Jambands.ca

An Inconvenient Truth

CyberHippie

From the Smart Growth Network's listserve:

*Host an Inconvenient Truth House Party*

>

> Al Gore's new movie, An Inconvenient Truth, was released on DVD last week, and more than a million copies were sold in the first five days.

> Because we think everyone should see this movie, we've joined with several organizations including CodePink, Moveon.org and Sierra Club to

> organize An Inconvenient Truth house parties. Thousands of house parties will take place around the world on Saturday, Dec. 16 at 7 p.m.

> EST/4 p.m. PST. After you view the film, dial-in for a live conference call with Al Gore!

If you'd like to host a house party on *Saturday, Dec. 16,* or find a party that's already planned in your community, click below:

http://pol.moveon.org/event/events/index.html?action_id=69&rc=algore

http://ga3.org/ct/QpLX9Zn1JXhM/>

This could be the largest national house party event ever organized, and we want you to be a part of it!

> On Tuesday's Oprah Winfrey Show, Al Gore called for thousands of house parties all across the planet to discuss global warming. With your help,

we can have a dramatic impact on our leaders by showing them how serious this problem is.

> Join a house party near you, or host your own!

> Elise Houghton

> Communications Chair

> Environmental Education Ontario (EEON)

> "Greening the Way Ontario Learns"

> www.eeon.org info@eeon.org

> __________________________________________

>

I certainly thought it was a well done and imporant film, however the lack of action-based discourse in it frustrated me. I know that his main purpose was proving that global warming is a very real and terrifying issue, but it seems to me that the same people who still need to be told that global warming is real could also benefit from some practical tips for what they can do about it. I know there are DVD extras which deal with this, but I thought it was a waste of a captive audience that the only time he even touched on what people can do about global warming in their daily lives was a few text points while the credits were rolling.

Once there is seeing' date=' there must be acting. Otherwise, what is the use of seeing?[/quote']

From the Smart Growth Network's listserve:

*Host an Inconvenient Truth House Party*

>

> Al Gore's new movie, An Inconvenient Truth, was released on DVD last week, and more than a million copies were sold in the first five days.

> Because we think everyone should see this movie, we've joined with several organizations including CodePink, Moveon.org and Sierra Club to

> organize An Inconvenient Truth house parties. Thousands of house parties will take place around the world on Saturday, Dec. 16 at 7 p.m.

> EST/4 p.m. PST. After you view the film, dial-in for a live conference call with Al Gore!

If you'd like to host a house party on *Saturday, Dec. 16,* or find a party that's already planned in your community, click below:

This could be the largest national house party event ever organized, and we want you to be a part of it!

> On Tuesday's Oprah Winfrey Show, Al Gore called for thousands of house parties all across the planet to discuss global warming. With your help,

we can have a dramatic impact on our leaders by showing them how serious this problem is.

> Join a house party near you, or host your own!

> Elise Houghton

> Communications Chair

> Environmental Education Ontario (EEON)

> "Greening the Way Ontario Learns"

> www.eeon.org info@eeon.org

> __________________________________________

>

Does this mean that you will be hosting a party on Saturday night Edger???

Here's an inconvenient truth:

Cow 'emissions' more damaging to planet than CO2 from cars

By Geoffrey Lean, Environment Editor

Meet the world's top destroyer of the environment. It is not the car, or the plane,or even George Bush: it is the cow.

A United Nations report has identified the world's rapidly growing herds of cattle as the greatest threat to the climate, forests and wildlife. And they are blamed for a host of other environmental crimes, from acid rain to the introduction of alien species, from producing deserts to creating dead zones in the oceans, from poisoning rivers and drinking water to destroying coral reefs.

The 400-page report by the Food and Agricultural Organisation, entitled Livestock's Long Shadow, also surveys the damage done by sheep, chickens, pigs and goats. But in almost every case, the world's 1.5 billion cattle are most to blame. Livestock are responsible for 18 per cent of the greenhouse gases that cause global warming, more than cars, planes and all other forms of transport put together.

Burning fuel to produce fertiliser to grow feed, to produce meat and to transport it - and clearing vegetation for grazing - produces 9 per cent of all emissions of carbon dioxide, the most common greenhouse gas. And their wind and manure emit more than one third of emissions of another, methane, which warms the world 20 times faster than carbon dioxide.

Livestock also produces more than 100 other polluting gases, including more than two-thirds of the world's emissions of ammonia, one of the main causes of acid rain.

