Jambands.ca

Music Urban Legends

StoneMtn

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

anyone ever hear of jimi hendrix cutting his forehead open, slipping a few doses on top of the cuts, then tying his bandana over it?

what about the red snapper story in general, led zeppelin, a big red snapper, a willing groupie, in a hotel room full of booze and drugs. i remember reading it in a zep book wayyy back.

Legend has it that in the early-1960s Bob Dylan met John Lennon in person. They were both glad to meet each other, having heard about each other for years.

Apparently, Bob said, "You write great music. Why don't you write some intelligent lyrics to go along with it?"

Apparently John said, "I really dig your lyrics. Why don't you mellow out, though, and start experimenting with illegal drugs?"

They both went home, and heeded each others' advice. The rest was history.

Legend? Truth?

Naw, it's widely reported that Dylan got them high for the first time.

Yeah I've read that.

And I've heard the Hendrix bit too, wrapping a tab or two in his bandana over a cut on his forehead.

How about this one:

If you go see the Pete Best Band nowadays (original Beatles drummer), he has a second drummer who is much younger than he is. In the middle of the show, though, Pete introduces the guy as his brother.

The story as told to me begins with Neil Aspinall, original Beatles roadie. Pete Best's mother ran a club in the basement of their house and the Beatles used to play there and rehearse there often. Aspinall was renting a room in the house and apparently became romantically involved with Pete Best's mother...one thing lead to another and the roadie knocked her up. A short time later they fired Pete Best from the band. His little brother is the roadie's kid.

Meantime, the roadie worked his way up and was the director of Apple Records from its inception until April of this year when he finally stepped down. Anybody heard anything like this?

Naw' date=' it's widely reported that Dylan got them high for the first time.[/quote']

Yeah I've read that.

And I've heard the Hendrix bit too, wrapping a tab or two in his bandana over a cut on his forehead.

How about this one:

If you go see the Pete Best Band nowadays (original Beatles drummer), he has a second drummer who is much younger than he is. In the middle of the show, though, Pete introduces the guy as his brother.

The story as told to me begins with Neil Aspinall, original Beatles roadie. Pete Best's mother ran a club in the basement of their house and the Beatles used to play there and rehearse there often. Aspinall was renting a room in the house and apparently became romantically involved with Pete Best's mother...one thing lead to another and the roadie knocked her up. A short time later they fired Pete Best from the band. His little brother is the roadie's kid.

Meantime, the roadie worked his way up and was the director of Apple Records from its inception until April of this year when he finally stepped down. Anybody heard anything like this?

True at least according to several Beatle bios I have read.

I once heard that Clapton found out that his sister, who is 12 years older than he is, is actually his mother. His mother is his grandmother, and she raised him as his own. If I'm correct, he learned about this only around 10 or 12 years ago.

Anyone ever hear that legend?

Yes, I saw that reported widely (esp. in the Canadian press; I think his father was in the Canadian military).

Aloha,

Brad

I also heard something similar regarding the origin of AC/DC's name. Although I think I was told that it mean "Against Christ, Devil's Children"...

I know I've heard some rumour that Rod Stewart blew off all of his bandmates and then had to have his stomach pumped. Something tells me that account is a little (or a lot) inaccurate...

I once heard that Clapton found out that his sister, who is 12 years older than he is, is actually his mother. His mother is his grandmother, and she raised him as his own. If I'm correct, he learned about this only around 10 or 12 years ago.

Anyone ever hear that legend?

Here are some internet found facts:

Eric Patrick Clapton was born on March 30, 1945, in his grandparent's house at 1, The Green, Ripley, Surrey, England. He was the illegitimate son of Patricia Molly Clapton and Edward Fryer, a Canadian soldier stationed in England. After W.W.II Fryer returned to his wife in Canada, Patricia left Eric in the custody of his grandparents, Rose and Jack Clapp. (The surname Clapton is from Rose's first husband, Reginald Cecil Clapton.) Patricia moved to Germany where she eventually married another Canadian soldier, Frank McDonald.

Young Ricky (that's what his grandparent's called him) was a quiet and polite child, an above average student with an aptitude for art. He was raised believing that his grandparents were his parents and his mother was his sister, to shield him the stigma that illegitimacy carried with it. The truth was eventually revealed to him, at the age of nine by his grandmother. Later, when Eric would visit his mother, they would still pretend to be brother and sister.

A great one I heard involved the band Dayglo Abortions. Apparently, one night in a band room...maybe the Embassy in London...they took apart the TV, took a shit inside it, and put it back together. Of course no one could find the stench of it for weeks. People I've told it to have told me they heard about another band at another venue, etc.

This is the one I heard too.. Daygo Abortions, Embassy in London, shit in tv. I believe it.. they are gross!

I know I've heard some rumour that Rod Stewart blew off all of his bandmates and then had to have his stomach pumped. Something tells me that account is a little (or a lot) inaccurate...

The offical rumour is that he had to have his stomach pumped and they brought up a gallon (or some other amount) of semen. Never happened.

The offical rumour is that he had to have his stomach pumped and they brought up a gallon (or some other amount) of semen. Never happened.

Surprisingly, His Rodness has since denied this story.

I heard it was the semen of a dog.

I love the localization of urban legends. Anyone who has lived in Ottawa for a good length of time has heard the "Richard Gere/gerbil in the anus" rumour but with a local news anchor in the Gere role.

Getting off the music topic so I'll leave with this one, similar to the AC/DC hysteria:

KISS = Knights In Satan's Service

There's also the one about Alice Cooper refusing to perform until the audience had killed a box of puppies that he brought out.