Jambands.ca

Caution Jam ,Diesel Dog live at Mavericks Saturday May 5th

Mavericks

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still got to go on an adventure to capital city and meet/jam with Dave from Nero so I'm happy.

Just fished listening to both bands from sat. Sounds like we were having a great time,we just never stopped jamming for the last half hour making it up as we went along. I'm happy that Dave accepted my invitation to come out and play, we all got to benefit from his sounds. That was Cjams 8th show in Otown and i'm glad one of them finally got taped.

Pinned posts are essential for things that could otherwise get buried. Then you end up with duplicate posts about the same show/event.

When there are pinned posts with new info, the little folder icon changes colour so you know to go in there and when people have new info or something to say, they will more likely use the existing thread rather than searching for it or even starting a new one.

This truly has been an interesting and infomative thread. I thought I was just impatient...because I always skip passed the pinned topics...although I do take the time to read the topic.

As for turnouts, man every touring band has those nights where the timing is off...I can recall many times where BNB hit cities in BC on off nights and we played to a hand full of people...we drove three days to get there! It happens, and I also remember us playing awesome on those nights!

I am sure the boys in both bands had a blast, thats why they play music in the first place...sounds like to fans are taking it more personally than the bands...

Ottawa is a mighty fine place to play music and it has some serious music lovers, this situation is less a geographical matter as much as it is situational.

Cheers

Not into good music from local bands eh?

I would have opted for Plaskett/Elkas had I been in Capital City. I saw Caution Jam in '97, '98, '99 (blah blah blah) and unless I'm mistaken, The Dead haven't written any new songs to cover. Lemme guess (insert drum roll) an Althea opener. I don't mean to sound "too" negative.....but shit gets old. Especially rehashed cover songs that are not even attempted to be explored in a new and way by the artist/musicians playing them.

...sounds like to fans are taking it more personally than the bands...

y'know, maybe this is the case.

I, for one, have indeed been a loud, persistent voice beseeching these bands to come to O-Town (since having moved here from SoOn), and I was disappointed for them that there wasn't a bigger turnout. But everyone who was there had a blast...we really appreciated the caliber of the muisc....THROUGH THE ROOF, seriously.....and I'm just glad to hear that y'all had a good time Ian, Mark, et al!!!!

So, next weekend, then? ;)

Not into good music from local bands eh?

I would have opted for Plaskett/Elkas had I been in Capital City. I saw Caution Jam in '97' date=' '98, '99 (blah blah blah) and unless I'm mistaken, The Dead haven't written any new songs to cover. Lemme guess (insert drum roll) an Althea opener. I don't mean to sound "too" negative.....but shit gets old. Especially rehashed cover songs that are not even attempted to be explored in a new and way by the artist/musicians playing them. [/quote']

Got it.. hey come party with us in Brantford this friday at 2 doors down.. Free show... listen to this first please.

http://www.archive.org/details/cjam2007-05-05.oktava.shnf

Pinned posts are essential for things that could otherwise get buried. Then you end up with duplicate posts about the same show/event.

Just curious' date=' does not every show announcement, etc. have the possibility of getting buried?

[/quote']

yes.

I'm glad this is getting all worked out ;) .

The more I hear of the show, the more I hear that the skanks here in Ottawa were actually quite well represented, and that what was missing were folks outside of this orbit - viz., university/college crowd, random passers-by, etc. At the end of the day, it seems to have been a shame that more people weren't in on the creative moment, but what's to be done about that? It's been archived, and the people who were there had a good time. I'm still working through the irony of being away the one weekend in the whole year when these guys were here in my new home town; if it hadn't been for being able to catch DD the night before in Kitchener, I'd be real bitter ;) .

First off, I had a blast sitting in with Diesel Dog and Caution Jam. I've been dying to play some electric guitar lately. I had to get that new guitar and amp into a live setting!!

As far as I’m concerned there is no better guys than Mavericks as far as giving a shit about what is happening in their bar. They try hard and you’ll never meet people that nice in their business.

The lack of turnout was disappointing for the bands. Diesel Dog is out on the road supporting a new cd (which I think is great, listening to it right now actually) and that's probably the last we'll see of Mark with Caution Jam (I actually always figured it was his band and 12 years in is certainly significant. End of an era) So for someone who is interested there is certainly reason to go and see these bands.

What I find disappointing really has nothing to do with either the bands/promotion/or fans. It’s just that it definitely felt like a nail in the coffin of what is left of the Ottawa jam scene.

There’s something very very different about going to a jam show (at least there was) and that’s how much fun everyone is having. 2000 –2004 in Ottawa you could go to ANY jam show and people would be there having a good time. I remember that the bands that did Dead tunes like TMNS or Caution Jam would have this crowd that only did Dead related shows…with maybe the odd other band. What happened to these people?

The thing is that the jam shows were always a absolute blast and it was because people had a good time. It seems like that is lost on a lot of the other segments of the show going public. I went to the wooden stars a couple of weeks ago and the crowd was like an angry dental association convention.