Ranching, the report adds, is "the major driver of deforestation" worldwide, and overgrazing is turning a fifth of all pastures and ranges into desert.Cows also soak up vast amounts of water: it takes a staggering 990 litres of water to produce one litre of milk.

from The Independant

Here's an inconvenient truth:
Cow 'emissions' more damaging to planet than CO2 from cars

By Geoffrey Lean, Environment Editor

Meet the world's top destroyer of the environment. It is not the car, or the plane,or even George Bush: it is the cow.

A United Nations report has identified the world's rapidly growing herds of cattle as the greatest threat to the climate, forests and wildlife. And they are blamed for a host of other environmental crimes, from acid rain to the introduction of alien species, from producing deserts to creating dead zones in the oceans, from poisoning rivers and drinking water to destroying coral reefs.

The 400-page report by the Food and Agricultural Organisation, entitled Livestock's Long Shadow, also surveys the damage done by sheep, chickens, pigs and goats. But in almost every case, the world's 1.5 billion cattle are most to blame. Livestock are responsible for 18 per cent of the greenhouse gases that cause global warming, more than cars, planes and all other forms of transport put together.

Burning fuel to produce fertiliser to grow feed, to produce meat and to transport it - and clearing vegetation for grazing - produces 9 per cent of all emissions of carbon dioxide, the most common greenhouse gas. And their wind and manure emit more than one third of emissions of another, methane, which warms the world 20 times faster than carbon dioxide.

Livestock also produces more than 100 other polluting gases, including more than two-thirds of the world's emissions of ammonia, one of the main causes of acid rain.

Ranching, the report adds, is "the major driver of deforestation" worldwide, and overgrazing is turning a fifth of all pastures and ranges into desert.Cows also soak up vast amounts of water: it takes a staggering 990 litres of water to produce one litre of milk.

from The Independant

And where do cows come from? They're a human breeded animal designed to meet our demand of meat and dairy.

I guess the millions upon millions of say Buffalo ,Caraboo,plains animals in Africa that are virtually gone didn't release a little methane.Come on man made machines ,stripping of the landscape rerouting water tables are the problems.Refering to the movie does not Mr.Gore make reference to the slant of journalism towards every study.

I guess the millions upon millions of say Buffalo ,Caraboo,plains animals in Africa that are virtually gone didn't release a little methane.Come on man made machines ,stripping of the landscape rerouting water tables are the problems.Refering to the movie does not Mr.Gore make reference to the slant of journalism towards every study.

• 1 month later...

Not sure if this was posted anywhere;

If you're around town during Reading Week and have an interest in hearing Al Gore speak on his environmental documentary "An Inconvenient Truth", tickets are on sale starting tomorrow at 11am for the Wednesday, Feb. 21st presentation through www.uofttix.ca. They are only $20 and will probably sell out fast.

Not sure if this was posted anywhere;

If you're around town during Reading Week and have an interest in hearing Al Gore speak on his environmental documentary "An Inconvenient Truth", tickets are on sale starting tomorrow at 11am for the Wednesday, Feb. 21st presentation through www.uofttix.ca. They are only $20 and will probably sell out fast.

It sold out within 90 minutes. I tried to get tickets via phone and internet for an hour when the box office opened.

I saw the movie last night. It was a sobering experience, but still entertaining.

I haven't seen this yet. Just can't stomache it yet...the polar bear situation allready makes me want to vomit and cry when I let myself think about it.

Then Planet Earth added The Humpback whales to my list of things to try not to think about too much the other day....glad this films out there though and I'll check it some sunny day for sure.

I described the film as 'sobering' not depresssing, and I think it's acurate. Anyone without wearing blinders in this country has been conditioned and educated about the world's plight by the media/gov't/society over the last decade or more, so nothing in the film is too overwhelming or shocking to the point of slashing your wrists.

I realize that Al Gore and the filmmakers are getting heaps of praise for this film, and rightly so. But David Suzuki on The Nature Of Things and the late Bob Hunter (to name a few) have been reporting and producing stories global warming for decades - and presented in accessible ways media wise.

I described the film as 'sobering' not depresssing, and I think it's acurate. Anyone without wearing blinders in this country has been conditioned and educated about the world's plight by the media/gov't/society over the last decade or more, so nothing in the film is too overwhelming or shocking to the point of slashing your wrists.

ha!

Well so long as it won't put wrist slashing on the menue I'll keep it on my list of flicks to see sooner than later. :)

My dad, who ran as a Green Party Candidate in the last federal election, went to Tennessee in December to take part in weekend course to learn how to give Al Gore's Inconvenient Truth Slide Show. Al Gore even gave a 3 hr lecture during the weekend. So far he (my dad) has presented the presentation to over a dozen different groups and plans for many more.