Jambands.ca

favourite beer lately?

SolarGarlic

mrrp!

So what are your favourite beers LATELY??

We've been trying Belgium beers at work the last few days for an upcomming beer and cheese workshop we are putting on next month. So far, the Corsendonk beers have been outstanding!! Ive had the Brown and Pale Ales....damn!! Im so impressed with these that I had to share and start a thread about them.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6363.jpg

So much flavour.

Seconded. There's a grocery on St. Laurent in Montreal, somewhere between Le Swimming and Schwarz's, that I often shop at when I'm staying in Montreal for shows, and one night, I picked up a bottle or two of this stuff, mostly because the label says it's "Spicy Buckwheat Beer", and it is: spicy in the sense of sharp, rich, flavour, not heat, and the buckwheat adds in other flavours you don't get from other beers. This is one of the beers that makes me hate the beer laws in Ontario, because it makes it so hard for breweries in other provinces to get there beers sold here. (I heard from a guy at Unibroue that it was easier [and cheaper] to get their beers into Vermont than it was to get them into Ontario.)

Aloha,

Brad

Caledonian 80 shilling - one of the best.

I don't know what I'm drinking these days, all I know is that I'm counting down the days until the Manx starts serving Creemore urbock on tap again. That's usually November. And I know this because I'm an alcoholic.

Another one I like a lot is Sgt. Major's India Pale Ale from Scotch Irish Brewing (which is in Carleton Place, IIRC).

This, to me, is about as close as I've had a Canadian IPA get to a British or American IPA: it's sharp, hoppy as heck*, and has a good malt flavour. It's available in six-packs at the LCBO at Rideau and King Edward here in Ottawa, and I've also had it on draft once at The Black Tomato in the courtyward in the Byward Market.

Aloha,

Brad

* While I like Alexander Keith's India Pale Ale as an OK pitcher beer, it in no way comes close to what the "India Pale Ale" style of beer is supposed to be.

I've had the Session (which is usually on tap at The Black Tomato, except for one time when they had the SM IPA in its place), but no more than a pint or two (I like it a lot, it's just that when I've had it, I wasn't drinking much), so I wonder what went wrong. Being a "session" ale, it's designed to be consumed over a long drinking session.

Aloha,

Brad

man you guys are beer snobs, or dorks i can't pick

There's a difference between a snob and being discriminating. I'm a discriminating beer drinker: I've tried a lot of different beers (and different styles of beer), know what the terms are, know what I like and what I don't, and what's appropriate to drink under what circumstances. (For example, when I'm at Mavericks, I usually drink Labatt's 50, because that situation is more about quantity of beer than quality of beer, and 50 is a decent tasting beer that's about the cheapest one at the bar. When I drink beer at home, I have maybe one of a really good micro beer, as I want to enjoy the taste it provides, as I do with wine, and most mass-market beer just doesn't have enough taste to justify the cost [monetary and caloric].)

Aloha,

Brad