Jambands.ca

Exclusive: Phish On The Hook

Esau

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is all crazy specualtion. The fact is, we don't even know how "alone" Mike was with this kid. Based on what Steve posted aboe, the whole thing could have been blown out of proportion. We should not begin to speculate what this means in terms of Fall tour or the continued sage of Phish (unless this means they will call me to play bass, lol).

Before we jump to any conclusions about this one report (whatever the truth of the matter, the way this report was written up stinks), let's have a look at the words of the father, buried deep in the report :

The girl's father added that "muckraking journalists should put the story to rest."

While not trying to bend over backwards to be lenient, I have a suspicion that the reporter of this is trying to stir up some shit. All IMHO, of course.

RnB

There is way too little info, and as Doggy put it, that article is incredibly biased. 2ndTubes quotes of someone's account make for a more likely scenario.

Instantly people read an article like that and say things like:

"Geez Mike, cant you keep your cock in your pants for a minute."

That is a very damaging stance to take with very little info. I hope too many people don't think like that.

if Mike G had the urge to hook up with a youngster I'm sure he could find a more descrete place and child than a short distance from her hells angel parents...

sucks to be famous

as for the you can't be alone with a 9 year old stuff, its probably not a good idea but if you're not a diddler, you're not a diddler... are you supposed to turn around and walk away if you run into a 9 year old with a skinned knee while you're out hiking? society is paranoid because it doesn't discuss the problems within itself that lead to pedophilia...

I wasn't there so I can't judge what Mike G was up to, same as I can't say what Pete was doing with those pictures, same as I can't say for sure if Micheal J is into kids...

all I do know is there seem to be more and more children being abducted, sexually abused and killed and maybe society should look at the factors causing this... and start looking for some ways to try and curb the rising tide of scary, unfair shit for kids... I don't think the solution is to isolate all adults who aren't their parents from them(and don't forget the numbers of abusive parents out there)... we need a society where adults aren't all considered possible threats to our children and where children learn to gauge the motives of adults...

quote:

Originally posted by Rob Not Bob:

Before we jump to any conclusions about this one report (whatever the truth of the matter, the way this report was written up stinks), let's have a look at the words of the father, buried deep in the report :

The girl's father added that "muckraking journalists should put the story to rest."

This was the first thing that jumped out at me when I read the story. If the father wasn't convinced that nothing had happened, he'd likely be screaming bloody murder - do you really think he'd be satisfied with just giving Gordo a few shots to the nutz? I know that wouldn't satisfy me, if it were my child.

So... poor judgement, yes. Criminal action... possible, but unlikely.

quote:

Originally posted by secondtube:

...so i take a little girl into a bathroom ready to do whatever i was going to do, but then i have second thoughts. so i return the little girl to their parents. i'm not responsible for anything?

[Roll Eyes]

Legally? No, you're not. The commission of a crime requires two things: the action and the intent. If you have only one without the other, you haven't committed a crime. This is why you can't be charged with theft for putting CDs in your pocket while in the store - because you haven't actually committed theft until you attempt to leave the store. The clerk can't call the cops until you walk out the door, because you might always change your mind and put the CDs down - or pay for them.

I used to work in the mall, right next a major department store, and I saw this happen all the time; some guy would have a coat-full of merchandise, and security would be tailing him. The guy would get wise, and dump the stuff right at the edge of the store and walk out. Security could do nothing.

Obviously, child molestation and theft are very different issues, but either way, unless you've *actually* done something wrong, then you're not guilty. Of course, Mike's not potentially being charged with molestation, but with child endangerment, which would require a much lower burden of proof - simply that you knowingly and willfully placed a child in a situation in which harm could potentially come to the child - more of a negligent act than anything...

