Jambands.ca

OK, Dickwaving time! How many multiple shows ya seen?

The Chameleon

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw Phish more than 50 times, IIRC. Less than 60 though, I'm pretty sure; I had a head start, with my first show being in '93.

I saw the Grateful Dead about 15 times before Jerry died.

And I guess I've seen the Allmans about 10 times, but not sice Dickey left, so it's been a few years.

I've seen Big Sugar about 20 times. It used to be pretty easy - they'd come play The Corktown in Hamilton about every six weeks or so.

The New Deal, I've seen about 15 or so times... not counting the NYE show at The Warehouse where I only saw them for ten minutes.

Medeski Martin & Wood, maybe 7 or 8 times. Dave Matthews Band is over 10, but probably less then 15. Bela Fleck & The Flecktones, Bob Dylan and Neil Young (not together, of course) about 6 times.

I do have most of my ticket stubs, but they are not in anything even resembling an organized state (clearly, it's too much effort fo me to get up and go root through them for the exact totals!). Funny thing is, I don't get out to too many things outide of clubs these days. I must be getting old.

First concert ever? The Cure, with Love & Rockets and The Pixies at the CNE. Summer, 1989 or 1990.

I don't think Bouche has enough server space to hold TimmyB's response.

ad

Well said, ad! Has anybody seen more "big acts" than Timmy B.???

I know that I don't have nearly as many ticket stubs, or concert experiences, as many of you. But it isn't a contest to me, that's for sure. And I don't think that I'm much of a collector. Heck, I've even given away all of my vinyl. But for some reason, I do save ticket stubs. I've had many of the best times in my life at concerts, and I think that I save the stubs to help me trigger memories that make me smile and laugh and reflect and ponder and wonder.

Right now I'm staring at a piece of wood that a number of years ago I "hodge podge glued" a number of stubs to, all of them from the 1980's and 19990's. A few of my favourites from multiple shows are:

Probably my favourite two night run ever:

Peter Gabriel Maple Leaf Gardens Toronto Nov. 8, 1982

Peter Gabriel Shea's Theatre Buffalo Nov. 9, 1982

A signed photo and a number of ticket stubs from the reggae band Messanjah

A number of Grateful Dead ticket stubs ... I especially like the sparkly mail order ones

A few Ted Nugent ticket stubs ... ok, I admit that he's an egotistical racist "red-neck" in a lot of ways, but it blew my mind when he blew up a Japanese guitar with a bow and arrow at Lulu's the first time I saw him.

All of my more recent stubs are stored in my dresser ... at some point when I get some time I hope to create another collage of stubs.

Time to get back to work! Man oh man it's easy to drift into concert la la land ...

Peace, Mark

Right now I'm staring at a piece of wood that a number of years ago I "hodge podge glued" a number of stubs to, all of them from the 1980's and 19990's. A few of my favourites from multiple shows are:

Probably my favourite two night run ever:

Peter Gabriel Maple Leaf Gardens Toronto Nov. 8, 1982

Peter Gabriel Shea's Theatre Buffalo Nov. 9, 1982

A signed photo and a number of ticket stubs from the reggae band Messanjah

A number of Grateful Dead ticket stubs ... I especially like the sparkly mail order ones...

Peace, Mark

niffermouse made me a frame with a picture taken with my favourite freaks and surrounded it with many many concert stubs. it was sitting behind the dorr in my office, this thread got me motivated to dig it out and have a look at it.

lots of grateful dead, a caoule of band shows, dr john, jerry, cockburn....a lot of the grateful dead stubs look as though they spent an evening in a stoner's pocket :)

i started seeing shows when i was 17.

the first was a dave matthews band concert.

i have saved every single stub since..i have about 100...need to recount.

anyways, saving stubs is key. for all you non savers....there are so many shows that will be lost in your memory over time. heck, i look back at stubs from last year and remember.

its like a book mark in your past. i look at a stub and remember the exact venue, experience, etc...thats 100+ memories to trigger...lots of memories that would have been lost forever.

now...on the subject of this post:

moe. 30+

phish 13

dave matthews 7

bela fleck 10+

mmw 5

those are the 3 bands i've seen the most.....moe. will be the band i continue to see the most aswell..

mangler= douche.

so, i was heading north on trafalgar in oakville today, and we got behind a truck, and it had truck testicles. y'ever see these things? fake testicles that hang down below the truck? hilarious. and mesmerizing. swaying back and forth, side to side...

anyways, i saw KISS twice. post reunion.

