Jambands.ca

Constructive Criticism

MarcO

Here’s five pieces of “constructive criticism†dedicated to every band I’ve suffered through over the past ten+ years of banging around this “jamâ€band sceneâ€. Consider this to be a composite of some of the discussions I've had with several of my close friends who also have insights into this world. This should be fun.

1. Have a Heart - Write Better Songs.

This is Problem #1 for sure. Go deep inside yourself and make a true connection with your audience. No more songs about cars, fantasy lands, getting high in a park or some stupid dance move you invented, unless you are 18 years old and this is your first time out in a band, then it’s ok. Explore the dark side a little. Write a ballad or ten. Build up a body of songs that reveal yourself to your audience, it’s the brave and adult thing to do. Sing with conviction about some universal truths: love, basically, in all its forms. Play less and sing more. Try to sing better, find your human voice. The world does not need another guitar solo or an exercise in justifying some tech-head’s recent investment for 10 minutes at a go. I can’t express how many talented musicians I have paid to see – out of genuine support and respect – that are weighed down with terrible material. The most psychedelic thing a “jamâ€band band can do is to masterfully mix musical explorations with a sense of humanity. See: the Grateful Dead, The Slip, etc.

2. Longer and More Complicated Does Not Equal Better - Don’t Overplay.

Musical theory is fun isn’t it? Not for everyone it isn’t. While it is an impressive way to address Problem #1 it sure makes for some monotonous and tiring listening. The best way to avoid this is to play less. Calm down, take a breath. Be tasteful. Lay back on that ferocious 11/8 groove you’ve been beating to death and let a few notes say what a thousand can’t. That hot new song, er sorry, piece you’re writing would be a lot better if you cut out the extended complicated intro, took out the jarring middle section which was just a leftover piece of half-baked academia you just can’t live without because you’re so impressed with yourself, and maybe rewrite the tune in 4/4 time. You know how John Scofield can melt your brains with his endless imagination and a refreshed approach? He can do that because he knows what makes a GOOD SONG, be it the Beatles, Bob Dylan, Ray Charles or the Stones. Miles knew that too and Garcia sure learned how to cut out the dross and just leave behind the juice. It’s great that you are expressing yourself so freely but personally I’m always more inclined to hang with quiet people who pick their words carefully than people who just talk and talk and talk and talk and talk and talk and talk and talk and talk and talk and talk and talk and talk and talk and talk and talk and talk and talk and talk and talk and talk and talk and talk and talk and talk, yeah people like MarcO when he’s online.

3. Just Because Your Audience Is Kinda Flaky Doesn’t Mean You Have To Be.

It’s ok to not give your audience what they want. You’re not just in it for the money are you? Not just trying to do what it takes to get the kids through the door and get some gas in the tour van right? Of course not. You’re an artist. It is empirically apparent to me that an evening of “electro-funk-organic-jazz-jam-groove†will get those peeps moving and grooving but they’re smart: you’re just not reminding them of it, so they forget easily because they’re often impaired. But man, throw them a real curveball, stay a few steps ahead of your audience and they will thank you later, once they’re interested in you again. Also, as regards curveballs: sheer novelty doesn’t do much here so return that sitar and didg to the music store, white boy.

4. You’re Young, Talented, Handsome and On The Road!!!

Hey there hot stuff, lookit you there, rockin out with your big balls and your mad skills. OWWW! The young ladies of (insert BC lodge town here) are melting in their Birks and the dudes, well the dudes know a player when they see one. Except that right now, you and your band look like you’ve just awoken from a three week crystal meth binge. Didn’t your mother tell you to look your best when you present yourself? Hell, look at NewRider! Dude looks like Tony Little these days, all trim and neat and full of style. Except he’s in the audience. Too much style is pretentious. A little style is intriguing. Ever notice how Page McConnell wore a nice buttoned down shirt for the better part of 20 years on the road?

5. Pick Your Covers Carefully If You Want To Be Taken Seriously

The best covers are the ones that your audience doesn’t even likely know, to give them a song that you have made your own and that inspires your audience to learn about it. Taking into consideration the fact that half of your audience probably already knows “Shakedown Street†or “Boogie On Reggae Womanâ€, wouldn’t it be more interesting to give them something fresh to investigate? “Ironic†covers are tiresome too, so please spare us your version of “Ice Ice Baby†thank you.

-------------

And no, I’m not forming a band anytime soon to prove I can do any better. That’s not the point. I’m in the audience and this is how I see things, and also represents similar views that I know I share with others. But your mileage will obviously vary and I respect that. In the end, no matter how much I am not into a band, I’m almost always digging the audience and being part of it. So, in all sincerity, thank you to all the musicians out there for doing what you do and bringing us together. Keep on keepin on.

Edited by Guest
edit: meant to mention Aaron, I spaced

How 'bout have some fun. The fact is that most Canadian Jambands are not going to make 100% of their living by being a Canadian Jamband. Therefore if you're in the catagory of musicians that have real jobs and are lucky enough to hit the road and/or at least play some clubs where people come out to dance and enjoy, do what you like. If there's people there and there dancing all night, you must be doing something right.

Enjoy the music!!!

Sometimes I want to hear Shakedown. I'm way the hell out here in Nanaimo and almost no bands stop here. The local faire at the moment consists of bands who play Bee Gees and Lynard Skynard covers and hard core punk and thrash metal bands. You have no idea how I crave to hear a crappy version of Franklin's Tower. Y'all are just spoilled from having too much access to too much live music. You go see decenct bands so often that if they aren't GREAT then there is a big disappointment. If a band that played music that I enjoyed stopped here I definitly wouldn't complain about the set list, I'd just be happy to see/hear some decent live music.

