Jambands.ca

Sonic Orchard August 22,23,24,2008 Kimbercote Farm

allison

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well now that I've had a day to recoup I figured I'd post a bit more indepth.

I really can't say enough about the great eclectic mix of music on Saturday. I thoroughly enjoyed all of the bands that came out to play and Allison did a wicked job putting the whole thing together.

We couldn't attend Friday and we had to leave early Sunday morning (babysitter and what not) but I saw so much great music. We got there in time to catch Must Stash Hats set and they were great. They had a couple of special guests and I like these guys more and more every time I see them. I spent most of my time trying to record a bit of each band on my ZOOM H4 recorder as well as getting as much video as I could.

Some of my other personal highlights were: The Funky Truths set, The 20+ member drum troupe that played the main stage, Dave Lauzon's amazing sets in the Farmhouse and Chameleon Projects late night set as well.

It did rain for a bit that night but didn't damper the mood at all.

Thanks to Allison and everybody that played and came to the fest for making it such a great time. Hopefully I'll be able to get some of the recordings in order and online so I can share.

Thanks to everyone who came out for the festival...the music was amazing, the people were incredible, and I think most who attended..especially for the whole weekend... had a very unique and fantastic experience.

Absolute highlight for me was Dave's set..a new piece called Sonic Orchard, written in the spirit fo the festival...and so,so good. I spent most of Sunday fielding "who was that guy" comments from a pretty happily stunned crowd.

Jawbone, Bullmoose, Sun Parlour Players, Boys who Say No, Fembots and Psychotropical Orchestra also blew me away.

I had the best of intentions with it..and was totally ok with inputting a fairly crazy amount of money for someone in my position,not to mention almost a year of work.And it really truly acheived something really beautiful over the weekend for those attending.

Thanks again to everyone who came, and apologies to any getting caught in the backlash of difficulties.

Edited by Guest

Welcome to the world of Rock and Roll. The only thing to do now is evaluate all the negatives and positives of the festival and apply the results to next year. From what I have heard there was a very unique vibe to this festival that reminds me of what the Hillside Festival is now. But remember it only took them 25 years to get to that place. So good luck next time and stay positive.

I hope this all works out for you Allison. I was a great event you had. Too bad about the hiccups on Sat night.

There was a great article in yesterday's Owen Sound Times about it.

I hope you keep your head high - you should......good things happen to good people. It will all work out for you!

Honestly Allison, The only thing to do here is to have a fundraiser party for ya. I think we can at least recoup some of the costs...I'd love to help...Im sure we can figure something out. Who's with me?

I think a fundraiser is a great idea.

Sorry to read about this Allison.

I had an amazing time at the festival. It looked like I wasn't going to get to play at all when the rain hit, but I couldn't have been happier about how things worked out geting to play inside.

Its really a shame that things ended up not all working out to the positive, because this festival was so great. Great people, music and vibe. I really thought it was quite special.

Man, sorry to read about conflicting understandings regarding your permissions. It sounds like this is what the biggest problem was that affected the outcome. Is it safe to say that things would have worked out fine without the complaints/fines, or did that just add on to other unmitigated conditions?

I myself had very mixed reactions coming out of this festival. Upon arrival on Saturday I was really impressed with the setting and the vibe. The view was absolutely stunning, and the stage setup was really impressive. I could tell even at that stage that Allison certainly had a lot on her plate and was doing her best to try and ensure that things would run as smoothly as possible given the complaints that were already put forth by what seemed to me to be fairly unreasonable neighbours starting on the Friday night. It's really too bad that the venue you were dealing with Allison did not have more foresight to see that they were going to be a problem...

The bands throughout the day on Saturday were all new to me, so that was a treat to take in some new music. The place was very kid friendly, and therefore I was thrilled to take it all in with my son. The food that was served up to everyone in attendance was fantastic and hit the spot perfectly. That was a greatly appreciated offering.

The monsoon that hit just as we were trying to put Rowen to bed made things a little stressful for sure, but it eventually let up. I was then able to take in Lauzon's set from outside of the house (baby monitor in hand) so that helped put me back into the mood for music and dancing. (Nice finally getting to meet you officially Dave by the way...)

I was absolutely lovin' the Fatties set and overall vibe that was going down in the barn... (which was I think the second or third contingency plan by that point as recommended by one of the stage hands to minimize noise to appease the neighbours). The boys did an acoustic set and were really enthusiastic about playing full band acoustic as it had been some time. I was a little worried even at that time that Diesel Dog would have some difficulties getting their set in, as they were to close the night down and were hoping to play electric...

