Jambands.ca

QOTD 6/21/06 For the Phans

scottieking

Hey Pholks,

Remember when this used to be the Phish Sanctuary? Well, I'm on a major resurgence in my Phish listening so I'd like to throw a three parter out there.

1)How much Phish are you listening to these days?

2)Is it as much as you used to?

And finally

3)Do you feel (or are you a) younger pholks are picking up on Phish still?

My answers:

1)A ton. Back to a piece of a show a day. Must be summertime or something but I'm mainlining again.

2)For awhile there, I'd almost stopped. Perhaps it was too much new stuff, the IPOD, podcasts, and other distractions.

3)I've been playing it for my students in an attempt to help them understand why I love it so, but most just like when I play Waste or Dirt in my classroom on the guitar. A girl did tell me the other day she's hooked on SLave to the Traffic Light.

As for the younger heads, I'm outta touch. Maybe some more youthful skanks can enlighten me.

For fun, anyone want to recommend a killer Hood for me to hunt down (rarer, the better)

1. Not much. Weeks go by for me without listening to any. I think it's due to having access to loads of new music, and because a lot of my listening happens at the office, where I download shows from the Live Music Archive, which Phish is not a part of.

2. No, it's much less than I used to.

3. I have no idea.

Aloha,

Brad

1. I find I spend less quantity more quality time with the band than I did before. It was background music for my life for years (until hiatus), and I couldn't believe that it dropped off my radar for a while. 12.31.95 helped me get it back. Now I might listen to a set every two weeks, but its when I am travelling by myself so the nuances of the digital Phish age, and the volume of the stereo can help me really feel it.

2. Way way way less. Since hiatus I have been drifting further and further away from the Phab Phour (still the best lot shirt ever SK).

3. Good question, I was thinking about this while listening to Jam ON Sirius radio. While Phish sounds way better than the middle of the road granola funk they play all the time (see Railroad Earth), I am surprised by their relative small market share even on this station. I think tDB, DTB, Galactic etc. get played as much if not more. That tells me they are a bit of a relic already. Phish music had the frenzy to make me drool every show opportunity, but I am not sure if it has the beauty to withstand the tests of time (see Grateful Dead).

The best Hood bar none, though not rare, is 12.30.95. If anyone has this on cd, I have worn out the disc with Hood and need it replaced ;-)

Sean

1. hardly ever.. even though i did go through a brief resurgence a little while ago with 'billy breathes' and a few shows.

2. much, much, MUCH less than before.

3. i really have no idea either. i burnt my friends kids a couple of shows a while ago and they loved them so.. one started seeking the music out on his own accord. he's 11.

1. I listen to Phish everyday

2. The same as I used to.

3. Yes I do feel younger folks (like myself) are picking up on Phish. I sorta missed the boat with Phish (never got to see em, got into em late etc) but I still love Phish and if they ever got back together I would definately take some time off school and go on the road for a bunch of shows. Not only that, I know that each and every one of my friends would do the same thing. Not all of them are neseceraly (sp?) into the same music as I am, they just really enjoy Phish. As a counsellor for 12/13/14 year old kids the past few summers I can tell you first hand there is a good crop of heady music listeners (who love Phish but don't really know why yet) coming out of the woodwork.

1. I listen to Phish very little these days, but when I do, I fuckin' love it. Even with all the good tunes I've found, sometimes it hit the spot like nothing else will.

2. Not even close! Like Sean, my listening defintely dropped off post-hiatus. Come to think of it, I have heard very little of the post-hiatus live stuff.

3. I don't know. I hope so!

Hey Pholks,

Remember when this used to be the Phish Sanctuary? Well, I'm on a major resurgence in my Phish listening so I'd like to throw a three parter out there.

1)How much Phish are you listening to these days?

2)Is it as much as you used to?

And finally

3)Do you feel (or are you a) younger pholks are picking up on Phish still?

My answers:

1)A ton. Back to a piece of a show a day. Must be summertime or something but I'm mainlining again.

2)For awhile there, I'd almost stopped. Perhaps it was too much new stuff, the IPOD, podcasts, and other distractions.

