Jambands.ca

I'm on a Massive _______ Kick Lately

scottieking

Fill in the blank.

Mine would be Frank Zappa. 70's studio stuff mostly. Check out the double disc mix I made last night.

ZAPPA'S 70'S WAZOO - AWREETUS - AWRIGTUS

San Ber'dino

I'm the Slime

Friendly Little Finger

Cletus awreetus-awrightus

Cosmik debris

Willie The Pimp

Apostrophe'

Find Her Finer

Po-jama people

Dinah Moe Humm

Inca roads

Jewish princess

Joe's Garage

ZAPPA'S 70's WAZOO II - THE LEAD FILLED SNOW SHOE

Montana

Peaches En Regalia

Don't eat the yellow snow

Nanook rubs it

Wonderful Wino

Can't afford no shoes

Blessed relief

Catholic Girls

Black Napkins

The Gumbo Variation

The Torture Never Stops

I'm on a massive Janine Stoll kick. One track in particular, Means To My End, got stuck in my brain the end of last week, and I've listened to it a bunch of times, and it almost melts me each time.

We equate our love with loss

'Cause we sold it to the dead

Please inform the next of kin

You can stop taking your medicine

I challenge you to be strong for me

And furrow up my brow

Disarm my face with all the savage love

That your giant heart allows

Janine Stoll Trio 2006-04-02

Janine Stoll Trio 2006-04-12

Aloha,

Brad

Mix CDs.

I throw a disc in the computer, tell iTunes to pick 79 minutes at random from the "songs I haven't listed to yet" playlist (now at around 6000 songs), don't look at what it comes up with, put it in my car, and then see what tickles my fancy. I keep a pad and pencil in my car so I can jot down track numbers if they really impress me. Once I've made it through all the tracks I go look at the list in iTunes to see what I've just listened to. The results are really suprising, kind of like a blind taste test.

This is all to tide me over until I wire my iPod into my car stereo in the next month or so.

AD

I don't care for mix CD's. I like songs in their context, especially if the albums are great.

I'm the same way usually, just doing it to discover new stuff in my collection without any preconceived notions. Should've mentioned too that once I've found a track I like on the mix CD, I then go back and listen to the whole album in order. It's just a way to give me a starting point. But yeah, a song in the proper context is definitely the right way to hear it.

AD

I enjoy the mix CD (and the making of them) for a variety of reasons:

1. These days, there are some killer tracks from some killer albums, some not so killer albums. Putting a track on a mix CD allows me to perserve these in my memory and in some cases, bring me back to an album I'd forgot about.

2. Time-capsule. I make a mix for every season for the last 5 years and a summer mix for the last 16!!!! Great way to bring back memories.

3. Educational purposes. I find that a great mix can shatter pre-conceived notions about a band, open up someone's eyes or merely provide a personalized entry level intro to a band. Cases in point - my Seventeen Seventy's Stones Mix has created a few instant fans or Guigsy's recent Built to Spill mix for me was a nice treat

4. The challenge of just the perfect blend. So hard but when it hits, it's magic.

5. Nothing caps off a good "kick" like a cathartic mix cd.

1. These days, there are some killer tracks from some killer albums, some not so killer albums. Putting a track on a mix CD allows me to perserve these in my memory and in some cases, bring me back to an album I'd forgot about.

I think CD's have ruined to some extent, the long-play album. It's just too damned easy to skip a song after listening to only the first few chords. It's only going to get worse and the concept of an album will eventually devolve.

Edited by Guest

2. Time-capsule. I make a mix for every season for the last 5 years and a summer mix for the last 16!!!! Great way to bring back memories.

3. Educational purposes. I find that a great mix can shatter pre-conceived notions about a band, open up someone's eyes or merely provide a personalized entry level intro to a band. Cases in point - my Seventeen Seventy's Stones Mix has created a few instant fans or Guigsy's recent Built to Spill mix for me was a nice treat

4. The challenge of just the perfect blend. So hard but when it hits, it's magic.

5. Nothing caps off a good "kick" like a cathartic mix cd.

Cheers to that Scottie! As some of you know, I'm a fan of the mix. KC#21 coming soon!

As for kicks, I'm on a Loose Fur kick. Its a project involving Jeff Tweedy and Glen Kotche (Wilco) and Jim O'Rourke (Sonic Youth). They have an album from 2003 and one from this year.

Yeah.. Myagi is this crazy DJ from Toronto who tours the world.. he's great.. he's also playing at EVOLVE this year.

From Stratford originally, yeah. Very very close friend of mine, good to hear he'll be at Evolve between his trips to Russia and Japan. He does do some crazy tracks. If anyone's reading this from Sydney, Australia, check him out on April 28. Or if you're in Kelowna BC, he'll be there on May 12.

AD