Jambands.ca

Caution Jam ,Diesel Dog live at Mavericks Saturday May 5th

Mavericks

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's pretty harsh dude. You can count me out of the next No Buds For Bob show.

C'mon' date=' man. It's free admission!

[/quote']

I freely admit to not knowing when the next (free admission!) NBFB show is.

Aloha,

Brad

Maybe Eric and Les should relocate to Ottawa to find their new guitar player. they can spent playing the "next era" in Ottawa. Caution Jam are relentlous and will bring people back to the jam. Too bad there wasn't a great show up. I've had more fun at Caution Jam and Diesel Dog shows over the last few years than I can count. I hope both these bands don't feel discouraged because you are well loved.

www.lickballs.now doesn't seem to be working. you could have paid the bill if more people showed up at your gig. oh the irony.

it may be ironic, but I think I see the irony differently than you. either way, that wasn't a very nice. Why is this board so damn negative lately? With all apologies due to his current situation, I blame kung.

I haven't listened to the DD show yet, but Caution Jam was awesome, you guys got a real treat. Like someone earlier said, The Dead haven't wrote any new songs lately but they did write some pretty fucking good tunes and Caution Jam play them really fucking well. If you're really a Head, a Caution Jam show will do just fine thank you, weather it's now, five years ago or (hopefully) five years from now.

...I may have more to say after I listen to the DD portion.

I've seen your band before, and I was impressed. But what you said here leaves me with no desire to support you in the future.

Dude, I really don't want to make enemies here, but if that's all it takes than you should stop listening to music all together because you don't get it. Imagine if you were to get to hear Jerry post on a message board a week after every dissapointing show he had? Would you hate the Dead less?

I've seen your band before' date=' and I was impressed. But what you said here leaves me with no desire to support you in the future. [/quote']

Dude, I really don't want to make enemies here, but if that's all it takes than you should stop listening to music all together because you don't get it. Imagine if you were to get to hear Jerry post on a message board a week after every dissapointing show he had? Would you hate the Dead less?

I think you've nailed it somewhat BR by comparing Diesel Dog/Caution Jam to Jerry Garcia. No offense to either DD or CJ either. I've seen both live and had a good time both times.

I've seen your band before' date=' and I was impressed. But what you said here leaves me with no desire to support you in the future. [/quote']

I think you've nailed it somewhat BR by comparing Diesel Dog/Caution Jam to Jerry Garcia. No offense to either DD or CJ either. I've seen both live and had a good time both times.

It's not a comparison, it's a lifestyle. The Dead=Caution Jam=Diesel Dog=etc.

It's not a comparison, it's a lifestyle. The Dead=Caution Jam=Diesel Dog=etc.

That "lifestyle" was going down hill well before Jerry unfortunately met his maker.

a musician expresses a passionate opinion that improvisation is the most important element in music (after he got to jam onstage with one of his favorite musicians) and gets the reply "I think I'm going to be sick."

the guy was excited ... don't think he deserved to be shot down so passionately... people aren't entitled to opinions around here?

just because we've been subjected to wanky empty jams doesn't mean improvised music sucks... same as just because we've heard wanky empty songs doesn't mean all songs suck

the first time a song is written its "improvised"... without improvisation there would be no art

"Improvisation: The art of thinking and performing music simultaneously." - Grove Dictionary of Music (1954)

"You have to practice improvisation, let no one kid you about it!" - Art Tatum

"I'll play it first and tell you what it's called later." - Miles Davis

"When we were making Speaking in Tongues and Remain in Light, we were jamming. From that we were taking the best bits and then recording and improvising on top of those." - Tina Weymouth (Talking Heads)

"To create characters, one must build background. And one of the tools we use is improvisation." - Harvey Keitel

"the thing is that you cannot improvise unless you know exactly what you're doing." - Christopher Walken

www.lickballs.now doesn't seem to be working. you could have paid the bill if more people showed up at your gig. oh the irony.

it may be ironic' date=' but I think I see the irony differently than you. either way, that wasn't a very nice. Why is this board so damn negative lately? [/quote']

Dear Boiler Rat, I was replying to what Diesel Doug told everyone to do, which was to either create a new site called Bitchfest.ca or to visit his site called lickballs. Why are you saying that I was the mean one? He insulted everyone on this messageboard. Not that I was offended because it was a ridiculous statement, but c'mon.

go start another site and call it Bitchfest.ca or go to my link below. (www.lickballs.now)

a musician expresses a passionate opinion that improvisation is the most important element in music (after he got to jam onstage with one of his favorite musicians) and gets the reply "I think I'm going to be sick."

the guy was excited ... don't think he deserved to be shot down so passionately... people aren't entitled to opinions around here?

just because we've been subjected to wanky empty jams doesn't mean improvised music sucks... same as just because we've heard wanky empty songs doesn't mean all songs suck

the first time a song is written its "improvised"... without improvisation there would be no art.