3)I've been playing it for my students in an attempt to help them understand why I love it so, but most just like when I play Waste or Dirt in my classroom on the guitar. A girl did tell me the other day she's hooked on SLave to the Traffic Light.

As for the younger heads, I'm outta touch. Maybe some more youthful skanks can enlighten me.

For fun, anyone want to recommend a killer Hood for me to hunt down (rarer, the better)

1. I listen to *extremely* little Phish these days. I put them on from time to time and then take them off. I'd say so far in 2006 I have literally listened to two shows in their entirety. And that is just fine with me. I just get to wonder sometimes why I have these hundreds of discs on my shelves gathering dust.

2. I used to listen to them at least every other day.

3. It's hard for me to judge if kids are picking up on them or not. It must be harder to get into them because the option of the live experience really kept the flame going for a lot of us, myself included.

No I don't know they are "rare" Harry Hoods or not but two later-day versions no one ever talks about that are great are 12/3/99 Cincinnati and 7/25/03 Charlotte.

1. I'm listening to Phish 3-4 times a week, but only because of the "Gone Phishing" hour on Sirus is on about the same time we're in the kitchen cooking and need something to listen to. I'm digging it as much as I ever did and definitely find that Phish is leaps and bounds above most of the other bands getting air time on Sirius.

2. This is way less than I used to listen to.

3. I am also, sadly out of touch with the teens of today. But then again, I'm pretty much out of touch with what my friends and family are into these days. Between work and school, I'm utterly pathetic.

1) Almost none. (There is too much new music around by too many bands to devote more than 1% of my listening time to Phish.)

2) Far less than I listened to 10 or 15 years ago, but not a big difference over the last half-dozen years.

3) I don't really hang out with today's kids.

1) maybe once or twice a week I'll pop in a recently downloaded show from btetree (they've been uploading every show from each year; now they're on Project '90)

2) no way; back in the tape collecting dayz (94-the hiatus) I was hungry for any show I could get my hands on. Listening to them would only increase with the excitement of an upcoming show.

3) personally from a distance and online I've come across random newbie listeners so there is a contingent group of newbs out there; at first I somewhat felt sorry for them that they'd never get the chance to experience these songs in a live/concert setting, but if they're enjoying it, then that's all that matters! So, keep on rocking Afro Poppa...

1) I love all the soundboards on btetree that having been surfacing lately. I still love the boys and listen to them often.

2) I used to listen to them ALL THE TIME...so this has obviously changed.

3) I hope that the kids are listening to these guys, but I think with the current trends in music that this is not the case.

1. Soundboards more than studio for sure .

2.It swells at times , I think more then get into something else then return.

3.Young folks sadly , as a stereo type I would say less .The boys aren't playing ,so not there thing .On the other hand when I meet young musicians they seem to be aware and in to it.

Proabably 5 or 6 times a week maybe more... ok more... Its definitely still less than what i used to but i miss the songs ALOT! the kids are deffinitely still getting into Phish if Bonnaroo had any grounds for an argument... alot of young kids at Superjam getting down (even though that really wasnt Phish)

PoG, 70 Volt Charade doesnt count.

I go through waves. Currently, there is VERY little Phish getting airplay in my life, so it is obviously not even close to the days when I listened to Phish every single one of them. I dont think Phish is going to remain on the radar all that much. They'll be there, but their legacy is kinda taking a beating thanks to one man.

Check back with me in 20 years.

1) Very little... But over the last couple of weeks I've been picking it up a bit.

2) Waaaay less. They used to be a regular part of the rotation. Now they are just occasional.

I have been in a bit of a phishy mood lately. And I was thinking about tracking down a couple of hot shows (maybe from 97), that would help me remember what it was all about. Where does one get Phish soundboards from these days? Sounds like that btetree is a good place to start.

Proabably 5 or 6 times a week maybe more... ok more... Its definitely still less than what i used to but i miss the songs ALOT!

[color:red]BULLSHIT

Its at least 5 or 6 hours a day every and longer on your days off.

as for me

1.I dont, unless PoG turns it up too loud.

2. No.

3. They shouldnt bother.