Jambands.ca

What a morning...time to drink.

Esau.

Ok, normally, I refrain from bringing this stuff up on here, but, man, this time it was as much stress & chaos (mentally) I can take.(I think anyway)

Being on a disability I'm not working presently, so as a few folks here know, during the day for the last 6 months or so, I look after my 91 year old grandmother, who is insulin dependant, almost completely deaf and legally blind (she can still sorta see though). Well, this morning around 10am, I head up stairs to see if she needs anything, or any help. All was fine, no problems, we talked & I returned to what I was doing downstairs. So, at 11am, I go to the kitchen, make her cup of tea, protien shake & sandwhich for lunch, I decide to take it to her a bit early and thankfully I did.

When I got to her room, she was strecthed out on the bed, not moving, eyes wide open and false teeth fallen outta her mouth. I automatically, assume its another diabetic reaction which she occasionally has, so I grab a regular cola to help bring her sugar up quickly, but when I sit her up I realize she isn't breathing, at least not very much and keeps stopping. So, I call 911, my mom at work & start CPR. After 2 minutes (felt like ten) or so, I get her breathing again, sorta stable, she is still completley unresponsive, but breathing thankfully.

I keep talking & I tell her she needs to have some small sips of cola because she's had another reaction and we need to get her sugar up quick. I am able to get her to take a few small drinks and within a minute or so, she starts trying to speak, but due to the low blood sugar level, she isn't making any sense, but my expirence with this (this isn't the first time I've had to do this), I know she is slowly coming out of the reaction. Whew!

Thankfully the EMS was extremely prompt & were here with 5 minutes or so of me calling, they then took over. My Mom showed up a couple minutes after. Again, whew! After about an hour my grandmother was talking, telling the EMS guy how cute he was and whatnot, but due to her blood pressure being abnormally high (which is really weird) its decided that the best option is to get to the hospital, so off they went. Currently, she is still waiting for a doctor to see her, but she is stable. My fingers are crossed she can return home today as I know she hates being in the hospital & away from us.

I love my grandmother very much, but in all honesty, I'm not sure who long I can continue to do this. This was all just way too sureal for about an hour. My heart is still beating fast and I'm shaking like crazy, this is way too much for me to deal with this time.

Not quite sure what my point of sharing this here is, I guess just to get it off my chest... I have no herb currently & have reached my daily stress level tenfold, normally my reaction to this isn't to drink, but, today, I'm making the exception.

My God what a story. How lucky your grandmother is to have you around, not just in cases of emergency like today, but in the day to day things as well. You should be proud that you handled this so well. Although I'm trained in 1st aid and CPR I often wonder if I would have the wits about me and courage to successfuly use it.

Good on you Greg. Karma points are speeding in your direction.

My thoughts are with you Greg. Such a moment is enough to rattle anyone. Dealing with something that is in many ways beyond your control is extremely difficult (especially when a loved one is involved). Congratulations for keeping your cool. Not easy, and I'm sure you're probably experiencing some delayed anxiety.

Deep breathing can do wonders...

Thanks folks. Just finished talking with my ma, she had come home here to grab a change of clothes for my gran in case she is able to come home. She is still waiting for a doctor to check her out, but they finally got her into a normal hospital bed, instead of the gurney (sp?) they took her to the hospital on. She's doing alot better so things are looking up, so far.

Fortunatley, being an electrican, I'm required to know my first aid or at least CPR, although, my training is way out dated (I learned in 1992) I've never had to use it before today. I hope I never need to use it again, but, I've already called my union hall inquiring into when I can update it all.

Sadly (to me anyway), my grandmother is on a waiting list for a suitable home (god I hate the thought of it) but, its become more & more apparent that she is going require proper care, way beyond my or my mom's capabilities. Part of me doesn't want that, but part of me realizes its gotta happen.

Anyway, thanks again folks for listening/reading. I've opted to not get too heavy with the beer today and just have a couple, drop a perc, throw on some Dylan and chill.

greg, i'm really sorry to hear about this. i've met your grandma before and she seemed like quite a character -- the part about her telling the paramdedic how cute he was made me smile, and is a bright spot in this scary story (since it certainly shows she is already on the mend). glad she made it through okay, and thank heavens you were there (AND know CPR, AND, as ms.hux mentioned, had the wits to put it to use).

don't even feel weird about posting about this on here, something like this is bound to rattle anyone deep to the core, and i hope that 'talking' about it on here helped calm you down a bit. you know a lot of people on here in real life, and even the ones you don't can (and will) offer support to you as well.

i truly and sincerely hope she'll be released from the hospital soon, and i hope your nerves are calmed at least a bit.

It's amazing how instincts take over in a crisis situation. Take some time for yourself over the next day or two while your grandmother is in the hospital, it's hard not to get caregiver burnout especially after a crisis. I wish your grandmother a speedy recovery.

Well, I don't have all the details just yet, but all is looking good. I'm told she'll be home within the next two hours. Blood sugar is back to normal, blood pressure is normal again.

Now, that I'm alot more calmer, her lack of breathing was probally more due to how she was laying during the reaction then anything. The doctors seem to feel had I just sat her up right away then perhaps her breathing would have gone back to normal. But, in all honesty, when I was with her, I didn't hear breathing and it was gurgles after I gave her air, I didn't have to do the full "chest pump" CPR but just tilted her head back and delivered air. Either way, I was scared.

Anyway, again folks, thank you for the kind words & thoughts. I'm just glad she's coming home and things turned out to be not nearly as bad as it all seemed hours ago.