Anyone who doubts the Cactus is WAY too easily manipulated by what they are told by the media. I will gladly eat my words if I am proven wrong, but the slant is in the total wrong direction. For those who care to doubt, and those who do not, you will undoubtably get a kick out of this post, found on another site:

8-18-03 Mike Gordon Solo Performance Secluded Boat House, Jones

Beach

>

>Set 1: Boogie On PrePube Woman, Taste > Meat*, Fast Enough for

Youth, Seven

>or Below > Sneaking Sally through the Boat House > Mike's Song > I

Am a

>Pedophile > Don't Tell Pa Groove**

>

>Set 2: Lonesome Cactus Mike > Scent of a Minor, Down with Preteens^,

All

>Things Inconsidered, Don't You Wanna Go Home > Split Open that Ass

>

>E: Bold as Pedophilia^^

>

>* unfinished; ** almost caught by random passerby ^ another close

call ^^

>w/ cops and Hell's Angels

Also, if Kung should come on here and post that he was in fact molested by Cactus as a child, please be aware that he is indeed, full of shit.

Ok...

If he was just, at 1am, hanging with a 9 year old outside, maybe to get the child away from the party, in full view of the door or something...ok...as soon as he brought out the camera...he's lucky he still has his nuts.

This guy's supposed to be a musical genius???

If he's not a diddler(or potential diddler) he's the BIGGEST DUMBASS in the history of BIG DUMBASSES.

P.S. I am a parent of 2 girls...this(media bullshit taken into consideration) smells too fishy to me. And yes, that's fishy with an F.

You know; now this has gone to far. This shit isn't funny and it shouldn't be taken lightly. If it's true it's some poor little girl's brush with a horrific and indecent act that would have and may yet forever scar her. If it's not true it's some poor man's reputation that will forever be questioned. It's a f*&cking horrible situation either way and I'm disgusted to know that people I associate with would find humour in it.

[Mad][Mad][Mad][Mad]

quote:

Originally posted by hamilton:

quote:

Originally posted by Rob Not Bob:

This was the first thing that jumped out at me when I read the story. If the father wasn't convinced that nothing had happened, he'd likely be screaming bloody murder - do you really think he'd be satisfied with just giving Gordo a few shots to the nutz? I know that wouldn't satisfy me, if it were my child.

So... poor judgement, yes. Criminal action... possible, but unlikely. [/QB]

Ever think maybe Gordon has paid off the Hell's Angels father? Sounds to me like Gordon is scum. Anyone wanna buy some Phish CDs cheap?

"Phish Bassist Mike Gordon Caught With Enormous Finger Up 9 Year Old Girl's Arse"

Now, is this a serious situation? I don't think any of us really know at all. And, as always, only time will tell. One thing is for certain, severe moments of seriousness should always be made light of. Hence the term "Comic Relief".

Do you think the Jedi Master Yoda would have to worry about people accusing him of "jamming" his young apprentices as opposed to teaching them the ways of the force? Against the Jedi code of honour to always do the right thing?

Gordo is a Jedi. The Phorce is with him.

One thing is for certain, there are better and better seats opening up for Phish by the second!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your loss be our gain.

Ye have little phaith.

Beware the dark side.

From Jambands.com

---------------------

Clarifications Regarding Mike Gordon Arrest

Phish bassist Mike Gordon was arrested on August 11 in Wantagh, N.Y. Gordon, who was a guest of The Dead at Jones Beach Amphitheater the night before, was charged with endangering the welfare of a child and trespassing in a closed area when he and a nine-year old girl were found in a boathouse near the back of the venue. A source familiar with the situation tells Relix/Jambands.com that Gordon and the girl were tooling around on his Segway scooter snapping photographs. “It is well-known that Mike chronicles many events and was taking pictures of the entire concert throughout the evening. None of the pictures that he took, including the pictures with the young girl, was inappropriate.” Gordon and the girl's family also released a joint statement, which reads: "We have had several discussions regarding the situation that occurred at Jones Beach. It is now clear to all involved that this was an unfortunate misunderstanding, and we look forward to putting this matter behind us."

