Jambands.ca

No CTMF for me; (gentle) vibes needed

bradm

I tripped and fell last night, and landed, hard, on the left side of my torso. Nothing's broken or cracked, but my left rib cage now has a mild ache under the best of circumstances, and amps up to severe pain when I do things like cough (which I'm still doing, the cold I caught at Slowcoaster last week not having left my system yet). As a result, I've come to the unfortunate conclusion that there's no way I can do CTMF: I don't have the energy/stamina/pain-threshold for all the running around beforehand, don't want to be cramped up for hours in a car, won't be able to get around the way I'd want to to enjoy myself (let alone tape) at the festival, and can't face the prospect of crawling in and out of a tent to sleep on very little between me and the hard, hard, ground. I'd also want to hug a lot of people, and, well, I tend to hug pretty hard, which would be a bad thing at this point.

Instead, I'll be at home, resting up, and trying to recuperate.

I'm not a happy camper right now, both because I'm not happy, and because I'm not going to be a camper. I was even finally going to buy a bigger tent and everything...

Aloha,

Brad

(stern mother voice)

brad, i think you should go and see a doctor. that is not a good part of your body to be bashing about like a sack of potatoes. even if it is something as small as a bruised rib, you could have some sort of internal damage. you should get it checked out.

with that, i offer you huge sympathy and i am very sorry to hear you will not be making it this weekend! i do admire that you have the smarts to decide not to go though. happy healing and we will miss seeing you there!

:)

That is immeasurably shitty, Brad. Are you sure you couldn't wrap yourself up in a bunch of big bulky sleeping bags and lob yourself in a canoe, say, for a nice gentle ride down the Rideau Canal to the lake, through Niagara, and then someone could pick you up around Port Dover. I mean, the water can be really soothing and therapeutic, and beats the hell out of a car on the 401. Everyone could promise not to hug too hard, either, or just give you namastes instead.

Take care of yourself. Get better. You still have a couple of days, but whatever, I really hope you're doing ok. That pain sucks. I once had a 250 lb. guy fall on me (I won't retell the drunken circumstances), cracked a couple of ribs, nearly had my spleen busted open, and got up a fever of 104. The only practical upshot was the calibre of hallucinations it provided me.

Banged

Ribs

Are

Disappointing

Hahaha, sorry...couldn't help myself.

Brad, that's really unfortunate. However, PP's right...I admire your wise decision to sit this one out. I certainly don't have the brains to do that. :P Besides, there's a whole lot going down this summer and there's no need to complicate the situation further. I was really hoping to chat with you, but I guess that'll have to wait until next time. :)

Take care of yourself and get lots of rest. If you bruised your ribs, arnica (cream or homeopathic gobules) are great for any kind of aches. Big (gentle) hug your way!

(((((((((BradM)))))))))

Sorry to hear that man.

Hopefully a miracle will happen, and you can make it.... Maybe God will take your sore rib and make some other fantastic new invention from it... although I gotta say it's pretty hard to top what he did with the last rib.

ribs are among the worst things you could break. i did mine in almost 5 years ago and it still haunts me. re-cracked them last year at hillside climbing a tree to hang a tarp...sadly too they can't really tape you up (unless you can hold your breath for a few weeks...)

Do go to the doctor if you haven't been alredy, and take it easy...

sorry to hear that Brad... I know rib pain only too well... don't think there's really a positive side to it... like having the hick-ups for a month

sadly that type of thing just takes time to recover, still gonna hurt 2 weeks from now no matter what you do... if a doc offers you painkillers, take em (generally I avoid painkillers except for recreational purposes, but sore ribs are a uniquely frustrating condition)

(and Velvet's probably right, check with your doc... if you're gonna ache the same whether you're on your couch or leaning against a tree at Izzy's might want to just tough it out)

... painkillers

Edited by Guest

you strike me as a smart and conscientious dude, so I'm sure you've been to the doctor, and if not, you've been duly finger-wagged by many who care about you and no doubt you'll be making an appointment soon.

you've obviously considered in detail how difficult and uncomfortable and painful CTMF will be for you, so you're not making the decision lightly. I agree it's the best one, although you will be missed by many.

Get well now so that the rest of the summer will be pain-free!!

healing thoughts being sent your way!

Guest Low Roller

Shit, that sucks Brad. That'll teach you to run experiements within my experiments.

Get better!

.......vibes........

I went to the doctor after work, and the news was pretty good. The ribs themselves are OK; it appears I damaged the cartilege at the end of (one of) the ribs. It's spongy, and I squished it, and it's unsquished/unsquishing.

Taping up my torso won't help, as it's not expansion across the torso that hurts, it's up and down motion, and clenching of the muscles in that area (e.g., when coughing).

He said it would hurt for 5 or 6 days (I'm figuring at least a week), and I shouldn't do anything heavily physical, but aside from that, heat might help (a heating pad or a hot towel), and/or Tylenol or Advil. (He didn't prescribe anything. Truth be told, most of the time, it's a low-grade ache, not heavy-duty pain, and is easily tolerable.) I asked him about sleeping on that side, and he said it shouldn't be a problem. I mentioned camping this weekend, and he seemed to think it was in the realm of possibility, but I'm going to err on the side of caution and stay home and heal.

Thanks for the vibes/thoughts/well-wishes/support, people, it means and helps a lot.

Aloha,

Brad