought many of us together here and Brad was a kind and generous leader, a pioneer, a machine.    

Tapes do more than just record a musical performance.  They allow us to re-live over and over an enjoyable road trip to a small club or huge shed far far away or just around the corner; a comically awful interstate meal saved only by a crane machine in the lobby; a new kind friend on a lawn somewhere; a frantic search for that one forgotten audio connector, graciously solved by a fellow taper; a visit to MOMA or South Beach; 2am dinner at a local dive; a well stuffed padded envelope in the mailbox ... and yes, the music, the show, the experience ... an epic 3hr marathon; a  singular guitar note; first-heards; clinking glasses; "hey, are you recording this?"; popular songs; weird songs; strange but brilliant one-offs; last shows.  Real or vicarious, Brad gave all of this to us.  

Rest in Peace, BradM.  Thank you.  

" in recent years this board has struggled as many folks dropped off, but Brad kept at it, and probably accounted for half the posts on here! I think the rest of us are going to need to step it up now if we want it to continue. So let's all try to post more often about shows we're going to, music we're listening to, stuff we're doing, and share more stories, photos, and thoughts. "

That's beautiful Cuz. Count me in.

5 hours ago, phorbesie said:

in recent years this board has struggled as many folks dropped off, but Brad kept at it, and probably accounted for half the posts on here! I think the rest of us are going to need to step it up now if we want it to continue. So let's all try to post more often about shows we're going to, music we're listening to, stuff we're doing, and share more stories, photos, and thoughts.

Thanks for the Call to Action.  You certainly bring this reality to context in that tumbleweeds will start rolling by without BradM's contributions.   As quiet as things have been, BradM always kept the pulse alive.  I treasure the recorded history here and is incredibly wonderful to be able to revisit and reminisce through old threads.

My suggestion when talking to people is that when the urge strikes to post on facebook or twitter, remember this place and the anonymity that comes with it.

the FUCKING HORROR

Over the last few days I've just been trying to process this incredible loss to the extended social circle I am a part of as well as the extended community of music fans and musicians everywhere. It has been almost impossible to sit down and put fingers to keyboard because I really wish I could pretend it wasn't real.

Brad was, well Brad. A total one of a kind. Legit, straight up unicorn. Based on the many many talks we had about an endless variety of music, I feel that Brad captured and held captive that amazing and beautiful feeling of positivity and endless possibility in terms of his experience of music.( Not to say he wasn't opinionated about things. He certainly would tell you how he felt. Straight faced. No bullshit.) But he was far less jaded than I or (especially) my older music fanatic friends. I feel like he really was just searching for the beauty in the music all the time. I'm sure everyone can picture Brad's facial expression after a set of music he loved. When it came to music, he was passionate. Constanty. In a way I wish I could be.

That positivity was all around Brad's character. Guaranteed big hug, a cheers, maybe a shot. We could both go off on whatever guitar player or band had been blowing our minds in between having seen each other. When Brad retired I remember congratulating him and he had the best response... (imagine BradM voice) "Well Dave, in the 90's I didn't go out so much, I didn't have a girlfriend, and I didn't have a hard drug habit. So I saved a lot of money". Indeed! Every time I think about that, I laugh.

As a musician, you really couldn't ask for anything more. Someone who pays close attention but is really actively seeking the beauty out of every moment. That being said, if you really stunk it up and managed to talk with Brad before he left, he wouldn't bullshit you. 

His mark on the Ottawa music community was massive. So much so that I think any of us will have a hard time even comprehending the scope of it. I'll tell my story, but then just imagine the hundreds of other musicians and thousands of listeners that were gifted so much by Brad.

I'm very fortunate that Brad took an interest in every musical thing I did or tried to do. If it weren't for Brad, there would likely have never been any nero reunion shows. Because I had to figure out how to play that stuff somehow! lol. I can't tell you how many times I have been thanking Brad at my desk while trying to figure out how I played something. 

That's really just completely secondary though to the real gifts I got from Brad. I am a completely disorganized mess in terms of my music. I also have failed to plan ahead in any aspect of it. I'm so thankful that Brad recorded things that surely would have slipped into the ether. 

Brad was at almost every show that I ever performed in Ottawa. He also made it to a bunch of Toronto ones. Just going back and looking at a couple of things I found an early solo show with a song I had written for my infant son. Totally something I had lost track of. I was able to download it and email my now 12 year old son the song to hear. That is really something. Really a gift that Brad gave me.  He also recorded a show that was a day after my grandfather passed. I did a cover of Daniel Lanois "the maker". I remember playing a solo in it and thinking about my grandfather and the bigger picture kinda stuff. Upon relistening, the solo isn't great. hahaha. But I know what was happening for me in that moment and I can go back and experience it. Thanks to Brad. Take those kinds of moments and multiply it by the hundreds of musicians he recorded. He really gave a lot. 

I'll miss him very much.

fe976371-6dc5-4979-be97-98ef7dab6e6a_zps

Very sad to hear about BradM's passing.

As many of you, I know BradM through the music scene.  I've been fortunate to get to know tapers from all over the country, and consider myself a amateur taper, mostly recording the shows I produced for my own use.   It's a rare breed of people who dedicate themselves to this craft and I think it's such an admirable and selfless job.  The taping scene in Canada is so small and those few who do it really help preserve and document our Canadian culture - and above all so many memories.   

He mailed me copies of the shows he taped but were not authorized to be uploaded to the archive.  I remember once that he wanted to check with one of the bands he taped first before burning me a copy, in spite of the fact that I was the promoter.

Outside of his admiral dedication to taping, BradM was a sweet guy.  I spent more than a few set breaks with him outside and really enjoyed his different point of views and quirky sense of humour.  I'll always remember him enjoying a pint, standing next to his microphones at a show enjoying himself. 

Much love BradM, I hope you are out there taping the great big gig in the sky.