Sadly I lost all of my 1990 to 1998 stubs except for about 3 when I moved overseas. I started collecting them again, but it's not the same.

I don't see saving the stubs as "keeping score", more a matter or reminiscing.

My favorite run of shows I caught would have to be Japan 2000 Phish, but Fall '97 holds a special place for me as well, as I met a bunch of folk from this community on that run (not to mention the quality of the music!): Howler, Sloth, Wierdness, etc.

I have the next week and a half off of work, so I'll have to get back to you. That being said it might take me until Christmas to figure it out. But since I have every ticket stub, minus a handful, and I have hundreds of notepads I should be able to give a pretty accurate estimate.

Be warned I never saw Jerry Garcia, I know I'm an idiot. So when my list is done and posted don't be looking around for that because you're not going to find Jerry there :(

Tim

Edited by Guest

I'm curious if there's a female equivalent to "dick-waving"?

How 'bout "Snatch Swinging" or "Pussy Parading".

Either way your welcome to flaunt your tour prowess. Post the shows you've seen. The female perspective is appriciated.

sorry I can't do that either - I'm busy pussy parading around for other purposes.

AHAHAHAhAA...

off the top of my head, let's say:

Phish - 30 times exactly

Grateful Dead (w/ Garcia) - approx 12 times

Dave Matthews Band - 14 times

Bruce Cockburn - 8 or 9 times maybe

Blue Rodeo - maybe about 12 times

The New Deal - approx 30 times

Gordon Lightfoot - 6 or 7 times

tons of others about 1 to 4 times each. I have a photo box crammed with ticket stubs but many of them, particularly the earlier ones, have long been lost or destroyed.

my first show was Pink Floyd at the CNE, September 1987. that was cool!

edit: and one of the coolest shows I saw was U2 in Glasgow, Scotland on the 1993 ZooTV tour, with the Stereo MC's opening! "I'm gonna get connected" indeed!

Edited by Guest
b/c I remembered I've seen U2 4 times and they are so good live!

here's his post, for easier reference.

Phish (Including side projects 49 times. Trey Anastasio Band 7 times, Oysterhead 2 times, Dave Matthews & Friends 2 times, Vida Blue 2 times, Leo Kottke & Mike Gordon once, The Benevento/Russo Duo once and Jazz Mandolin Project once)

Neil Young (33 times)

Bob Dylan (22 times)

Blue Rodeo (Including side projects 22 times. Blue Rodeo 12 times, Jim Cuddy Band 3 times, Jim Cuddy solo once, Greg Keelor Band once, Greg Keelor with the Sadies once, Greg Keelor in the Unintended once, Bob Egan with Bazil Donovan once and the Royal Crowns with James Gray once)

Warren Haynes (18 times. Allman Brothers Band 4 times, Gov't Mule 11 times, solo once, Phil Lesh & Friends once and The Dead once)

Wilco (Including side projects 17 times. Wilco 13 times, Golden Smog twice, Jeff Tweedy solo once and the Autumn Defence once)

Black Crowes (Including side projects 15 times. Black Crowes 6 times, Chris Robinson with Paul Stacey once, Chris Robinson New Earth Mud once, Hookah Brown [Rich Robinson project] once, Rich Robinson once, Chris Stills [Marc Ford] three times, Blue Floyd [Marc Ford] and Stereophonic [steve Gorman] twice)

The Byrds (Byrds related, I wasn't alive when they were together, 15 times. David Crosby 13 times, Roger McGuinn once and Chris Hillman & Herb Pederson once)

C,S,N&sometimesY (13 times. Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young 9 times, CSN three times and David Crosby once)

Big Sugar (Including side projects 13 times. Big Sugar 8 times and Gordie Johnson 5 times)

Genesis (Including side projects 12 times. Genesis once, Phil Collins 7 times, Peter Gabriel 3 times)

Dave Matthews (11 times. Dave Matthews Band 6 times, Dave Matthews solo 3 times and Dave Matthews and Friends twice)