I also realized after a couple of years of not being interested in anything jammy that if I’m seeing a live show I need to see improvisation or I’d rather stay home.

I’ll miss what we used to have in this city because it was fucking great while it lasted.

Maybe we all just had too much fun.

I hope no one takes offense to anything I’ve said because I understand that life changes, and so do tastes. More so than anything, this caused me to reflect on what was.

Great memories.

The thing is that the jam shows were always a absolute blast and it was because people had a good time. It seems like that is lost on a lot of the other segments of the show going public. I went to the wooden stars a couple of weeks ago and the crowd was like an angry dental association convention.

this all may be true...i've only been in o-town a couple years.

but if you come to a john henrys show there's always lots of people givin'er and dancing it up and having a great old time. :)

Your totally right Dave. And I have come to the conclusion of why most of the old dead heads and such don't come out as much anymore. You can't smoke in bars!

Mavericks is cool, you can come and go as you please. Some bars though have no re-entry (not so much smaller bars), but still, after paying $10 or more to see a show, older folks who are chronic smokers and just want to smoke and drink at the same time, will get crank on going out.

I know tons of people who just don't want to spend the money on beers at a bar on a weekend, when you can buy a few cheap cases, blare whatever music you want at home, and smoke any kind you like with no one to hassle you. I just think getting older makes you want to be more comfortable and well, you become lazy. So therefore, most people will choose which shows they want to get off their butt for and spend the money. A lot of the younger crowds will head to more shows cause we've got the energy and don't mind spending the money. I'm not saying older people don't have energy, they've just been to they're run of shows and can't get out to every single one anymore.

So it seems us as the younger generation just aren't picking up the slack. The scene isn't continuously growing as big, it's growing, just lacking a few seeds. And I think that may be due to our ever so busy schedules, and built up worry...less carelessness as there used to be back in the day.

Anywho, I'm gonna continue heading to whatever shows I can just because I love it and the music makes my world go round. I love seeing all you people out there at shows and seeing what the music can do to your soul.

Live the life you love.....

Much respect

Steph

First off, I had a blast sitting in with Diesel Dog and Caution Jam. I've been dying to play some electric guitar lately. I had to get that new guitar and amp into a live setting!!

As far as I’m concerned there is no better guys than Mavericks as far as giving a shit about what is happening in their bar. They try hard and you’ll never meet people that nice in their business.

The lack of turnout was disappointing for the bands. Diesel Dog is out on the road supporting a new cd (which I think is great, listening to it right now actually) and that's probably the last we'll see of Mark with Caution Jam (I actually always figured it was his band and 12 years in is certainly significant. End of an era) So for someone who is interested there is certainly reason to go and see these bands.

What I find disappointing really has nothing to do with either the bands/promotion/or fans. It’s just that it definitely felt like a nail in the coffin of what is left of the Ottawa jam scene.

There’s something very very different about going to a jam show (at least there was) and that’s how much fun everyone is having. 2000 –2004 in Ottawa you could go to ANY jam show and people would be there having a good time. I remember that the bands that did Dead tunes like TMNS or Caution Jam would have this crowd that only did Dead related shows…with maybe the odd other band. What happened to these people?

I also realized after a couple of years of not being interested in anything jammy that if I’m seeing a live show I need to see improvisation or I’d rather stay home.

I’ll miss what we used to have in this city because it was fucking great while it lasted.

Maybe we all just had too much fun.

I hope no one takes offense to anything I’ve said because I understand that life changes, and so do tastes. More so than anything, this caused me to reflect on what was.

Great memories.

About a dozen or so years ago I was saying exactly the same thing here in Ottawa. Then the scene got rejuvenated again. I hope and suspect it will happen again, and I want to be part of that wave too. Hope it's not a long wait.

I love some of this shit.

"I dont read anything if it is pinned."

i think this is quite useful info (for somebody out there) actually...that a large number of users do not look at the pinned posts. strange but true!

yup me too...I rarely look at pinned threads. Not intentionally, not in a 'I'm against pinned threads way', I just don't notice them, skip over them or something...yes starange but true.

Not to say I didn't know about this show though.

Just not my deal I guess but gees glad folks had fun and enjoyed it for sure...as said allready there was alot going on in Ottawa this night.I bet any other night woulda seen lots more folks in attendance.

I have to say though...'scene speak' makes me bolt in the opposite direction asap and I bet others too. Jam scene, indi scene, punk scene...whatever scene...so weird makes my skin crawl.

Edited by Guest

Your totally right Pablo.I'll only go to see live music if it's got improvisation. "scenes" or collective interests come and go.People always come back to improv. because it's the only sincere form of music. All other music is somewhat contrived or pre-meditated resulting in a lack of truth.Without improv. how else could musicians like ourselves who have never played together and don't know each other manage to communicate? Truth is common ground. Anyhow, I did have a good time playing on Saturday night(thanks Dave and Cjam). I also had a good time before and after the show. The good thing is that Friday nights gig paid for the gas to go to Ottawa and we didn't end up going in the hole.So we live to fight another day. Onward and upward.