Jambands.ca

What do you drive?

Jared

Just thought I would put this out there, and see what people had to say.

As many of my friends know I drive a Hummer. I constanly hear people talking crap about them, making fun of people who drive them, and just a general hatred toward these cars.

fI find most of the comments by people are totaly untrue, and most people who hate them, probably havn't seen one or looked at facts

I have always driven SUV's I like having the space, enought room to crash if needed, being higher up on the road, and the 4 wheel drive, and handeling. I've had a blazer, jeep tj, grand cherokee, pick up truck, land rover, and yukon. When gas prices went up a few years ago, I decided to give into the hype and try a car. I got a subaru all whele drive. It was the worst car I owned, 4x4 on any SUV was way better in the winter, and the used just as much gas, and was more for insurance. I took it back after 4 months.

Sure I live in the city, and there really arn't to many rivers i have to fordge on my way to work. But there are countless times I've need a SUV. I pull boats and camping trailers, Often. My cottage is no maintained roads in the winter and before I had a SUV we'd have to hike 2 hours in. There are countless time in the winter, every other car was stuck in snow, and I was the only person on time at work. Plus my SUV is always paked with thinks that would never fit a small car.

I thought HUMMERS were stupid too, and never considered buying one. When my landrover died. I wanted to buy a used jeep. My grand cherokee was by far my fav car I ever drove. It got stolen. When I went to the dealership I was looking a 04 grand chreokee, it had a v8, huge hemi. It didnt have leather, a sun roof, or power locks, and had 47000km. It was around $39,000 or the lease was like $400 a month. In the back I noticed a used H3 I went and looked at it. The hummer had a V6 3.5l and some feature that when your driving slow it switches to only 4 of the cylinders. the hummer is shorter in legents, side to side, and overall heigh then the jeep. The hummer was an 06, with 20,00k, every option, I still liked the jeep a bit more. but the hummer had more leg room all around, especially in the back, it has a high towing capacity, higher clearance, and had run flat tires. The kicker was the Hummer was $ 35,000.

It was an easy choise, a cheeper car that is 4 years newer, 3 grand less, still under warrenty. Uses less gas, and has more room. The fact the car looks cool was just a bonus.

My land rover, didn't fit in my gerage, my hummer does easily, it used to cost me at least $20 in gas each way to my cottgae, in any other suv, In the Hummer $20 gets me there and home and to work on monday.

I really dont see why people hate them so much, its far more efficient then any car i've ever owned

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Almost sounds more like a guilty conscience defending a choice in vehicle that most people see as excessive. We all have the freedom to purchase whatever we see fit. It's gotta suck when the majority of the pop sees your choice as one that is not deemed socially acceptable anymore (especially in the city).

Do you own a pitbull too? Just wondering, as many of their owners defend them in the same manner.

Me? I drive a 20 year old BMW (no need to keep on building so many new cars when you can keep old ones alive) to get the GO Train. We also have an 8 year old minivan (which puts us high up, lots of legroom, can fit more in the back than a Hummer, has towing capacity and looks unassuming). Both are safer than driving in most SUVs. The majority of the cars you see in the ditch in the winter going up to cottage country are SUVs. False sense of security driving and horrible stopping ability. I flipped a Ford Excursion 6 years ago. It was EASY. Glad there was nobody in the back seats (as they advertised you could carry a little league team in it) as they would have been CRUSHED. Diff safety standards for SUVs.

Not to start a flame war here about SUVs vs. cars, but there are a lot of facts out there that are completely warped in the whole scenario. Take a look at this article ... it's good:

http://www.net-monster.com/blather_suvs_part1.html

http://www.net-monster.com/blather_suvs_part1.html

2000 explorer, basically a leftover from my grandmother first, then my parents...now me which is recycling in a way :P and this is the second one I have owned in that exact pattern. My family has since broken the trend and gone with cars so this will be my last suv :) I've tried to make the most of owning these vehicles using them as my bed at alot of festivals and carting alot of people around packed to capacity with gear...

Captainsunshine just went from a jeep tj to a 03 Subaru Impreza which we both love, and drive the most.

Edited by Guest

Hey Jared can i ask how you afford a Hummer, Mortgate, Cottage, Boats and such? Do you have rich parents or a great job. I have an inkling that it's option A.

And i've got to go with the Majority vote on Hummers, your making up for something there dude.

Here's what I drive:

My daily commuter is a 92 vw jetta turbo diesel with roughly 355,000KMs on it. I average about 950kms/tank and log close to 200KMs/day. I paid $1000 for it over a year ago.

Our (family) car is a 2001 toyota carolla with about 85,000KMs on it. Krissi averages about 700kms/tank. We paid $10,000 for it a few months ago.

Cars I've owned in the past:

1986 mazda rx-7

1987 honda accord

1998 ford contour (totalled in an accident but probably saved our lives)

1988 vw jetta

1972 vw beatle

I'm also of the opinion that there is no need to buy new vehicles. Not that I'm against it, but there are always loads and loads of very decent used vehicles out there that can be had at a bargain.

And if I can do my part in reducing the amount of landfill and energy needed to recycle old cars/produce new cars by driving an old "beater", then I'm all for it.

Besides, I like the feel of old cars so much better. None of that ABS garbage or over-assisted power steering. Har har!

i gotta figure a way to get better mileage out of my jetta. it's gas powered and has a 45 litre tank, but still i average between 450 and 500 km per tank. that seems low to me but i don't know how to calculate it or compare with other vehicles of the same vintage.

i change the oil regularly, i'm strict about tire pressure, i never keep heavy shit in the truck for long periods, i use the AC sparingly....

as a child my family was really into camping. we (4 of us) drove from Blind River, ON to Vancouver with a trailer, countless trips to camp (single-lane dirt roads on St. Joseph's island), annual summer camping trips (towing a trailer) to Manitoba. My dad also used it for 200+ km daily commutes from Blind River to his office in Elliot Lake. All in an early '80s shit brown toyota hatchback. oddly, we always seemed to make it there and back, and never had a winter accident (living in northern ontario, on Highway 17).

Edited by Guest

i gotta figure a way to get better mileage out of my jetta. it's gas powered and has a 45 litre tank, but still i average between 450 and 500 km per tank. that seems low to me but i don't know how to calculate it or compare with other vehicles of the same vintage.

It's all about the diesel, my Dad gets 1000k a tank in his TDI diesel Passat, I was driving it last week and was convinced the fuel gage was busted.