Jambands.ca

Charlton Heston...

hamilton

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heston is one of my favourite actors and was in some of my favourite movies off all time. I'm sad about this even though I don't like his NRA stance. Looking back at Michael Moore's staged ambush of a frail Alzheimer-laden Heston in Bowling for Columbine is cringe-inducing and embarrassing... for Michael.

What gets overlooked (and it shouldn't) is that Heston was a trailblazer in the 50's and 60's for his stance on civil rights and his films often examined controversial socio-political themes, not to mention Planet of the Apes is one of the best films ever, not to mention somewhat boldly socio-political. R.I.P. Charleton. You are one of the greats.

It's entirely easy to look down on Heston with his stance on guns, but the right to bear arms is one that has been entirely vilified because of the zealotry that goes hand in hand with weapons and power.

Guns are bad but the right to have them to defend ourselves from an unjust ruling class is entirely fair.

And that hits at the heart of civil rights.

Don't forget when your talented and hugely famous you don't have to be held accountable for anything.

not saying I have a problem with heston just pointing out something that gets to me sometimes.

also its funny how death reminds us about how great people are no matter what.

when Micheal Jackson dies will he still be a freak or just a real talented person that was misunderstood and treated unfairly?

I always get an effeminate Englishman [Roger Moore] mixed-up with that fat blowhard American entertainer.
Yup. I totally agree on the Michael Moore bit as well Jaimoe. What a fat cunt with an agenda.

hey, shouldn't y'all at least let the Moores die before ya take cheap shots like this?

i don't like how actors get credit for the overall message of the films they are in. they're actors, not writers. sure some of them can choose their roles, but you know, they're acting.

not that any of this is against Heston (i don't know shit about him), but more as a follow-on to what Sheebs said.

I always get an effeminate Englishman [Roger Moore] mixed-up with that fat blowhard American entertainer.
Yup. I totally agree on the Michael Moore bit as well Jaimoe. What a fat cunt with an agenda.

hey' date=' shouldn't y'all at least let the Moores die before ya take cheap shots like this? [/quote']

Yea, lol. I thought the "its cool to hate on Micheal Moore" phase had passed with Sicko, but I guess not? Either that or its come around again. I can't keep track.

i don't like how actors get credit for the overall message of the films they are in. they're actors, not writers. sure some of them can choose their roles, but you know, they're acting.

not that any of this is against Heston (i don't know shit about him), but more as a follow-on to what Sheebs said.

Although AD, Heston lived and worked through the McCarthism era, early civil rights movement and the Cold War, so I think selecting controversial films and playing controversial characters set him apart from fellow actors and directors that played it safe.

i don't like how actors get credit for the overall message of the films they are in. they're actors' date=' not writers. sure some of them can choose their roles, but you know, they're acting.

not that any of this is against Heston (i don't know shit about him), but more as a follow-on to what Sheebs said.[/quote']

Although AD, Heston lived and worked through the McCarthism era, early civil rights movement and the Cold War, so I think selecting controversial films and playing controversial characters set him apart from fellow actors and directors that played it safe.

Regardless of the "message" of his movies, Heston worked hard in favor of civil rights in the 50s and 60s ... it's just that his interpretation of civil rights included his particular definition of the 2nd ammendmant "Right To Bear Arms". I don't agree with his position on the last matter, but I just wanted to show there was more than one facet to the man.

I think what is getting lost in all of this is that he was a horrible actor. Over acting to the extreme. The cold, dead hands business aside, I always thought that he was a ham.

Ten Commandments was on TV the other day and it was just brutal.

I'm not glad he's gone or anything, I just wonder if we're going to have the same outpouring of emotion when Jean-Claude Van Damm dies.