Jambands.ca

WOWZERS!: BURT NEILSON BAND: 10 Year Anniversary Show!

Jay Funk Dawg

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The absolute highlight for me was when Todd Gillies and Josh Williams from Fat Cats joined the band as guests. I was a puddle of joy when they played the Fatties song Rotan ... thank you so much to Burt for making this happen ... it sounded great! Todd also stayed on stage for BNB's Waves.

There was a great crowd at the Opera House for this show. At the start of set two, the whole lower dance floor was full of people, plus there were people at the back around the bar and some upstairs. I'm not sure what that means numbers wise, but it was awesome to see so many familiar faces from over the years come out to this show.

There was a HUGE number of guests, and I had to cut out early (at about 1:30) so I'm sure I missed some stuff as well. I'm sure many people are still celebrating, but the reports will eventually start trickling in.

Peace, Mark

Awesome good times. only got a half hour sleep before I had to get up at 5a.m. for work. Only one thing left to do now, get the hell off work and start partying again. Is 1017 making it a weekend event? If so, we're coming.

All day I've been singing " Don't do it, don't ya break my heaaaarrrt, pleeeease don't do it."

WOW, great time! Met some more skanks, dont remember much, as the beer flows freely. But after a show like that how can you not go to see BNB NYE!

on a side note...........I had jammed with scott e farmer a bit with contact, I had no idea what a great singer he was, kind of reminded me of van morisson.

THANKS BNB all I have to say is WHIPPING POST

Edited by Guest

Other guestage:

• A trumpet player (whose name I didn't get) in "Yellow Pants"
  • Mark Crissinger on guitar in "Whipping Post"
  • Peter Elkas on guitar and vocals in "Hungry Heart" (Bruce Springsteen cover)
  • A female vocalist (whose name I didn't get) in "Stop Dragging My Heart Around" (Stevie Nicks cover, with Mike doing the male vocal parts)

There was also an acoustic number, with Mike on acoustic guitar, and a guest mandolin player and guest banjo player.

They stopped playing (the second encore was The Band's "Don't Do It") at 2:45am. I listened to the recording on the way back to Ottawa, and it sounds pretty good. It'll take me a couple of days to get it uploaded, I think.

Aloha,

Brad

Wow.

Thanks so much for an amazing night.

We really couldn't have asked for more.

Here's the setlist.....

SET ONE

By the Door

These Days >

The Bench >

Yellow Pants (1)

Finer Than Fine Print (2)

Holes

Stop Draggin My Heart Around (3)

Full Tilt (4)

Hungry Heart (5)

Rotan (6)

Waves (7)

St Andrews

In the Belly

SET TWO

Distraction

Fresco Lopez >

Revolution Blues > (8)

Fresco Lopez

Stuck Inside (9)

Down with the Sound (10)

Glad Tidings (11)

Whipping Post (12)

Martian

Stop 28

E1

Acadian Driftwood (13)

Funkin Shoes (14)

E2

Don't Do It

(1) w/ Vince Spilchuk on trumpet

(2) Bodega song, w/ Andrew Rodriguez on guitar/lead vocals

(3) Steie Nicks & Tom Petty cover, with Serena Southam on lead vocals

(4) w/ Serena Southam on backing vocals and Vince Spilchuk on trumpet

(5) Bruce Springsteen cover, with Peter Elkas on lead vocals/guitar, Serena Southam on backing vocals, Robbie Grunwald on organ

(6) Fat Cats cover, with Todd Gillies on guitar/lead vocals, and Josh Williams on vocals/harmonica

(7) with Todd Gillies on guitar

(8) Neil Young cover

(9) with Danny Simmons on banjo and B Jay Nathans on mandolin

(10) with Shelby Kerr on backing vocals and Mark Crissinger on guitar

(11) Van Morrisson cover, with Scott Farmer on lead vocals and Peter Elkas on acoustic guitar

(12) Allman Brothers cover, with Mark Crissinger on lead vocals/screaming guitar

(13) The Band cover, with Matthew Barber, Shelby Kerr, Steve Murphy, Scott Farmer, Mark Crissinger, Todd Gillies on lead vocals, plus lots of people on stage... all the other performers and friends, and Danny Simmons on fiddle

(14) with Shelby Kerr on vocals, Robbie Grunwald on clavinet, Vince Spilchuk on trumpet

Wow... Just resurfacing now. Definitely one of the best nights I've had in a long, long time. Who says the "jamband scene" is stagnating?? I think not!! What a wicked little community we have... priceless.

Thanks to burt and all of their guests for putting on such a great show. Couldn't stop dancing. So many highlights it really is difficult to narrow them down. The collective result was epic indeed. It had been a real long time since I've heard Serena sing... If you closed your eyes you would almost think you were listening to Stevie herself!! Waves, Whipping post... my oh my the axes were swinging full force!!

Acadian Driftwood was such a fitting closer (pre-encore). Made me all warm and fuzzy... Jeff, way to hit those high notes!

I know Todd was really feeling the love that night... He felt so fortunate and grateful for a chance to be up on stage with the Burt boys and participate in their special night. Thanks again guys on behalf of both of us!!

And the after-party was the cherry of the night. Thanks to our awesome hosts. I just loved being in one home with all of you fine skanks... Rage on you lovely people!

I wish we could've stayed longer, but come 6:00am the old boy was ready to hit the hay. Anyhow, it probably did my body some good to get "some" sleep (however marginal)...

So when's the next big night? Do I hear a jambands FUNdraiser?