The Dead (Including side projects 10 times. The Dead three times, The Other Ones once, Phil Lesh & Friends three times (once with Bob Weir), Bob Weir & Ratdog twice and Mickey Hart with Planet Drum once)

moe. (10 times)

Rush (Including side projects 9 times. Rush 6 times and Alex Lifeson with the Dexters three times)

The Rolling Stones (Including side projects 9 times. The Rolling Stones 7 times, Bill Wyman once and Mick Taylor once)

Pearl Jam (Including side projects 9 times. Pearl Jam 7 times, Mike McCready with Pete Droge as Setbreak once and Jeff Ament in Three Fish once)

Led Zeppelin (Zep related 8 times. Page & Plant 4 times, Robert Plant twice and John Paul Jones twice)

The Jayhawks (Including side projects 10 times. The Jayhawks 6 times, Golden Smog twice [Gary Louris, Marc Perlman and Kraig Johnson] , Victoria Williams [Mark Olson] and Mark Olson & Gary Louris once)

Barenaked Ladies (Including side projects 9 times. Never saw them headline always a benefit or opening spot. BNL 7 times, Steven Page once and Kevin Hearn once)

Bruce Cockburn (8 times)

Yes (8 times)

Blues Traveler (Including side projects 8 times. Blues Traveler 7 times and John Popper once)

Sheryl Crow (8 times. Only have seen her headline one show the rest was her apart of a festival or opening for someone)

Jimmy Herring (8 times. Jazz is Dead once, Phil Lesh & Friends 3 times, The Allman Brothers Band once and the Dead 3 times)

Eric Clapton (7 times)

Bruce Springsteen (7 times. Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band 5 times, '92 band once and solo once)

Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers (7 times)

Eagles (Including side projects 7 times. Eagles soon to be 3 times, Don Henley twice, the James Gang [Joe Walsh] and Bernie Leadon once)

The Band (Including side projects 7 times. The Band once, Robie Robertson twice, Levon Helm & the Barn Burners twice, Levon Helm and Garth Hudson at a Ronnie Hawkins tribute concert and Garth Hudson at a Wilco show)

Willie Nelson (7 times)

John Mellencamp (7 times)

Lucinda Williams (7 times)

Ben Harper (7 times)

King Crimson (Including side projects 7 times. Crimson 3 times, Robert Fripp once and Peter Gabriel [Tony Levin] 3 times)

Van Morrison (6 times)

The Who (Including side projects 6 times. The Who 5 times, John Entwistle Band once)

B.B. King (6 times)

Sting (Soon to be 6 times)

Emmylou Harris (6 times)

R.E.M. (6 times)

The Beach Boys (Including side projects 6 times. The Beach Boys 3 times and Brian Wilson 3 times)

The Guess Who (Including side projects 6 times. The Guess Who 3 times and Randy Bachman Band 3 times)

Steve Earle (Soon to be 6 times)

Les Clapool (6 times. Primus twice, Oysterhead twice and Col Les Clapool's Frog Brigade twice)

Tom Cochrane (6 times)

The Tragically Hip (Including side projects 6 times. As a Canadian it's almost impossible not to see this band at least once. The Hip 5 times and Gord Downie once)

The Allman Brothers Band (5 times)

Derek Trucks (5 times. The Derek Trucks Band 3 times and the Allman Brothers Band twice)

Beck (5 times)

Bruce Hornsby (5 times)

Calexico (Including side projects 5 times. Calexico 4 times and Giant Sand once)

Stone Temple Pilots (Including side projects 5 times. STP 3 times, Talk Show once and Velvet Revolver once)

Sarah McLachlan (5 times)

The Del McCoury Band (5 times)

The Flaming Lips (4 times)

Los Lobos (Including side projects 4 times. Los Lobos 3 times and the Latin Playboys once)

Red Hot Chilli Peppers (4 times)

The Pretenders (4 times)

Widespread Panic (4 times)

Susan Tedeschi (4 times)

Kim Mitchell (4 times. solo 3 times and Max Webster once)

Joni Mitchell (3 times)

David Bowie (3 times)

Jackson Browne (3 times)

Jeff Beck (3 times)

Buddy Guy (3 times)

