Jambands.ca

(((Levon Helm)))

Marcust99

A note posted on Helm’s website reads:

Dear Friends,

Levon is in the final stages of his battle with cancer. Please send your prayers and love to him as he makes his way through this part of his journey.

Thank you fans and music lovers who have made his life so filled with joy and celebration… he has loved nothing more than to play, to fill the room up with music, lay down the back beat, and make the people dance! He did it every time he took the stage…

We appreciate all the love and support and concern.

From his daughter Amy, and wife Sandy

I'm amazed that they've shared this at this stage. You normally see this stuff after someone's passed. Truly incredible to see the internet light up over twitter, facebook and other networks.

Great career and great music which he carried on.

Maybe he or they wanted him to see some of that reaction. He seemed to be fairly engaged on the net for an old boy. He's shared so much of himself, and has been actively playing right up til now. I suppose it may also have been odd not to share such big news... But yes, it reminds me of that uncomfortable stage of limbo of struggling with whether or how to mourn the loss of someone while they are still here, yet nevertheless slipping away. I obviously don't have a direct connection in this case. But I always found the limbo stage particularly challenging. Much love to him and all around him as they go through this part of the journey. Its so bittersweet to get the chance to say goodbye.

Levon Helm, Woodstock resident and drummer, the former leader of The Band, has died at age 71.

Helm died at 1:30 p.m. Thursday at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York.

"We lost Levon at 1:30 today surrounded by friends and family and his musicians have visited him," said Larry Campbell, Helm's longtime guitarist and band leader. "As sad as this was, it was very peaceful."

Campbell, who has played with everyone from Bob Dylan to BB King, said his greatest honor was not only helping lead Helm's band, but knowing him.

"What I'm most proud of is he called me his partner," Campbell said. "For me to arrive at a place like that with a great man like him is the ultimate."

Well...damn. It is somewhat comforting to know that the final stages of his struggle were seemingly short and hopefully as comfortable and comforting as possible. A major loss. And an incredible imprint.

We're all in the same boat ready to float off the edge of the world.... Life is a carnival folks...take another look.

Edited by Guest

RIP Levon. There is inspiration not only in his music but in the way that he lived his life, particularly seeing what he built in the last decade or so of his life. This is music that can always puts me in the place where I want to be. I feel privileged and grateful that I was able to attend a Midnight Ramble in January of this year, one of my favourite musical moments. It is sad news to absorb but also very easy to celebrate Mr. Levon Helm's life and work!

A friend just called me to let me know that Garth Hudson is going to be remembering Levon on CBC Q this morning, which is on the air right now.

Edited by Guest