Jambands.ca

The Return of Def Leppard

bouche

I'll have to ask my parents if I can go to this show. If I get my driver's license by the time of the show maybe I'll be able to drive. Hey, have you heard the Dead's new album Go to Heaven? It's pretty cool.

Deja vu! That's funny because Def Leppard at Copps was all set to by my first concert ever, back in 19__ (the Hysteria tour), but my parents wouldn't let me go. :(

When I was in grade 7 back in 1981, I remember really liking songs from this new band called Def Leppard: "High 'N' Dry" and "Bringing on the Heartbreak", both from the just released High 'N Dry album. Syracuse rock radio (big influences on Kingston Ont. kids at the time) was playing the songs quite a bit and looking back, the old Leppard does sound a bit like AC/DC; no wonder I liked them. I even liked stuff off of their follow-up 1983 album, Pyromania: "Rock of Ages", "Photograph" and particularly "Foolin'". Then I quickly discovered Hendrix and Stevie Ray and never listened to them again. I can't make fun of the band because they were exciting for my young ears and those early albums were a lot better than most of the 80's junk than flooded the airwaves.

I would go see Def Leppard. We had a hockey team gift exchange one Christmas back in the day. Basically it was a Def Leppard 'Hysteria' album exchange. I asked the guy buying my gift for Dire Straits though because I liked the song 'Money For Nothin'.. thankfully he bought from the bargain bin though and I instead received a cassette of their '78 debut album! I've had a soft spot for Sultans of Swing since. Thanks Paul!

DS_Dire_Straits.jpg

It's not really Styx without Dennis De Young ... oh, and REO Speedwagon had one of the worst performances on the Live Aid DVD (quite a feat, considering the competition) based on Kevin Cronyn singing flat throughout the entire performance.

Def Leppard? Count me as one of the ones who enjoyed them back in the lost days of my youth, but haven't felt a real need to listen to them since Paranoia (although instead of moving on to Hendrix or Stevie Ray, I got into the far less cool likes of Yes and Prog Rock). Can't fault anyone for going to enjoy the show or relive old memories, although I do have a bit of a grudge based on going to a party (in the late '90s, mind) where they played Hysteria in full from beginning to end ... then immediately played the whole damned album again.

RnB