Gordon Lightfoot (3 times)

Al Green (3 times)

Robert Cray (3 times)

Keb Mo (3 times)

Slash (3 times. Guns N' Roses once, with Boz Scaggs once and Velvet Revolver once)

Van Halen (3 times. Twice with Sammy Hagar and once with Gary Cherone)

Lenny Kravitz (3 times)

Aerosmith (3 times)

Paul Rodgers (3 times)

Ziggy Marley (3 times)

Natalie Merchant (3 times)

The Wallflowers (3 times)

Medeski, Martin & Wood (3 times)

Radiohead (3 times)

Daniel Lanois (3 times)

U2 (Only 3 times, which I hope to remedy in 2005!)

Paul McCartney (once)

Roger Waters (once)

James Taylor (once)

The Beta Band (once)

Elton John (once)

Billy Joel (once)

Steve Winwood (twice)

Rod Stewart (once)

Metallica (twice)

Mark Knopfler (once)

David Byrne (twice)

Ringo Starr (once)

Jay Farrar (once)

J.J. Cale (once)

Poco (once)

America (once)

Bobby "Blue" Bland (once)

Johnny Cash (once and only once. May he RIP)

John Lee Hooker (once and only once. May he RIP)

Johnny Copeland (once and only once. May he RIP)

Junior Wells (once and only once. May he RIP)

James Brown (twice)

Aretha Franklin (once)

Jerry Lee Lewis (once)

Lou Reed (twice)

Victoria Williams (once)

Sam Moore (once)

Iggy Pop (once)

George Clinton & the P-Funk Allstars (twice)

Son Seals (once and only once. May he RIP)

Odetta (once)

Richie Havens (twice)

Dr. John (twice)

Matthew Sweet (twice)

Gomez (twice)

Air (once)

PJ Harvey (once)

No Doubt (once)

The White Stripes (once)

Soundgarden (once)

Blind Boys of Alabama (once)

Patti Smith (once)

Dotti Peoples (once)

Sam Roberts (once)

AC/DC (twice)

Chicago (once)

Fleetwood Mac (once)

Steve Miller Band (once)

Guns N' Roses (once)

Brian May (once)

Arc Angels (once)

Kenny Wayne Shepherd (three times)

Oasis (once)

Jewel (once)

Green Day (twice)

Tom Waits (twice)

Bonnie Raitt (once)

Jimmie Vaughan (once)

Tower of Power (once)

The Fugees (once)

Busta Rhymes (once)

Phil Keaggy (once)

Sloan (once)

Isley Brothers (once)

String Cheese Incident (once)

My Morning Jacket (once)

Drive By Truckers (twice)

Kark Denson (once)

The Benevento/Russo Duo (three times)

North Mississippi Allstars (twice)

Bela Fleck and the Flectones (twice)

Santana (twice)

The Big Wu (once)

Umphrey's McGee (twice)

Pinetop 7 (once)

The Frames (once)

Joseph Arthur (twice)

Ween (twice)

Ben Folds Five (once)

Corey Harris (once)

Billy Bragg (once)

Drums & Tuba (twice)

Jethro Tull (twice)

Emerson Lake & Palmer (once)

Guster (twice)

Gillian Welch (once)

Burning Spear (once)

The Wailers (once)

Leftover Salmon (once)

The Sadies (five times)

Tenacious D (once)

Dream Theater (three times)

Supertramp (once)

The Doobie Brothers (once)

Billy Corgan and James Iha (twice)

The Eels (twice)

Tegan and Sara (five times)

dido (once)

Annie Lennox (once)

Brother Cane (four times)

Rik Emmett (once)

Pete Droge (four times)

The Slip (four times)

Ricky Skaggs (once)

Jack Johnson (twice)

Hot Tuna (three times)

King's X (twice)

Kiss (once)

Roxy Music (twice)

Afro Celt Sound System (once)

Jerry Cantrell (once)

Counting Crows (once)

Paul Simon (twice. Once with Simon & Garfunkel)

The Everly Brothers (once)

Johnny Winter (once)

bear in mind this post is ten months old. that boy's a freak i tell ya!

you should see his apartment. My god. :o

Edited by Guest
just look at the size of that there dick Timmy's waving! look out!