Gordon is scheduled to appear in First District Court of Nassau County on September 29.

I read this article and all I see is an INCREDIBLY biased account of an incident that occurred after a Dead show.

quote:

deserted boathouse

quote:

art photos

quote:

I am not a pedophile

Geez, I wonder if this reporter has an agenda? I wonder how much he was paid by NBC for the story?

I know its hard to believe that such a sensationalistic story could make it onto the national news because we all know how much americans hate sensational news stories.

People have been talking about whether it would be all right if it was some joe smoe who had walked off with the child. Fact is it doesn't matter because we would never have heard about it because it would not be an "important" enough story.

This story has about as much credibility to me as the Phish fall tour rumours. (That is absolutely none).

Let's allow the police to investigate the incident and see if there is any truth to it.

Chalk this one up to a TRAGIC misunderstanding that will haunt Mike for the rest of his life. I blame the collective zero IQ of the Hells Angels more than Mike's poor judgement. It looks like they decided to shoot first and ask questions later - USA style. in the meantime Mike was crucified by the press and the public. Pedophilia is the one true unforgivable sin left in our society and anyone who's suspected of it, whether it be by some Hells Angel neanderthal or a reputable person, is branded for life. I hope the family of the girl makes a big effort to clear his name, although I doubt the H.A.'s will allow that.

actually there has been the story thread that indicated that the mother did know and forgot earlier....so...who's to say except them and they seem to have backed down. I personally see it more as a missunderstanding that unfortunately got sorted out after Mike took a few.

Didn't someone else say- maybe the HA's guys acted on impulse rather than seeing what was up.- Lord knows that has never been the case before- I'm sure, not to sterotype the HA's. And maybe the mother did know and was on something and flaked on knowing what she said to her daugther and then got her man all rilled up about it cause she had forgotten.

by the way- i think paisley had some pretty well said thoughts on this...thanks Paisley!

Fetish is saying everything I was thinking about this all along. That sounds like the scenario that went down. I do buy the angle that Mike related to the girl being in a hairy environment, one she was no doubt used to, in my experience kids that grow up like that are very weary, easy to distrust and by no means have the wool over their eyes.

Hey, if I was 9 and some guy was tooling around on a Segway where I was hanging out, I'd have begged to try it! And I think a lot of people under the circumstances (considering that Segways are supposedly safer than bikes or skateboards) would have said "sure kid, try it!" and would want to take some pictures 'cus that would be cute.

Sounds like this is what happened IMHO. I'm totally in the "case of bad judgement" camp on this one.

Peace,

Mr. M.

quote:

Originally posted by paisley:

all I do know is there seem to be more and more children being abducted, sexually abused and killed and maybe society should look at the factors causing this... and start looking for some ways to try and curb the rising tide of scary, unfair shit for kids... I don't think the solution is to isolate all adults who aren't their parents from them(and don't forget the numbers of abusive parents out there)... we need a society where adults aren't all considered possible threats to our children and where children learn to gauge the motives of adults...

I was actually wondering out loud recently if there really is more abuse than there was in the past, or if we just have a different sensitivity and awareness of it now. Chris Rock makes a joke in his last video about the fact that when he was growing up "everybody had that 'molester uncle'" and when you got older, your mother would blame you if you got molested - "I told you Uncle Charlie was bad!" The history of families and communities covering up this stuff is well known. Obviously there are horrific and high profile cases like Holly Jones, but I don't know if there are more of these than there were in the 60s, 70s, 80s, etc. If someone else has stats I'd be very interested to see them.

At the same time I agree wholeheartedly as I think many of us do with paisley about looking at the societal factors around this stuff. I have some good friends who are Children's Aid workers, and I am always amazed at their stories about kids crawling around on the floors of meth labs and such. The existence of places and situations like that is what we need to deal with, and we need a culture that supports our child social workers and such folks in their extraordinary work. Lord knows I and most of us couldn't do what they do.

- M.

Archived