Jambands.ca

Caution Jam ,Diesel Dog live at Mavericks Saturday May 5th

Mavericks

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's still an opinion-and it's true in his eyes and I have to agree. When you go see a concert, even the 3 minute top 40ers, they will add lib on thier hits...and "jam it out" if you will. I know how some people here on jambands.ca hate the term jam.

He wasn't standing on a soapbox preaching the word of god, he was putting his two cents in on a convo about music. I stand strong on my OPINION that certain folks have over reacted here.

he also told everyone to lick his balls, go to bitchfest.ca, called others' comments rude and idiotic when disagreement came about, insulted me numerous times and also my parents (totally out of bounds). He mistook disagreement for a personal attack and negativity.

he wasn't talking about music when he did that. but defend it. whatever. 'peace and love,' hippies.

WTF is this mess?

1. Diesel Dog is awesome.

2. The members of Diesel Dog are awesome. ESPECIALLY Doug.

3. If you haven't seen Diesel Dog in the last while, you are really missing out. They have totally stepped up their game over the years. Every time this band plays, they get better and better.

4. Every single time I've seen Diesel Dog (which has been more times than I can possibly count), I have pure, unadulterated FUN with all capital letters and maybe even some swear words thrown in. They make me dance and mean it, there are ALWAYS fun people I like at the shows, the music is never half-assed or disappointing, and it's a fricken treat-of-the-week if you have the pleasure of hanging out with any of these guys after the show.

Doug steps into an already pages long crankypants party themed with whether ottawa sucks or not, whether the scene is dead, and how many lawn chairs you can cram into mavericks, and out of this entire buffet of miscontent, he's being targeted? this is just very odd.

he also told everyone to lick his balls, go to bitchfest.ca, called others' comments rude and idiotic when disagreement came about, insulted me numerous times and also my parents (totally out of bounds). He mistook disagreement for a personal attack and negativity.

he wasn't talking about music when he did that. but defend it. whatever. 'peace and love,' hippies.

Um, ya.

Diesel Doug makes a post that includes the following statement:

"People always come back to improv. because it's the only sincere form of music. All other music is somewhat contrived or pre-meditated resulting in a lack of truth."

People respond to his statement with the following comments:

"I think I'm going to be sick."

"I was just making an extreme generalization to an asinine comment by DieselDog."

"That's completely ridiculous. And that's the truth."

Then Diesel Doug replies with some comments that aren't very nice, and people reply to those comments with comments that aren't very nice, and then people comment on the comments with other comments, some of which are nice and some of which are not so nice, and then somebody starts another thread ... wow, sometimes I just shake my head! I am all for expressing opinions, but it's ok to be tactful when doing so! It's no wonder that some people have decided not to post on this board after reading threads like this one.

OK, maybe Diesel Doug was generalizing and overstating things with his initial post. He's a friendly and exciteable guy who loves to bounce ideas around. Having said that, I have a huge amount of respect for his comments about music, given that he is a musician who plays in a band that improvises and jams, and given that he is a musician with a background in recording engineering who is very familiar with writing, recording and producing songs that are contrived.

I also have a huge amount of respect for others that posted to this thread, including the people that posted the comments quoted above in response to Diesel Doug.

Just a friendly reminder to people to play nicely in the sandbox. Sorry for trying to be so positive, but come on people, enough is enough. It's ok to disagree and challenge people, but there is no need to be nasty about it.

Peace, Mark

Mark, I love your input and all but for someone to say that all other music outside of jam music is contrived is a slap in the face to people that actually write music that doesnt involve the 'jam' (and there are a few on this board), let alone the people that can get off on music that doesnt involve the 'jam'. These same individuals voiced their personal opinions. That is what happens but things got a little too personal.

We all cant be Dark Star from 10-26-89

Still, I am going to give Doug the benefit of the doubt simply because I am 100% sure he and I could have a great discussion on the subject. His passion came through in spades and I admire that. Its also become apparent based on some of his fans/friends responses that he is a great individual that provides them with fine music.

That is enough for me.

No harm, no foul? Let's hope a couple of folks figured it out in private messages because some things were said publicly that shouldnt have been said for all to see. But that isnt for me to decide.

DEM, thank you for the kind words.

Booche, I popped a boner reading this:

Mark, I love your input and all but for someone to say that all other music outside of jam music is contrived is a slap in the face to people that actually write music that doesnt involve the 'jam' (and there are a few on this board), let alone the people that can get off on music that doesnt involve the 'jam'. These same individuals voiced their personal opinions. That is what happens but things got a little too personal.

We all cant be Dark Star from 10-26-89

Still, I am going to give Doug the benefit of the doubt simply because I am 100% sure he and I could have a great discussion on the subject. His passion came through in spades and I admire that. Its also become apparent based on some of his fans/friends responses that he is a great individual that provides them with fine music.

That is enough for me.

No harm, no foul? Let's hope a couple of folks figured it out in private messages because some things were said publicly that shouldnt have been said for all to see. But that isnt for me to decide.

Seriously, thank you for the thoughtful words.

Peace, Mark

I apologise to all that had to endure this crap. If I put IMHO in front of my origonal statement would the situation not have happened? If I'm in a band does that mean I should tread carefully? Or not speak at all? Should artists speak about their art? Or is that too much like a comedian laughing at his own jokes? food for thought.

Doug, the only thing differently I think you should do is make www.lickballs.now actually go somewhere. Maybe a facebook page or something. Other than that, you're good. You shouldn't have to put IMHO in front of anything because everything anyone types here is "IMO." Fuck being humble, speak your mind, except if you have anything bad to say about the beatles. It'll hang you.

How old do you have to be, to be in the club? I wanna join, my back aches and is rather stiff. My knees are banged up and I have scars. The first songs I remember hearing on the Radio as a young one were "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap" and a bunch of Kiss stuff. Am I qualified?