Jambands.ca

Caution Jam ,Diesel Dog live at Mavericks Saturday May 5th

Mavericks

Truthfully I hardly listen to anything that would be considered "jammy" Bt when it comes to going to see live music I feel like I need to see improv or I have no interest. I'm not saying it has to be all out improv or constant, but I feel like that when a group goes out on the edge even for a couple of minutes, that's what its all about.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm thinking of the music we go see in clubs, halls and theatres. I don't think its fair to compare your average rock bands to mozart.

That being said, if you think Mozarts music (and other classical composers) was static written to be played one way then you are very very wrong. Way back when, classical music had plenty of improvisation in it before it was turned into the dried prune it is today. The composers would put huge open sections into their compositions.

people don't generally appreciate those who paint the same picture the same way over and over again so much as those who continually paint different pictures... guess it all comes down to how well its done whichever approach is taken

personally I'll take a musican who feels comfortable expressing the moment over someone committed to going through the motions of "the time they got it right" any day

Edited by Guest
yaa

Ditto. I won't make the time to see a band who's going to be perfectly predictable; I can get as nauseous around electronica as I can with the reconstituted Pink Floyd, where you hear exactly the lick in your head before it's played.

I think dd's truth comment is spot on; it certainly applies in spoken conversations.

People always come back to improv. because it's the only sincere form of music. All other music is somewhat contrived or pre-meditated resulting in a lack of truth.

I think I'm going to be sick.

Word' date=' Hamilton. That's completely ridiculous. And [i']that's the truth.

People always come back to improv. because it's the only sincere form of music. All other music is somewhat contrived or pre-meditated resulting in a lack of truth.

I think I'm going to be sick.

Word' date=' Hamilton. That's completely ridiculous. And [i']that's the truth.

Come on. Maybe "people" is overstated, but I don't think there's a substitute for the moment of creativity where something new emerges. As Zappa said, you can make a mistake, but when you repeat that mistake, you have the beginning of a composition.

Maybe it's a worldview thing. I have had no use for written prayers, to take another example, since I discovered how fast they devolve into superficiality and self-hypnosis (having grown up in the days of the Lord's Prayer being recited every morning in public schools). Where's the truth in a roomful of jaded kids mumbling their way through those six clauses? I'm not putting down the content here, but it would take considerable effort to bring them to life for anyone under those conditions. The same applies, imo, to music; an attuned ear can pick up the passion that has to go into any performance of, say, a Brandenburg Concerto, but those performers and their conductor have to be, as it were, really givin'er.

I think what's being talked about here is not so much truth of falsity, but consciousness and unconsciousness.

Not into good music from local bands eh?

I would have opted for Plaskett/Elkas had I been in Capital City. I saw Caution Jam in '97' date=' '98, '99 (blah blah blah) and unless I'm mistaken, The Dead haven't written any new songs to cover. Lemme guess (insert drum roll) an Althea opener. I don't mean to sound "too" negative.....but shit gets old. Especially rehashed cover songs that are not even attempted to be explored in a new and way by the artist/musicians playing them. [/quote']

Got it.. hey come party with us in Brantford this friday at 2 doors down.. Free show... listen to this first please.

http://www.archive.org/details/cjam2007-05-05.oktava.shnf

WOOT WOOT.. I'm there! This will probably be the last time I get to see "Mad" Mark Crissinger playin' in the band for a long long time so it will be very bittersweet. Mark, please play that Stones song you know I love!!!

See ya Friday.

Oh yeah, full cover after midnight sucked but I figured the bands deserved it.

I didn't see any posters either, which is why I brought it up. I travel the downtown core on a daily basis and usually see Mavericks gig posters all over the place.

I never heard so many bitter, rude, idiotic comments in my existense.

watch closely.... improvisation equalls jam and this is fuking Jambands.ca. It´s a forum for people who are into JAMBANDS. It used to be a place where people found out when and where these types of bands were playing. Now it´s got a bunch of music snobs who lurk about waiting to pounce on unsuspecting music lovers. People are taking this site for granted and forget what it´s intended for.So go start another site and call it Bitchfest.ca or go to my link below.

I think Hippie is derived from the word Hypocrite.

Sorry to coopt your words W.S.I think I'll just freely paste this into threads from now on.It applies EVERYWHERE.

BTW I consider myself a music lover and a music snob.I had no idea they were mutually exclusive.

Of course-see quote above.

Can I get my 10 bucks back, please? I showed up, late, and got to see half of a show, still had to pay full cover.

Also...I didn't see one poster for this show...and I had been up and down Bank St. quite a few times over the past week.

Don't show up late :P

I never heard so many bitter, rude, idiotic comments in my existense.

watch closely.... improvisation equalls jam and this is fuking Jambands.ca. It´s a forum for people who are into JAMBANDS. It used to be a place where people found out when and where these types of bands were playing. Now it´s got a bunch of music snobs who lurk about waiting to pounce on unsuspecting music lovers. People are taking this site for granted and forget what it´s intended for.So go start another site and call it Bitchfest.ca or go to my link below.

You just shot yourself in the foot.

I've seen your band before, and I was impressed. But what you said here leaves me with no desire to support you in the future.

You just shot yourself in the foot.

I've seen your band before, and I was impressed. But what you said here leaves me with no desire to support you in the future.

That's pretty harsh dude. You can count me out of the next No Buds For Bob show.