Jambands.ca

QOTD-What song....?

Patchoulia

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my morning jacket - "i will be there when you die"

My friend and bandmate Dan Griffin covered that song last night in an acoustic set. Great tune.

As far as tunes that tug at the ol' heartstrings for me, I can think of a few:

Hank Williams - I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry

The Band - Tears of Rage, It Makes No Difference, there are so many good ones

Joel Plaskett - The Day You Walked Away

I Will Take you Home -- GD (though I have fianlly managed to only get seriously choked up, tears abated)

Dingy...I imagine you jest, but like Mr. Poppa, there is a Spearhead tune that makes me very teary..."Bomb the World, " and it always happens at the line "then why they ain't bombing Tim McVeigh's home town." I can never escape the image of a firefighter carrying out the dead body of a toddler from the daycare in the buliding he blew up.

for the same reason (the brutal death, suffering & mistreatment of innocent children)....Black Eyed Peas' "Where is the Love" ("Nations droppin' bombs..Chemical gasses fillin' lungs of little ones") chokes me up badly, too.

call me a suck...I'm actually crying right now.

last night of the world - bruce cockburn

he played it at harbourfront 1999>2000. i was there with the scullies, and had just started dating niffermouse. every time i hear it i think about all of those people and that moment.

dammit! now i'm choked up even thinking about it :P

thank jeebus for music!

Edited by Guest

he stopped loving her today -george jones

my dad used to listen to this song a lot and it always mad me sad, but now that he's gone, this song makes me cry.

and how can i help you to say goodbye -patty loveless- one of my mom's favs. why, i dunno, 'cause it's a real depressing song.

just something about those sad country songs...

ooh, and High time- GD that was playing when i found out my dad was sick.

anyways, enough sad talk!

Edited by Guest

I'm about as non-religious as you can get, but my family is pretty Catholic and I attended Catholic school growing up; as a result, most of the people that I have known for a long time also some from Catholic families... so, I have been to a lot of funerals in the Catholic Church. The one song that always chokes me up - even just thinking about it - is the hymn "Be Not Afraid", because I have heard it at just about every funeral I have ever attended.

You shall cross the barren desert, but you shall not die of thirst.

You shall wander far in safety though you do not know the way.

You shall speak your words in foreign lands and all will understand.

You shall see the face of God and live.

Be not afraid.

I go before you always;

Come follow me,

and I will give you rest.

If you pass through raging waters in the sea, you shall not drown.

If you walk amid the burning flames, you shall not be harmed.

If you stand before the pow'r of hell and death is at your side, know that I am with you through it all.

Be not afraid.

I go before you always;

Come follow me,

Blessed are your poor, for the kingdom shall be theirs.

Blest are you that weep and mourn, for one day you shall laugh.

And if wicked men insult and hate you all because of me, blessed, blessed are you!

Be not afraid.

I go before you always;

Come follow me,

The other one that always gets me is "Taps" (or is it called "Last Post"?). When I was in grade six or so, my great-grandfather died, and as a veteran of *both* World Wars, he was given a full military funeral, complete with 21-gun salute, bagpipes, the ceremonial flag-folding, and playing that tune on trumpet or bugle or whatever it is. Those moments of that song are etched into my brain more sharply than a lot of other memories are.

Sunday, Bloody Sunday-U2

Soul One-Blind Melon

Don't Worry, Be Happy-Bobby Mcpherin (I am not kidding, it reminds me of something crappy. Whenever I hear it, at first I'm sad, and then I feel like a dilhole for feeling sad at such a lighthearted song)

Something Stupid-the version with Nicole Kidman (It reminds me of something really fun that I did with someone whom I now pity.)