Jambands.ca

Large Marge does Vegoose

Large Marge

[blurb]Holy mother of madness Batman... the Marginator was closer to breaking this past week than I’ve been since Thunder Bay (back in those insano days that birthed BNB). But alas, I have survived, recovered as best I can, and have basically graduated to a whole new realm of cougardom.

For those who have not been, Vegas is the mother of excess, the father of extremes and the child of every commercialized American dream. It feels so backward for me to have enjoyed the place so whole-heartedly given my aversion to ignorant consumption. I’m justifying my love by concluding that Vegas needs to exist in order to bring order to the world and to make sense of our fucked-up capitalist ideals.[/blurb]

So Vegas, this playground of absolute madness, unbelievably diminishes to nothing but a crazy backdrop to one of the best festivals I’ve ever attended. The weather couldn’t have been better, the set-up and entry couldn’t be easier to navigate, the staff couldn’t have been more accommodating and the attendees couldn’t have been friendlier (and the chicks couldn’t have been hotter for those of you inclined!) While what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas (it better Bash-man & MoMack!!!), I can tell you about the music I got to see and what I remember of it in my bewildered vivacity.

Friday, October 27th

Keller Williams at the House of Blues - Lame-o! Anyone go to the Keller Lee’s Palace show? Press replay in similar room about 4 times larger. Good place to get drunk and meet a few beautiful people from around the States, but I can’t say that I’ll be seeing him on his own again (3 strikes now).

Saturday, October 28th

MMW with Maceo Parker - Holy shit this was off the fucking hook!!! Unfortunately, in my morning drunk I allowed Basher to convince me that Yonder Mountain was better and I missed the beginning of this set, but it took about 2 bars of twang for me to say “What the Fuck is this Bullshit?†and run back to the side stage. Thank Jebus! Mr. Slippery hooked me up with the recording of this last night and it’s GORGEOUS! (his word, my emphasis)

Yonder Mtn String Band - After MMW wrapped, I was able to give this a fair listen and it was actually pretty friggin good. I’m not much of a straight up Bluegrass gal, but it was dancy and rock and roll enough to keep my feet a stompin and made for a good soundtrack to wash back a quick half dozen American pints.

The Raconteurs - Booo-urns! Disappointing as I was hoping I could be hip enough to like this band.

The Keller Williams Incident - Again, I made a mistake in missing Damien Marley, but this was actually a great set. Knowing that I’d be skipping the String Cheese late night show, I gave it my all and it certainly gave back. Sorry I’m not music nerd enough to say anything of consequence.

The Mars Volta - Another big Boooo from me :( The eye-lined members of the audience seemed to be getting off but this was definitely not my bag baby.

The Black Crowes - *Yawn* I think I needed to break up to the front row and get some THC sweat in the face were I to get off on this set. 1/2 the energy and none of the sexiness that I remember so fondly from the days of the Southern Harmony tour-bus. Er, that’s tour, the Southern Harmony tour ;)

Left half way through the Crowes, wandering past a not-so-attractive sounding Killers set and skipping Tom Petty altogether (heard later that it sucked anyway)

Phil & Trey w/ Medeski - America, Fuck ya! THIS is the shit I’m talkin’ about! I don’t want to pick any Phishy asses or anything, but Trey can be such a wanking knob without the right balance on stage and damned if Medeski can’t provide it. I could have rode those keys all night baby (wait a minute, I think I did). The smile on Phil’s face was friggin priceless :)

Sunday, October 29th

Particle - Wow. Great music, but if there was any time during the whole festival that things were a little sketchy, it was at this show. I caught the full second set and was only slightly disappointed when it ended at that… it was a 5:00am show after all!!! Given the post Phil-Trey/early morning factor, the Vegoosers were far outnumbered by the local club kids, especially the preying man-whores. After swilling a few gifted beverages and dirty dancing with some sexy naked chocolate, I decided I’d best take my mystery pill offerings and hit the road. (Whoops, I think that’s one of those parts of the story that were meant to stay behind). Anyway, for all you ladies in the house… I do not recommend going anywhere off the strip on your own. If I were not the Marginator, I can’t even begin to imagine the trouble that may have ensued.

There could possibly have been a bit of Rhythm Devils in here, but dammed if I can remember after the eggless mushroom omelet and giant Pina Colada I had for breakfast :o

Fiona Apple - Caught some of this by accident while waiting for G-Love to come on… was surprised at how great it sounded. I do have a new appreciation for the female vocalist post Arts & Crafts, but have not yet given Fiona the time of day. This will change going forward; she was hitting a sweet spot fo-sho!

G. Love & Special Sauce - Wowzers. Despite hearing good things, I’ve passed on the chance to see this cat a number of times and now I realize it’s because I was waiting for this show. This was by far one of the best entrances of the festival… full on white tuxedos in all the old school style. Big sound, high-energy with a sense of humour… I found me a little pocket of beautiful dancing girls up front and lost myself in sweaty bliss for the full set. There was a great keys guy who made an appearance but fucked if I know who it was. (sorry)

Phil & Trey - Lame-o! After seeing them with Medeski, this set sounded really weak. I was just so afraid that I might catch some of Trey’s own special sauce (self-produced) in my good eye and had to keep a clear distance.

Widespreadmylegsforanymemberofthisband Panic - Oh my fucking Lord! A swift kick to the balls of all of you who knew about this band and did not insist that I see them sooner. Actually, from what I’ve heard, I may be coming on to them at just the right time. I can not believe how fucking great this band is. Take the culmination of nearly everything musical that I love; add a little dirty old man factor and some of the greatest cowbell action that I’ve ever heard and you might be able to understand a tiny factor of how much I loved this show. Dry-humps or no, [color:red]THIS IS MY NEW FAVOURITE BAND!

Monday, October 30th

Widespread Panic Halloween Show - See above, times it by 20, add an orgasm or two and you might be feeling as good as I was at this show. If you want a yummy taste of this band, get a copy of this show… I’ve listened to it every day since. I can not wait for the DVD… costumes and staging were off the hook!!!

Tuesday, October 31st

RAQ - Put on by the super-kind Vegas Jamband contingent, this was a great way to end the festival. Sooo chill a vibe at this venue that I could have been walking in and out of the saloon. Great, great music from some really enthusiastic young fellers… these are the kind of guys we need to be bringing up for CTMF next summer :)

OK, sorry for the novel… I’m sure most of you have read the official reviews by now with a much more analytic/academic view. I just thought I might share how a local gal/Vegoose virgin like myself saw things. So set your Loonie jar aside and start saving now Mo-Fo’s; I cannot more highly recommend this festival.

Cheers,

Margaret

I just may start a new coin-jar savings plan!!! :grin:

How many coin jars do you need?

Aloha' date='

Brad[/quote']

the texas mickey we killed at our house-warming is our coin jar...I dump in loonies and twoonies whenerver I think of it....and about an inch of coins equals over $100....problem is, those coins come out just as often as they go in! :(