Jambands.ca

You Better Fill Up On Gas Today

Jaimoe

"We can do what we can do to make sure people aren't being gouged; that the price is fair and is being determined by demand and not gouging," he said in Antigonish, where he (Nova Scotia Premier John Hamm) was attending a cabinet meeting.

I guess Ontario has a very subjective definition of the term "gouging". ;)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

how much is gas where you are beats?

I dunno 'bout Beats in Vancouver, and specifically prices there today, but up here in Whistler I just filled up for 1.08. The funny thing is, gas in Whistler was ALWAYS 20% higher than Vancouver, which was ALWAYS way higher than in Ontario. Ever since the crazy prices have started, though, Whistler has been a relatively cheap option in these parts; and Vancouver prices have been higher.

No idea why.

yup..tis me...haven't been around in awhile. Thought I would make my triumphant return by commenting on gas! hehe ...(triumphant my ass!!!)

Anyway, so I heard or read somewhere a while ago (don't remember which, maybe it was on here) that for every 10 cents that gas goes up, our government makes 175million. So if gas goes to $2.20 that means that they will make $2,100,000,000. If you divide that by the average number of Canadians, they could give us each $70. Now originally i figured this out all wrong at work today and i thought that the gov't could give each Canadian $70,000, and I was blown away. But now that I have figured it out for real, at least I think so, it is $70, which really isn't a big deal but ya. The thing that blows me away is that the gov't is pullin in some serious cash here. I would really like to hear them say now that they don't have money for things like social programs and health care and the like....or wait, do I smell the possibility of another scandal???

The fact is that if gas prices are going to continue to soar (which they will because we are so running out of oil) and the gov't is pulling in this money, they should be prepared to shell it out again for all the people who are now going to be in poverty because fo the very price hike that has made the gov't rich. The increase is so far reaching it would take a million pages just to write about everything it is going to affect (please forgive me if this has already been mentioned in the last while b/c i have not been on here and I am not spending all night on here catching up on what i may have missed.) ;)

To sum it up....we're screwed!!! woo hoo!!!!! and i feel fine!! kinda, sorta, maybe....so when is the whole crew takin to the boonies to start our commune??? :):) :laugh:

I have two words for you bull shit!!!

Bush is laughing all the way to the bank, they are predicting that the U.S. gallon will end up around 5 bucks a gallon, and that will last a long time...

my problem is this, when thousands of people in the Southeast lost their homes, it did not really affect the consumer, even though there are 1000s displaced, however, the storm hasn't even hit yet and they are predicting exorbant gas prices that the average consumer will get the bill for??

what about the reserves they have???

What about other fuel from Saudi Arabia

I do plead ignorance, but, my gut tells me that they are going to hold the consumer hostage for this problem, no matter what the damage.

anyhow, my two cents--(about all its worth)hehe..

The Date: Sunday, Oct. 2, 2005

The Location: USA/Canada border, between Quebec and Vermont

The Players: Velvet, bradm, USA Border Guard

Border Guard: "Citizenship?"

Velvet: "We're all Canadian."

Border Guard: "Purpose of your trip?"

Velvet: "We're pre-emptively invading your sick country while we have the chance."

bradm: "We're also seeing 'Ween' tonight."

Velvet: "Yeah, that, too."

Border Guard: "You're what?!?"

Velvet: "I said, we're invading..."

Border Guard: "No, forget that. Where's Ween playing?"

Aloha,

Brad

The Date: Sunday, Oct. 2, 2005

The Location: USA/Canada border, between Quebec and Vermont

The Players: Velvet, bradm, USA Border Guard

Border Guard: "Citizenship?"

Velvet: "We're all Canadian."

Border Guard: "Purpose of your trip?"

Velvet: "We're pre-emptively invading your sick country while we have the chance."

bradm: "We're also seeing 'Ween' tonight."

Velvet: "Yeah, that, too."

Border Guard: "You're what?!?"

Velvet: "I said, we're invading..."

Border Guard: "No, forget that. Where's Ween playing?"

Aloha,

Brad

after jamcruise, everyone, and especially me, were a little paranoid about going through customs at the port in Fort Lauterdale, and when I got up to the officer, he looked at my shirt (Les Claypool's Flying Frog Brigade)

he asked who is that?? I said Les Claypool, and he smiled and said he saw him in New Orleans opening for Ween, I then smiled and realized I was going to get through customs without incident...hehe..

...I can't beleive the Canadian Gov't still has stepped in to stop this nonsense...

Governments are powerless to control the price of oil. It's a world market, the price is set by speculators - i.e. a bunch of suits on the New York Mercantile Exchange.

The government could however reduce or remove the taxes added to the price of gas.

want to know why they havent? and never will? to quote my beautiful girl, the gov. makes 175 MILLION every 10 cents gas goes up

Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa - Dude....I think people are going to think that if gas goes up 10 cents in one day, the Gov't (do you even mean Federal? Provincial? both?) instantly makes $175 million, those figures are waaaaaaaay off....

Ok, here's some facts in my area of expertise, most FEDERAL taxes on gasoline are collected not on the price at the pumps, but by litre, ie. they are static - and don't go up based on the price of gas, ie. on consumption (by litre), not price.

The GST however IS collected on your final purchase price at the pumps, but for every 10 cent increase in price, the extra GST revenue is 0.7 cents, (if you do the math - in 2004 higher gas prices that year accounted for an extra $150 million in GST revenue for the Fed. Gov't - for the whole year!)

Sure taxes are high, but the amount the Fed. Gov't brings in is relatively a very small amount when compared a) to the amount the provincial gov't collects, and B)THE FREAKIN' BIG OIL COMPANIES WHO HAVE MADE OBSCENE RECORD PROFITS!!! EXPONENTIALLY MORE THAN THE GOV'T BRINGS IN!!!

With all due respect, you guys are barking up the wrong tree when it comes to who profits when gas prices go up, besides the Gov't does spend most of it's $$ on social programs (Health Care, Pensions, EI, etc. etc.) and massive Big Oil profits go into their pockets.

Why you would turn your guns on Gov't without mentioning Big Oil is whacky to me....

94.5 in BBQ Haven...I can't beleive the Canadian Gov't still has stepped in to stop this nonsense...

rubberdinghy - the Canadian Gov't is virtually powerless to regulate crude oil prices which are determined by world markets, and Big Oil. Trudeau tried to do this in the 70's with the National Energy Program (NEP) and the results were disastrous. Check into it.

I know it's easy to "blame the Gov't" for everything, but this issue is a pretty complex one, and while I will not deny that the Fed. Gov't is far from perfect, focusing the blame on them for the current crisis is extremely short cited, but if you're willing to ignore factors that exist outside of our borders and control, I guess at least you can lay blame, and vent, which I suppose could make people feel better.

I don't want to be uppity or be seen as putting people down here, I just have to chime in as in the past three weeks I have studied this problem literally day and night.

Actually, we CAN blaim the gov't. To be exact, Brian Mulroney and NAFTA. Canadian gas should not be affected by world (read: bush) prices because we produce daily more than we can use. BUT, we're bound by NAFTA to give piles of it to the States. In fact, we ship between 1-1.5 million barrels to them every day.

As long as Alberta would sell it to the rest of canada at below world prices. Or we could just trade them for class and civility. Ha ha