I always respect your observations Paisely, although I think you softened some of DD's earlier post. Some people, including yours truly, took notice of this part of DD's post:

"because it's (improv/jam) the only sincere form of music. All other music is somewhat contrived or pre-meditated resulting in a lack of truth.Without improv. how else could musicians like ourselves who have never played together and don't know each other manage to communicate? Truth is common ground."

as I say, to me it sounds like he was excited, having a moment... I'm the king of over-stating things

agree its worthy of debate, just not worthy of condemnation

edit to add: I also lean heavily towards believing improvisation is the most important element of the music... grew up playing classical piano (grade 6 through the Royal Conservatory) and learned almost nothing... started sitting up at night banging away on the keys and started creating things and understanding a bit of how it all works

always dig your input as well there Jaimoe

for that matter I dig almost everyone's input around here

why I get sensitive when it seems someone's getting unjustly dumped on... Doug's a great guy

Edited by Guest
yep

go start another site and call it Bitchfest.ca or go to my link below. (www.lickballs.now)

get over it and put on your headphones. Sometimes I feel like telling everyone here to lick my balls too. (hmmmmm, that would feel nice)

I never heard so many bitter, rude, idiotic comments in my existense.

watch closely.... improvisation equalls jam and this is fuking Jambands.ca. It´s a forum for people who are into JAMBANDS. It used to be a place where people found out when and where these types of bands were playing. Now it´s got a bunch of music snobs who lurk about waiting to pounce on unsuspecting music lovers. People are taking this site for granted and forget what it´s intended for.So go start another site and call it Bitchfest.ca or go to my link below.

"Music lovers" wouldn't attempt to invalidate every form of musical expression other then the one they prefer by saying that all other forms are contrived and lacking in truth. Actually, that sounds like something a music snob would do.

When I referred to "people"I was using tact and not specifying you....AD. It's you who needs to take me out of context to try to get your feeble negative point across. I believe I originally stated feelings I have for improv. and music in general,to expand upon Pablo and Velvets sentiments about the "scene". The fact that you need to jump on someone's statement of feelings says it all. You must have nothing to be proud of. You are the antithesis of most everyone on this board and now we all know it. How about you expose some of your deepest feelings so we can all verbally kick you in the teeth. What's the matter, didn't your parents love you enough? Keep your negativity to yourself unless it actually is constructive. Oh, by the way that shot in the foot....it doesn't hurt AT ALL!

Edited by Guest

WoW...a little saddened by all the meanness and mud-slinging. Music sure does embiggen and empassion the soul, non?

Anyway, fwiw, I whole heartedly agree with Doug:

improv. because it's the only sincere form of music. All other music is somewhat contrived or pre-meditated resulting in a lack of truth.Without improv. how else could musicians like ourselves who have never played together and don't know each other manage to communicate? Truth is common ground.

and amen to this truth Pais....

the first time a song is written its "improvised"... without improvisation there would be no art

To improvise, jam, and CREATE a live music-conversation takes incredible focus and listening skills....which is why the vast majority of Top 40 and Easy Listening supporters prefer music to be a kind of background "aural wallpaper"....lots of people don't have the patience to listen (and this applies to every facet of life, btw, not just music)....but I have reached places through this type of music that can only be called spiritual and "whole" and I have been made to feel a PART of it, rather than having a performance played FOR me.

it's magic

and people who feel it/have felt it will be passionate about describing it.

When I referred to "people"I was using tact and not specifying you....AD. It's you who needs to take me out of context to try to get your feeble negative point across. I believe I originally stated feelings I have for improv. and music in general,to expand upon Pablo and Velvets sentiments about the "scene". The fact that you need to jump on someone's statement of feelings says it all. You must have nothing to be proud of. You are the antithesis of most everyone on this board and now we all know it. How about you expose some of your deepest feelings so we can all verbally kick you in the teeth. What's the matter, didn't your parents love you enough? Keep your negativity to yourself unless it actually is constructive. Oh, by the way that shot in the foot....it doesn't hurt AT ALL!

wow, the antithesis of everyone? no wonder I'm exhausted!

hugs and kisses to you too. check your private topics.