Jambands.ca

Buy Nothing Day - tomorrow!

Large Marge

Greetings!

In the U.S., the day after Thanksgiving is traditionally the busiest shopping day of the year. The challenge put forth by Adbusters is, for just 24 hours, to close your wallet and don't spend a cent.

BND_banner_noshop_05.gif

Think you can do it? I tried last year and was rudely awaken to the fact that I rely quite heavily on daily purchases... by midnight I was like "thank goodness I can get something to eat!" Sad commentary on my fast-food nation life I guess, but great way to make me realize my over-consumptious habits (which I have since been taking baby-steps to try and remedy). Why not join me in the challenge this year?

Also, there's some great local stuff happening, including an AWESOME free celebration in Dundas Square starting at 7:30... if Critical Mass shows up, there should be close to 100 musicians and dancers!!!

[color:red]Bring your instruments!

Cheers Everyone... I hope you all enjoy the freedom of Buy Nothing Day :)

Margaret

November 25, 2005 - “Buy Nothing Day!†in Toronto

4:00 PM Zombie walk - All zombies, aliens, monster, animals and any other creatures please meet outside the Bay entrance of the Eaton center. If you want to master the Zen of shopping (by walking with complete awareness and as slowly as can be) please join up with the zombies and walk through the Eaton center, if you are not from the underworld, engage shoppers and explain that it is a day to stop shopping and explain the interconnection between our lifestyle and the catastrophic impact it has on a 80%+ of the worlds populations livelihood. Bring stickers, fact sheets/pamphlets, chalk, and poster boards. (lmvivid@hotmail.com)

5:00 PM Special Task Force Mission: Operation Stop Shopping - Meet at the Yorkville square (near the fountain) -Bay subway station. We will be peacefully jamming cars, stop signs, stores. We have extra signs and materials, if you have a camera, loudspeaker, or instruments bring them along. We will be walking through Yorkville, then working our way South on Yonge St. to the Eaton.

(lmvivid@hotmail.com)

6:00 PM Ze Klownenfuhrer will present a counter-protest at Yonge & Dundas, singing all ze best Kristmas Shopping Carolings. Come sing along mit ze other Kanadian Kapitalist Klowns and celebrate the first day of Merry Kristmas Shopping.

7:30 PM The New Kings perform at Dundas Square (www.thenewkings.ca)

8:00 PM The ReEvolution Day Arkestra join The New Kings in Dundas Square for a giant street dance. The Arkestra is essentially the New Kings with Samba Elegua (20 piece samba drum band, and Richard Underhill's Kensington Community Horns plus any other musicians of any skill level on any instrument who feel like joining in. Feel free and bring an instrument or any unique sound-invoking device and giver!

Please join in any or all of these celebrations, wear a wacky costume, help reveal the true meaning of advertising’s shallowness. Disrupt and create public space where ideas and solutions can manifest. Talk to everyone and listen to other’s thoughts on consumption and its many detrimental affects. Invite friends and family to take part and let’s celebrate a day free of shopping woes.

more info at: www.adbusters.org

What if I want to go to the Fat Cats gig tomorrow how do I get in without paying the cover?

Tim

maybe you can pre-pay tonight. tell them it's a religious thing :)

i try my damndest to Buy Nothing each year...while i'm struck by the futility of buying twice as much the day before, i've always sort of hoped that this would catch on in a big way. if the only vote we have is with our dollars, a whole day of people not buying a damn thing would get on the radar of big business. as far as that goes, i don't think i've ever seen Buy Nothing Day talked about in the Globe and Mail...

i was very pleased to hear the CBC hyping Buy Nothing. I think that they had Kapatalist Klowns in the studio with them, i tuned in to hear people singing a seriously modified version of the 12 days of christmas...

4:00 PM Zombie walk - All zombies, aliens, monster, animals and any other creatures please meet outside the Bay entrance of the Eaton center. If you want to master the Zen of shopping (by walking with complete awareness and as slowly as can be) please join up with the zombies and walk through the Eaton center, if you are not from the underworld, engage shoppers and explain that it is a day to stop shopping and explain the interconnection between our lifestyle and the catastrophic impact it has on a 80%+ of the worlds populations livelihood. Bring stickers, fact sheets/pamphlets, chalk, and poster boards. (lmvivid@hotmail.com)

I love how the edgy radicals pretend they don't contribute to our capitalist economy.

And Abusters are just a parasite on the industry they mock.

Sorry, but I am extra cynical today. :o

i try my damndest to Buy Nothing each year...while i'm struck by the futility of buying twice as much the day before, i've always sort of hoped that this would catch on in a big way. if the only vote we have is with our dollars, a whole day of people not buying a damn thing would get on the radar of big business. as far as that goes, i don't think i've ever seen Buy Nothing Day talked about in the Globe and Mail...

i was very pleased to hear the CBC hyping Buy Nothing. I think that they had Kapatalist Klowns in the studio with them, i tuned in to hear people singing a seriously modified version of the 12 days of christmas...

I try as well, and hope that this day does make some people more aware of how much we consume and related issues. I hope that it gets on the radar of big business, but also on the radar of working people who don't really think about what they consume and it's impact on the planet.

I also think that AdBusters has in a lot of ways become what it busts, but I still think that as an awareness campaign, this day has lots of potential.

Peace, Mark