Jambands.ca

(((( Good Vibes for TimmyB ))))

MarcO

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear Friends,

Thank you all for the ((((Good Vibes)))) and thoughts that you have sent my way these past few days.

Some of you already know, but for those of you who do not know I will tell you why my great friend MarcO started this thread, and Marc I wanted to state right away thank you for doing just that.

On Friday, June 16 at 6:30PM EST my mom, Diana Kay Batke passed away at St. Joesph's hospital in Hamilton Ontario surrounded by her family, she was 54 years old.

My mom as some know suffered from adult polycystic kidney disease and over the past twelve plus years had to have over twenty major surguries and go through dialysis for three to five days a week for around two-thirds of twelve plus years.

Thankfully for around four years, from 1999 to 2003 my mom had a transplant from a person who signed their organ donor card, giving my mom a better life for those few years and allowing her to last as long as she did.

I'm going to sound like Phil Lesh here but I urge each and everyone on here to sign their donor cards and talk to their family about that you have done such as to not have anyone within your family to stop you from saving the life of someone like my mother when your time to leave this earth comes.

I won't go into the grim details of what my mom went through these past couple weeks instead I'll speak on what my mom meant to me.

Through the disease, all the extended stays in the hospital to have surgery or have dialysis or to deal with infection after infection my mom always treated everyday of her life like a gift.

She was such a great mom doing all the motherly things a mom would do all the way up to the last day she spent at home before being admitted to the hospital never to return. She never burdened her two children, myself and my brother Steven with her pains and her doubts if she even ever had any. She was a woman of great faith in God and that faith helped her deal with her afflictions with dignity and strength.

Nurses and caregivers at the hospital would say to me from the beginning all the way to the last few days of her life that she was the best patient they were dealing with at that time and sometimes even the best patient they had ever dealt with period. The nurses would always say my mom made things easy for them as their patient, by being patient and kind even if she was in extreme pain.

Going though pictures of mom for the viewing, my family and I noticed that if a camera was pulled out and pointed towards my mom she would always give a smile even if she was ill or even on dialysis. She always smiled each and everyday even if there wasn't much to smile about. For my mom life was enough to crack a smile.

I have been blessed to be son of such an amazing human being. I only hope if I ever have children, which I hope to do someday, that I can be half as good to them as she was to me.

My mom always saw the good in people even if there was not very much good to see from my perspective. She was always there for me in my life, whether I was right or wrong. She most importantly taught me to do the right thing always in every situation in life.

The visitation will be at SMITH'S FUNERAL HOME, 1167 Guelph Line, (One Stoplight north of QEW), Burlington (905-632-3333) on Tuesday, June 20 from 3-5 and 7-9PM. Funeral Service will be held at PINELAND BAPTIST CHURCH 5100 New Street, Burlington on Wednesday, June 21, 2006 at 11AM. Interment Greenwood Cemetary. In memory of my mom Diana donations can be given to the Canadian Kidney Foundation.

Also on a personal note there is a Private Members Bill in Ontario Parliament that has been put forward to change the system of donating organs which is far more progressive and if it was in place years ago could have saved my mom from being taken at the relatively young age of 54.

Many European nations have this progressive system in place and instead of waiting several years for an organ to save your life and give those who need it a far greater quality of life the wait time is significantly less. This in turn would also save our public medicare system a large amount of money based on treatment from dialysis and what other complications come from not having a proper functioning kidney and/or liver or even other organs.

I urge all who agree with the above to email, write or even call their local MPP and tell them your feelings on it or just tell them to vote in favour of the Bill. If you have any questions just ask me.

If you can make it to the visitation and/or the funeral service that is great, but please no one go beyond what you can do. I know all of you love me and would give me your condolences in person if you can, but if you can't I will understand. Your ((((Good Vibes)))) were already more than enough, for me to know you all love me as I love all of you.

In the end though as my favorite American band the Byrds who took from Pete Seeger, who in turn got his inspiration from Ecclesiastes found in the Bible.

To everything (turn, turn, turn)

There is a season (turn, turn, turn)

And a time for every purpose, under heaven

A time to be born, a time to die

A time to plant, a time to reap

A time to kill, a time to heal

A time to laugh, a time to weep

A time to build up,a time to break down

A time to dance, a time to mourn

A time to cast away stones, a time to gather stones together

A time of love, a time of hate

A time of war, a time of peace

A time you may embrace, a time to refrain from embracing

A time to gain, a time to lose

A time to rend, a time to sew

A time to love, a time to hate

A time for peace, I swear its not too late

We all must die and there is purpose in that. I believe my mom served her purpose under Heaven as best as she knew how and one day I will see her again when my time comes. Now is a time to weap, but I'm sure it won't be long when I'm smiling again thinking of my mom and all the wonderful times we had together. As I stated before to my mom everyday was a gift and reason enough to smile.

God bless and peace be with all of you,

Timothy Eric Batke

Edited by Guest