Sorry for ranting.

How 'bout have some fun. The fact is that most Canadian Jambands are not going to make 100% of their living by being a Canadian Jamband. Therefore if you're in the catagory of musicians that have real jobs and are lucky enough to hit the road and/or at least play some clubs where people come out to dance and enjoy, do what you like. If there's people there and there dancing all night, you must be doing something right.

Enjoy the music!!!

that's the truth.

I also agree with what p.p and djmelbatoast have to say.

There is totally a place for bands that play songs people want hear. Many times I've gone out to see a band play covers, dance a little, hung out with some people, usually that I haven't seen in a while, and just have a general good time.

I'm glad that those bands are out there having fun and playing live music.

I think a lot of this sentiment come from the fact that there is a little bit of a void in our music scene right now and people jonesing.

Ditto. I mean, we're in a town here of, what is it, 5000 people or so, and if I hear anything even coming from a passing car stereo that smacks of Jerry, say, my heart skips a beat. Not like that's yet happened, of course.

And, of course, Ottawa, where there have no doubt been played entirely too many renditions of Fire, Franklin's, Shakedown, etc. etc., is only 40 minutes away. Trick is, I'd probably have to get myself into a compromising state of inebriation to really enjoy those should they befall, which kinda spoils the car ride home.

haha i feel every smalltowner's pain out there. most of my friends here are stuck in the 'creed' phase and if by chance they do break out of that they move on to the likes of fifty cent or in the best, kanye west. they talk about the exciting purchase of madonna's new album and moan and complain everytime they get in my car and have to listen to my music. it's actually a sore spot for me. i find myself instantaneously attracted to anyone in this area who remotely even lends an ear to elvis. it's bad. i slowly try to introduce music to them that i consider far more listener friendly than say, gwen stefani, but man is it ever a struggle. i find myself more often than not having to give song for song, tune for tune.

so now, if any of you ever happen to pull into lovely blenheim, ontario on a friday night, i'd offer you up the musical stylings that the cadillac hotel has to offer. live bands every weekend that offer up southern rock and some good old country tunes. that's what i have to look forward to.

luckily for me, i'm quite accustomed to drinking heavily in social circumstances so under any given circumstance (with few exceptions) i can get my groove on to any rendition of shakedown street, whether mind-blowing or not.

guess that's why they say smalltown girls are easy :)

Ok now I feel a little spoiled with the great venues close at hand here in K-town. Places like the Still for blues on a wed The Boathouse just about any other night, The Starlight for an occasional new slant on something old and of course The Lanc anytime Tonin puts his mind to work for us all...man i just can't say enough about it...and then some one says lets go to the Hammer?

Thanks for the thoughtful post, MarcO.

MarcO for Music Critic!

Like many of us, I enjoy a whole range of music, for a bunch of reasons. But MarcO's post, particularly suggestion #1., summarizes why bands such as Fat Cats and Diesel Dog appeal to me so much. I love it when a band can get my body moving, my head spinning, and my emotions tingling all at once.

Having said that, musicians should play what they want to play, for the reasons that they want to play for. In my opinion, the best music, whatever the style, is played by musicians that are totally into it. For example, I've had my body moving, head spinning and emotions tingling many a time at a nero show, and they rarely sang any words. If you can transfer the joy, excitement, energy and emotion that you have when playing music to other people, it has a solid chance of being enjoyed. And that applies to over-played cover songs, complex instrumental music, jamming, etc. Don't play what you think everyone wants you to play, play what you love to play and what you are feeling from within.

My two cents ...

Peace, Mark

1. Have a Heart - Write Better Songs.

This is Problem #1 for sure. Go deep inside yourself and make a true connection with your audience. No more songs about cars, fantasy lands, getting high in a park or some stupid dance move you invented, unless you are 18 years old and this is your first time out in a band, then it’s ok. Explore the dark side a little. Write a ballad or ten. Build up a body of songs that reveal yourself to your audience, it’s the brave and adult thing to do. Sing with conviction about some universal truths: love, basically, in all its forms. Play less and sing more. Try to sing better, find your human voice. The world does not need another guitar solo or an exercise in justifying some tech-head’s recent investment for 10 minutes at a go. I can’t express how many talented musicians I have paid to see – out of genuine support and respect – that are weighed down with terrible material. The most psychedelic thing a “jamâ€band band can do is to masterfully mix musical explorations with a sense of humanity. See: the Grateful Dead, The Slip, etc.

While I don't disagree with this point, I wonder what bands that are doing all-instrumental material should take from it. The only thing I can think of is to write material with identifiable (and enjoyable) "hooks", and with proper (and related) sections (even the classic 32-bar AABA kind of thing).

Aloha,

Brad

Tougher skin - absolutely. I've been trying to work that one out for an awful long time. I just got back right now from playing for my daughter's kindergarten class. Now there's a tough crowd ;). How many adult audiences go to the effort of figuring out how to sing along with a song the first time they hear it?

There may well be something like developing too thick a skin, if it means you're oblivious to the reactions of everyone in the room - I mean, there is the communicative element in live performance that should never be eclipsed. I don't know exactly why I've got all these Willie Nelson quotes rattling around in my head, but one comes to mind here -

A long time ago when I walked onto a stage to do a show, I would search the room with my eyes. I was looking for someone who was looking at me, who appeared to be interested in learning what I was doing in front of a microphone with a guitar in my hands. Once I found that friendly face, I would sing to that person all night long.