Anyways, it was definitely an unexpected drag when things got shut down just as things were getting fired up (and this was before midnight I believe). There was lots of confusion all around. The Fatties were definitely dissapointed to only get four songs in, especially given that they had some buddies who flew in from B.C to catch the show... and had been working on bringing new life to some old material that had been on the shelf for quite some time. But it was beyond anyone's control at that point (anyone who wanted the music to continue on anyways it seemed)...

I'm not entirely sure what all went down after that. We were busy watching over Rowen, and given that it was already past my bedtime, and the wind had been taken out of my sails a little I resorted to hitting the hay. From where I was sleeping I could hear DD playing on again and off again. I was liking what I could hear. Last I heard they had been given the go ahead to get things rolling again... not sure what transpired after that.

Anyways... I guess what I'm trying to say is that of course some of the bands are a little irritated to invest the time, energy and money to make it to a festival only to get shut down and not get paid. Having said that I fully appreciate and respect what Allison had put together. Your dedication was fully evident and to be admired. I feel terrible that things fell apart in so many ways. Luck was not on your side so it seemed. I can't help but feel (from my vantage point only I suppose) that without the neighbour issue things would have been an entirely different story. I personally don't see how the venue itself can't see their own responsibility in why things did not go well. To lay it all on your shoulders is pretty awful. I really hope that things work out and that you don't let this kind of thing discourage you. I wish you all the best in coming out of this as unscathed as possible!

Anyways... I guess what I'm trying to say is that of course some of the bands are a little irritated to invest the time, energy and money to make it to a festival only to get shut down and not get paid. Having said that I fully appreciate and respect what Allison had put together. Your dedication was fully evident and to be admired. I feel terrible that things fell apart in so many ways. Luck was not on your side so it seemed. I can't help but feel (from my vantage point only I suppose) that without the neighbour issue things would have been an entirely different story. I personally don't see how the venue itself can't see their own responsibility in why things did not go well. To lay it all on your shoulders is pretty awful. I really hope that things work out and that you don't let this kind of thing discourage you. I wish you all the best in coming out of this as unscathed as possible!

Its obvious that a lot of work went into the whole thing - but I can't help but wonder if some of the basics got missed.

e.g. "we're going to book bands to play starting after 11pm. Will the neighbours compain? We should drop off a case of beer and give them some warning, offer them free admission and/or a hotel somewhere if its going to be a problem.

Otherwise we shouldn't offer bands money to play. They probably don't want to go to the time and expense if they don't even get to play."

I'm no expert, but I'd bet that most of the bands weren't even getting paid the gas money it costs to get to Kimbercote and back. They play because they like it and they're good folks.

It also seems to have gone unmentioned that all that money got lost and this was still the MOST EXPENSIVE local festival ever. I've never paid that much to NOT see Fat Cats and Diesel Dog (well, I may have paid that much to make Diesel Doug go away - but not recently) but did so on the premise of a well run / good cause festival. My mistake. (and I'm not trying to be mean to anyone - I know I couldn't do any better)

Whats the saying? The road to hell is paved with good intentions...

Its obvious that a lot of work went into the whole thing - but I can't help but wonder if some of the basics got missed.

e.g. "we're going to book bands to play starting after 11pm. Will the neighbours compain? We should drop off a case of beer and give them some warning, offer them free admission and/or a hotel somewhere if its going to be a problem.

Otherwise we shouldn't offer bands money to play. They probably don't want to go to the time and expense if they don't even get to play."

I'm no expert, but I'd bet that most of the bands weren't even getting paid the gas money it costs to get to Kimbercote and back. They play because they like it and they're good folks.

It also seems to have gone unmentioned that all that money got lost and this was still the MOST EXPENSIVE local festival ever. I've never paid that much to NOT see Fat Cats and Diesel Dog (well, I may have paid that much to make Diesel Doug go away - but not recently) but did so on the premise of a well run / good cause festival. My mistake. (and I'm not trying to be mean to anyone - I know I couldn't do any better)

Whats the saying? The road to hell is paved with good intentions...

From what I understand, the neighbours were offered something like $900.00 to take a vacation that weekend but decided they wanted free tickets instead. Seems kind of stupid to refuse the buyout, take tickets and then bitch about it.

sorry about the negative vibes and money loss,how come the show was so much by the way,Grateful Fest $95,Blue Heron Festival $65 ,Rothbury Early tickets $180.Seems like that something is a miss here,Allison I hope this expeirence won't leave you jaded,you had wonderful ideas and hope they will become something cost effective in the future.