Go Jays Go!! Fan Forum '09

Cully

• Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cito: How ya feeling Doc.

Doc: I feel good, feel strong.

End of conversation. If the best pitcher in the league, who is known for having the most stringent routine of practice and preparation says he's good to go, you let him. He's earned it.

Right. And he would have said "I've thrown too many pitches" if thats how he felt right?

Atheletes don't pull themselves from games.

Sure, give Doc a little more lee-way. Thats called 120 pitches.

He is the best in the game. The playoff chances are zero without him.

Can't think of how to incorporate this so, what do Litche, Marcum, McGowan, Jansen, Ryan, Accardo and I'm sure there are more I'm forgetting have in common?

They've all blown their arms out playing for the Jays in the past 3 years.

All I'm saying is don't add Doc. It wasn't a no hitter. It wasn't a shut out. It was a lot of pitches.

I hope you're all right. I'm sure that the whole 100 pitch count thing is just made up. None of these teams that try and stick to it and have millions and millions and millions of dollars invested in their pitcher's arms would have done the research.

100 pitches is the standard. Sure you give a workhorse more, by 38% more? Thats too much. Especially on a team that is getting a reputation for injured pitchers...

It catches up eventaully.

I hope you're all right. I'm sure that the whole 100 pitch count thing is just made up. None of these teams that try and stick to it and have millions and millions and millions of dollars invested in their pitcher's arms would have done the research.

100 pitches is the standard. Sure you give a workhorse more, by 38% more? Thats too much. Especially on a team that is getting a reputation for injured pitchers...

Pitch counts are a concern for young pitchers, pitchers recovering from injury, or pitchers who have a history of injuries. The pitcher wants to keep the pitch count low because of his stamina. Often a starting pitcher will be removed from the game after 100 pitches, regardless of the actual number of innings pitched, as it is reckoned to be the maximum optimal pitch count for a starting pitcher. [color:blue]Pitch counts are sometimes less of a concern for veteran pitchers, who after years of conditioning are often able to pitch deeper into games. A pitcher's size, stature, athleticism, and pitches style (and/or type of pitch thrown) can also play a role in how many pitches a pitcher can throw in a single game while maintaining effectiveness and without risking injury.

It hasn't caught up to Halladay, yet. He's a throwback pitcher and has been mostly managed by old school coaches, including Gibbons (former catcher) and Cito. This era's pitchers are coddled, but coddling doesn't work with Halladay - and that Halladay clone Greinke in KC.

I agree with Tabler's statement last night that pitch-counts aren't that important - that it matters how hard the pitcher is throwing and whether he looks tired or not. Halladay was throwing really hard in the 9th, striking out 2 of 3.

Also, do you feel comfortable taking Halladay out after one bad inning and giving the ball over to Jesse Carlson or B.J. Ryan in the 8th? I do not.

I dont' need to prove it. I just need to notice that there are a lot of severely injured arms on the jays the past few years, combined with the generally accepted principle that 100 pitches is a max.

100 fine. 110 fine. 120 if you're Halladay, fine. 138 is a lot.

I'm a big jays supporter. Point is that a season is 162 games. To be successful they need Halladay to win what, 18-22 of em, start 35 or so, and have 30 quality starts. Or something.

My quick internet search didn't turn up Halladay's injury history. But I got this from Wiki (and yes, I know he says it happened pre-season - point is, it happens):

In 2004, Halladay was placed on the disabled list twice due to right shoulder problems. In just 133.0 innings, he went 8–8 with a 4.20 ERA. He walked 39 batters, seven more than he had walked in 2003 when he had pitched twice as many innings. He later revealed that he had been injured throughout the entire season with a "tired throwing arm", which he believed was from intense workouts in preseason.

Most of the Jays starters don't pitch that many innings or throw too many pitches. Halladay is abnormal that way.

In 2005, Roy had 5 complete games, 4 in 2006, 7 in 2007 and 9 in 2008. If anything, he's stronger now than before his shoulder injury (I can't see him getting more than 5-6 this year, and he won't catch that Greinke kid in KC).

And all pitchers have injuries, but Roy's are often non-pitching related. However, Brad Arnsberg said that Halladay's forearm injury - a strain - was due to Roy adding a cut fastball into his usual rotation in 2005.

May 31, 2007: Missed 18 games (appendicitis).

May 11, 2007: Appendicitis, 15-day DL.

Apr 22, 2006: Missed 9 games (forearm injury).

Apr 11, 2006: Forearm injury, day-to-day.

Mar 16, 2006: Signed by the Toronto Blue Jays to a three-year contract extension.

Oct 2, 2005: Missed 76 games to the end of the season (left leg injury).

Jul 9, 2005: Left leg injury, 15-day DL (left leg injury).

Sep 21, 2004: Missed 61 games (right shoulder injury).

Jul 20, 2004: Right shoulder injury, 15-day DL (retroactive to July 17th).

Jun 12, 2004: Missed 14 games (right shoulder injury).

Jun 3, 2004: Right shoulder injury, 15-day DL (retroactive to May 28th).

Jun 1, 2004: Right shoulder injury, day-to-day.

Jan 22, 2004: Re-signed by the Toronto Blue Jays to a four-year contract.

Jan 17, 2003: Agreed to terms on a one-year contract.

Jun 30, 2001: Recalled from Syracuse (AAA).

Mar 29, 2001: Optioned to Dunedin (A).