Jambands.ca

Skank Input re: Hotel Experiences

Ms.Huxtable

Hey Skanks,

I know this group of people travels a fair bit so I pose a question to you.

Think about a particularly good hotel experience that you've had. What made it stand out? Was it the service, the room, the common areas, the gym, the check-in/out process, the extras? How was it special?

Thanks skanks.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Holiday Inn - Auburn Hills Michigan!

Best hotel experience ever!

Nov 2003:

Pool open ALL NIGHT! Drinking allowed, smoking, cannonballs in the hot tub! Made for an incredible post The Other Ones pool party! The staff was so chill.. if you were smoking, bam, tin ash tray, at your service. Drinkingn from a bottle? No problem, here's a cup for you to pour that into.

Our room was on the second floor, right next to the stair case, which was the back entrance to the pool area.. that was sure handy!

I forgot a bunch of clothes down at the pool and they had them for me at the desk at check out!

I bet someone else has alrady posted about this place by now..

Holiday Inn - Auburn Hills Michigan!

Best hotel experience ever!

Nov 2003:

Pool open ALL NIGHT! Drinking allowed, smoking, cannonballs in the hot tub! Made for an incredible post The Other Ones pool party! The staff was so chill.. if you were smoking, bam, tin ash tray, at your service. Drinkingn from a bottle? No problem, here's a cup for you to pour that into.

Our room was on the second floor, right next to the stair case, which was the back entrance to the pool area.. that was sure handy!

I forgot a bunch of clothes down at the pool and they had them for me at the desk at check out!

I bet someone else has alrady posted about this place by now..

yeah! that night was awesome times indeed... good call

I dislike hotels...but what makes the stay better for me is simple conforts, i.e. Big Soft towels, not the little 2 x 4 footers, comfy bed and pillows, good ventilation...no checkout nazis...friendly/helpful staff. THAT is in north america, in south america, I pray for no huge bugs, air conditioning, running water, private bath.... :)

LATE CHECK-OUT!!

I think it's the Intercontinental hotel in Montreal that has 1 PM check-out and I absolutely love it. 2 PM would be even better! ;)

Some others "nice to haves":

- 24 hour convenience store on site

- free highspeed internet access

- free access to fridge

- windows that open

- smoking rooms available (I'm looking at you Marriott)

ensuites in Cleveland offers free alcoholic drinks in the bar to guests from 530-730 every night and free hot breakfast every morning. Now thats service!

I second that, same thing happened to me in Tampa only they also had fresh warm cookies when you checked in.

Free breakfast is a bonus, and I'm not talking about continental crap.

Hey I was at that Auburn Hills Holiday Inn that night! Enjoyed the all-night pool and hot tub. A great time.

Yeah I can add to this thread as a seasoned traveller. Things I like in hotels are:

- late check-out

- loyalty program

- all night restaurant or room service

- free internet

- indoor and outdoor pool!

Edited by Guest

Free breakfast is a bonus, and I'm not talking about continental crap.

Agreed. I stayed at the Marriott Residence in Montreal a couple of times, and they even had make-'em-yourself waffles. (I've also stayed at places that had something less than a full breakfast, but 'way more than a muffins/juice/coffee continental: cereal, bagels, cheese, deli meats, hot beverages, yogurt, croissants, etc. Even at a reasonable price [$10, say], it's a great deal, in my opinion.)

Aloha,

Brad

Yes, late check-out is very important. All of Ollie's suggestions are what I look for also in a hotel, plus:

- secure indoor parking

- room service

- the Food Network on TV is a plus

- tourist magazines in the room, and local maps

- not just a little shampoo, but also conditioner

- a little fridge to store our own beer etc.

- free local newspaper

- no knocks or calls from the maid asking us if we need anything (they should pay attention to the Do Not Disturb sign)

- corkscrew and bottle opener in the room.

Haha! Now Ollie and I sound very high-maintenance, don't we?!

Those suggestions are things I expect from large chains in cities.

I also love little motels by the side of the road that don't offer many of those services.

i rarely ever get the "free breakfast" anyway because it always ends at like 10 am. i'm on vacation and i may not be up that early. ok so i never get up that early' date=' hehehe.[/quote']

Totally! But I usually just make Christine go and bring me back something. ;)

Oh yeah, that's right...and then you complain about what I brought you back! ;)

Velvet gave me a great tip that can be used at the Renaissance Downtown Hotel in Toronto (aka the Skydome hotel): automatic (or near-automatic) upgrades. If you ask for an upgrade when you're checking in and there's one available, they have to give it to you, at no extra cost. I think Velvet and phorbesie got bumped up to a split-level suite with a field view at Skydome for a cheap priceline rate just for asking last year.

Aloha,

Brad

I love hotels....high end ,boutique style....

if it can't be that, or I know I'm just crashing and /or drunk then I prefer budget motels..if I'm not conscious why spend the money.

I used to do marketing for an exclusive inn..which had great perks of staying in fantastic spots.

One of my favorite Toronto/Montreal hotels...

Hotel le Germain

If I'm spending the money I am really picky about the design/accoutrements of the actual room...flowered bedspreads piss me off.

Late check out is a must

Anonymous sex is too...with "nice" lotions.

Canada has nothing on most other developed countries hotels.

Edited by Guest